The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Attention to detail
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Taco
Photos: <a>Da Boats</a>
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 9:25 pm    Post subject: Attention to detail Reply with quote

My brother-in-law, in addition to being an ace mechanic, always has an eye out for the little technical details that separate quality and craftsmanship from the ordinary. In looking at Da New Da Nag today, he was impressed with the craftmanship in general, but noticed something I'd never have seen. It's pretty remarkable, even though it's rather simple.

Without only one exception, the factory installed through-bolts all line up. They were not installed willy-nilly, with the cross in the phillips head pointing in random directions. Here's an example of one of the cleats. The only exception I could find on the entire boat was the port side fuel cap ring.

Again, while it's not a big deal, to me it's just another example of the pride these folks take in building these boats.

How about the rest of you - is mine just special, or is this typical?

Luna C

City/Region: Lake Goodwin/Center Island
C-Dory Year: 2019
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Panthera
Photos: Luna C
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had to go out & check... Yes, most everything. My Jr high wood shop teacher would be proud!
eieioh

City/Region: Gig Harbor
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Brave Heart
Photos: Brave Heart
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry guys, but to suggest that this adds anything to the quality of the boat is totally whacky. Two bits from an old toolmaker.
Chuck S

City/Region: Cleveland
State or Province: OH
Vessel Name: Amelia Anne
Photos: Amelia Anne
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'w tith E I E I O!

Absolutely bogus. There's no need to "index" these and to do so implies they're all threaded exactly the same reference the slot and that all the holes are drilled identically and that the hull thickness is exactly the same.

But I'll check our boat the next time the cover is off.

I suspect some of these may be looser than others.

-- Chuck
Da Nag

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, you guys are tough...Razz

It's not that it adds any functional value, that's pretty obvious. I just think it says something about the guys on the assembly line. I find it refreshing that somebody is proud enough of their product and cares enough about their work to do something like this - something most of their customers will probably never even notice.

While the act of lining up machine screw heads provides nothing other than an aesthetical appeal, I find it hard to believe this type of attention to detail wouldn't carry over in other areas of the manufacturing process - areas where the extra effort would result in a functional benefit.

It's certainly a mindset I would value in an employee...that was my only point.
Luna C

City/Region: Lake Goodwin/Center Island
C-Dory Year: 2019
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Panthera
Photos: Luna C
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, It does seem a bit funny. But are your slot screws on your light switch covers vertical? Is the wood grain on plugs lined up with the grain of the rest of the wood? These things do not make the lights turn on quicker or the furniture sturdier. To me, they do mean something. Back to my Jr high wood shop teacher - it is the way you do it if you want an "A"! Besides, I think my boat does go a bit faster because of the heads lining up. Must be an aerodynamic advantage.

Also, I wonder.... Are all of da Nerds latte mug handles lined in the same direction??!?

It's all fun here on the C-Brat site.
Da Nag

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luna C wrote:

Also, I wonder.... Are all of da Nerds latte mug handles lined in the same direction??!?

Heh - Da Nerd got an F on his last latte excursion. Met up with the C-Dogs in Napa Thursday night, but brought the same machine that was being tempermental at Lopez. Didn't even get one latte out - the steam switch bit the dust for good.

No need to fear, Brat Buddies - parts are on the way and will be installed, tested, lined up, polished and inspected with the same fervor as is applied to C-Dory deck hardware prior to Blakely... Mr. Green

And C-Dogs - my apologies. You'll get yours next time.
eieioh

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill
Head Nerd said ...

It's certainly a mindset I would value in an employee...that was my only point.

Any employee of mine whose mind is occupied adding this cost to a boat would get a dope slap on the starboard side of his scull. Don't you love this whackiness on a gray Sunday morning.
B~C

City/Region: Bend
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would imagine that they have a tool that clamps on the davit that engages those heads so one person can tighten all the nuts on the inside.
Chuck S

City/Region: Cleveland
State or Province: OH
Vessel Name: Amelia Anne
Photos: Amelia Anne
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If my employees were wasting valuable production indexing these screws I'd be POed. Time is money.

But I've not had the cover off mine. Maybe I can peek tonight at at least one fitting.

I just checked the grip screws on several of my pistols and they're all willy whacky! A quick glance around the office here and so are the coverplate screws! What will folks think?! Smile

-- Chuck
eieioh

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of this talk about screws reminds me of the guy who escaped from the lunatic assylum. While hiding in the laundrymat, he had his way with a couple of ladies there then ran off without being caught. Newspaper headlines the next morning declared:

NUT SCREWS WASHERS AND BOLTS.

Twisted Evil
DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can no longer resist! I too must jump into this "screwy" discussion. Crook

Yes, I checked my cleat screws and yes they are all "dressed" in military fashion.

Unless B~C is correct on his thoughts of the method of installation, I would presume that if someone were holding a screwdriver "topside", while someone else tightened the nuts below deck, that there would be little or no additional production time spent in keeping the screw slots in line and in "Bristol fashion". This is the type of attention to detail that adds to the clean lines our C-Dorys are "famous" for.

Now, I'll be checking the other brands of boats to see if they are properly slotted.

Chris, yes I checked and all the screw slots on our household light switches are vertical......reckon I had a good builder! (I do know he wouldn't let just anyone work for him).

C-Brat #16
Sawdust

City/Region: Oak Harbor
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Photos: C-Salt
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Difficult subject, ain't it. My Yugo's screws are not lined up, and checked the neighbor's Rolls -- they are. Guess it depends on what you want to drive.

Gives me a warm fuzzy feeling when I see screw heads lined up, hoses double clamped with real stainless, and bolts torqued with a t-wrench. GeePaw used to call it pride in your work... an extra buck or two? This plastic bucket with a $$green lining is my love.

Dusty

Chivita

City/Region: Hansville
Vessel Name: Chivita
Photos: Chivita
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my visits to the Kent C-Dory factory prior to purchasing Chivita, I had noticed their attention to detail and pride in the product in quite a few areas. Helped me justify why a C-Dory costs four times more than a Bayliner. Go ahead and call me wacky because obviously I believe that lining up those silly screws does contribute to the quality of my boat and I'll pay more to get that! Guess that's why EQ Marine's business is so highly thought of, talk about someone who takes pride in the finished product!
Lynn Marie

City/Region: Redmond
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1997
Photos: Lynn Marie
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't sit idle any longer with this bolting of hardware. The screw lineup is all just about looks but can also have a purpose. We to asked our riggers to line up the slots on thru-bolt fastners and the main reason was so that the crew, because it did take two normally, wouldn't allow the shaft to spin in the hole which tends to work sealant around to much. Keeping the bolt shaft straight and tight makes it less likely to leak by only squeezing excess out and not pushing it sideways leaving a void. Less likely to leak works for me and I'm happy to pay a crew to do things the way I want them done. Good work has good results.

My 2 cents worth,

Tim

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: