The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

kicker h.p?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cbull

City/Region: charleston
State or Province: SC
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: knot yankee
Photos: Knot Yankee
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: kicker h.p? Reply with quote

thinking about a honda 15. Does a 15 do the job? has anyone attached kicker to main?
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

15 hp is plenty--probaly 8 hp is enough--I used smaller. We have a 15 on our CD 25 and it pushes it at hull speed--which is what any kicker will do. I have run larger sailboats with 5 hp as an auxillary--and made many trips to Catalina with 5 hp on a 26 foot boat, which had as much frontal area, and weight was twice that of a CD 25. But the top speed was only about 5.5 knots.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
MikeMac

City/Region: Stafford
State or Province: TX
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Photos: MikeMac
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:37 pm    Post subject: 8 Reply with quote

cbull,
I've got a older Honda BF8 and it does a fine job. Years ago C-Dory recommended the 75/8 combo. I don't know what they recommend now. A 15 is neither fish nor fowl, overpowered for displacement hull speed, and not enough for planing speed. Save your money and spend it on other doodads!

Mike
Edwin

City/Region: Edmonton
State or Province: AB
C-Dory Year: 1990
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Lady C
Photos: LADY C
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:38 pm    Post subject: Kicker size Reply with quote

I installed a Yamaha 9.9 four stroke on our 22' angler that is doing the trick. Now I realize that an 8 would also be adequate for emergencies and any fishing needs.
What I would recommend to be as important as picking the size, is to go with the remote tilt and start and controls so that it can be completely operated from inside the cab. A connecting rod to the main will look after the steering.
The Yamaha 8 hp or 9.9 four stroke comes with full remote in the high thrust series. Those engines have relatively large alternators on them that will help with battery issues while fishing or slow cruising using the kicker.
Hope this helps a little
Ed
tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: kicker h.p? Reply with quote

cbull wrote:
thinking about a honda 15. Does a 15 do the job? has anyone attached kicker to main?

I use an 8hp Honda long shaft, Works great! Here is a partial pict. of the link that connects them But the 9.9 has a bigger alternator to charge batts while trolling! Then again I think the 15 & 9.9 weigh the same, might as well have the extra 5hp? Also, when I have to do it again a Yamaha kicker is what I will buy Wink

Here is a better pict of the connector rod

Basically 2 female brass air fittings on the motors & 2 male on plastic ball type joints on the link rod. I cant remember the brand name, has been on 3 diff boats (pretty durable) Here it is E.Z. Steer http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000AXZTW?smid=A3URPP7JEEVM1B&tag=nextag-sg-20&linkCode=asn
I use an electronic speed control (Troll King by Mari-Mar Lewiston Id.) Mr. Green Beer

Last edited by tsturm on Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:53 pm; edited 5 times in total
dogon dory

C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: DogOnDory
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Folks - Post Deleted By Author

Last edited by dogon dory on Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:11 am    Post subject: kicker Reply with quote

Even though I have two Honda 8hp kickers, and the kick is plenty for a cd 22, I think the nicest kicker I have used is the Yamaha 8hp. Pleanty of power, and the best throttle adjustment (tiller) I have used. I understand that there are electronic throttles out there for the Hondas, but I have not used them. If I were to do it over again, i would go with the Yamaha......

Steve
tsturm

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dogon dory wrote:
Inquiring minds want to know....are those fish pre-bonk or post-bonk???

Laughing Laughing Post bonk, but they came out of 30deg water Mr. Green Beer
flapbreaker

City/Region: Hillsboro
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Playin' Hooky
Photos: Playin' Hooky
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 8hp honda classic and it is plenty. I actually want to slow the troll down a little more at times. Might look into a different prop. I woudn't want the extra weight of the 15hp since I already put too much weight in the back while fishing.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flapbreaker wrote:
I have the 8hp honda classic and it is plenty. I actually want to slow the troll down a little more at times. Might look into a different prop. I woudn't want the extra weight of the 15hp since I already put too much weight in the back while fishing.

flapbreaker-

At slow displacement speeds, the boat is driven so easily that downsizing the pitch won't change the speed of the boat much, if at all. The lower pitch just gets more efficient at transferring momentum and energy.

Might have to introduce some drag, like a bucket, or a thrust diverter, like a trolling plate.

Good fishing!

Joe. Teeth

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
tsturm

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flapbreaker wrote:

Try turning the idle speed down & adjusting air/fuel while in gear, warm, @ idle?? Works for me Mr. Green Beer
Chris Bulovsky

City/Region: Washburn
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 1998
Vessel Name: SCOUT
Photos: SCOUT
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cbull- A 9.9 works pretty well. It will not plain the boat but it will run all day on minimal fuel. I do like the hydraulic tilt feature and would echo what others have said about that. Some boats have 15 hp kickers but I'm not sure what the advantage is. It certainly isn't cost.
You could apply the same argument to the size of the main... 50 Vs 70 or 90 Vs 115hp.
I look at the kicker as the disposable one to rack hours on . However this motor may outlast me. I only have experience with the Honda 9.9 but I have a pal with 9.9 Merc and he can't say enough good things about it. Of course Mercury is his sponsor for the Walleye trail. Laughing

Consider the 8s or 9.9s..... they match a 22' nicely

Good Hunting

Chris Bulovsky
breausaw

City/Region: Anchorage
Vessel Name: Triple J
Photos: Triple J
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve got a chance to buy a low hr 3 yr old 15hp Tohatsu 4 stroke long shaft for about a grand, and seriously considering the perchance. Tohatsu, Mercury, and Nissan come off the same assemble line and I’ve owned them all, great motors. Would probable link them for steering but can’t justify power tilt and electric start for a kicker? If the price is right why not go with a 15?

2007 22ft C-Dory Triple J 2007-2012
2007 25ft C-Dory Triple J 2012-2018
Boatless for now but looking
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume this kicker is for a 22, and I'm surprised that no one has mentioned weight.

Honda is a great motor and has the following weights:
8 hp-77lbs (old style),
8-9.9 hp- 98 lbs,
15 hp- 108 lbs
Add 10 lbs for electric start.

Tohatsu is also a great motor:
8-9.9 hp- 77 to 83 lbs
15 hp-120 lbs

Hanging extra weight off the back of a small boat isn't always good, so I suggest the lightest motor which would do the job. If you're buying new, look at a 8-9.9 hp motor (same displacement, smaller carb,) and cheaper. However, if the price is right, all bets are off.

Boris
breausaw

City/Region: Anchorage
Vessel Name: Triple J
Photos: Triple J
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hanging extra weight off the back of a small boat isn't always good, so I suggest the lightest motor which would do the job. If you're buying new, look at a 8-9.9 hp motor (same displacement, smaller carb,) and cheaper. However, if the price is right, all bets are off.

Boris

I just sold a 9.8 Tohatsu 2 stroke short shaft that hang off my Porta-bote, 60lbs wet. They don't import these anymore but if I could find one used with long shaft think I'd consider it.
Eventually kicker size direct injection 2 strokes will be all the rage, but that’s a few years off.
Your right about extra weight been a factor on the sturn, guess I could bring along my dry suite and jet fins for emergency kicker duty. Mr. Green
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: