Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
No Worries

City/Region: South Puget Sound
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: No Worries
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:46 pm    Post subject: Water seperator/filter question Reply with quote

SO I am in the process of doing a tune up on my boat. I changed the fuel filters in the engines and the water separator/filter. It is a honda filter/separator. Well I must have done something wrong. I cant get the gas to flow now. I see there is a vent screw on the water/separator filter. What step did I miss here? I disconnected the fuel lines when I was replacing the fuel filter. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Doug
dogon dory

State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: DogOnDory
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Folks - Post Deleted By Author

Last edited by dogon dory on Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
No Worries

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks mucho... I will give that a try tommorow...... Doug
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a little check valve in the connector that needs to be pushed down to get the fuel to flow. You've got to push it in with a tool or something while you pump the bulb...

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or you can disconnect the hose before the connector at the engine (assuming that there is a conector at the engine, which is removiable.

If we have a problem like this, we hook up our electric fuel pump. Once when I changed out a filter connector, I had used teflon tape on the threads (rated for gasoline and diesel) and some how I had gotten a bit of the tape over the lumen of the fitting!--so check it out if pumping or pulling the fuel thru doesn't work properly...(I am not familiar with your specific filter, since I use Racor filters).

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
No Worries

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks mucho.... when you say in the connector, you mean the fuel hose itself?? Its a snap on coupling for the fuel hoses, so push the little ball in there in a bit and then pump the bulb to get the fuel pumping then reconnect to the filter??

Its the honda water separator.... I do see a vent screw that has an allen head on it, I wounder if I open that up and pump it until fuel comes in if that will work....

thanks again...

Doug
marvin4239

City/Region: Jacksonville Florida/Wilmington NC
Vessel Name: C-FLE II
Photos: C-FLE II
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the problem you are describing all the time with my Mercury. All I do is as Charlie said disconnect the fuel line from the engine push the little ball in with a phillips head and pump the squeeze ball til I get a good flow of fuel. Happens every time I run a tank empty.
No Worries

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay I have bleed the lines as you described above. Was having some issues and figured out that I had the o-ring and rubber gasket in the backasswards position (honda water separator), which was causing an air leak. so I put them in the correct position and I got one line to pull fuel but not the other. Makes no sense to me, switched them around and still same deal. I have dual outboards.... and recommendations?

Thanks in advance and have a good Tday.... Doug
tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Worries wrote:
Okay I have bleed the lines as you described above. Was having some issues and figured out that I had the o-ring and rubber gasket in the backasswards position (honda water separator), which was causing an air leak. so I put them in the correct position and I got one line to pull fuel but not the other. Makes no sense to me, switched them around and still same deal. I have dual outboards.... and recommendations?

Thanks in advance and have a good Tday.... Doug

Pump fuel through (with the squeeze bulb) 1 line at a time with the fuel line to the other motor disconnected? Mr. Green Beer

Last edited by tsturm on Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dogon dory wrote:
It's probably just vapor locked. Disconnect the hose from the engine, stick the end in a can or something and pump the bulb until fuel comes out. Then reconnect it and you should be good to go.

Vapor lock requires heat to Vaporize the fuel Wink
Might have a air lock though?
I feel like a wise ass today Mr. Green Beer
Forty Two

City/Region: Prince William Sound
C-Dory Year: 2017
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Black Cat
Photos: Barrel O Monkeys
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last spring I was putting the fuel filters back on the boat, and couldn't get fuel to flow. Turns out there was a check valve at the top of the fuel tank that was stuck shut. When I finally figured out where the problem was, I unscrewed the check valve, washed it in WD40, and got a little crud out. After that, it worked just fine.
snal

City/Region: Asheville
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 1994
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Thelma Lou
Photos: Thelma Lou
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you supposed to prime, or fill the new filters with fuel? I wondered about this when I changed mine, didn't have any flow problems installing them dry, but I have always wondered if I should have primed them.
Currently looking for a steal of a deal on a 25' "Thelma Lou II"
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The check valve that fishbob found, is the anti siphon valve, which is required on gasoline tanks. It looks like a pipe thread to hose barb fitting, but has the ball valve and a spring in it. One of these on my Tom Cat was defective when the boat was new, so I carry spares aboard.

I just use the primer bulb to pull fuel thru the filter. I have always filled diesel filters up with fuel, but not gas.
Almas Only

City/Region: Richmond
State or Province: VA
Vessel Name: Alma's Only
Photos: Alma's Only
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I'm missing something on the basics of the problem first stated, but if you're pumping the fuel bulb (with gas tank valve selector in the proper position, gas in the tank, and the bulb getting and remaining hard), but gas is not filling the Racor bowl after changing the filter element, it's because you have air in the fuel delivery system, AND fuel in the carb bowls. If the carb bowls have a full load of fuel, their floats are in the "up" position, and neither air nor gas is going to flow through the bulb, no matter how long, nor how hard you pump. Therefore, no fuel is going to be drawn out of the gas tank, and no fuel is going to fill the Racor.

You can fix this either of two ways. First, as already suggested, separate the fuel hose at the motor, and use an electrical cable strap or something else to depress the ball valve in the connector. Then, with the ball depressed, the connector elevated, and the bulb in the vertical position, fuel and air can flow freely out the end of the hose as you pump the bulb, and you will draw fuel from the tank, displace the air in the system, and fill the Racor bowl. But, if you've already pumped the bulb, watch out, because the hose is under pressure, and you're likely to get a face full of gas when you depress the ball. And, since the fuel delivery system is now "open", watch out for fuel coming out the end of the hose, which is a rather crude way of telling when you've pumped the bulb enough.

Or, you can simply drain one of the carburator bowls, causing that carb's float to lower, and it's fill valve to open. Then, pump the bulb. The carb's valve will stay open, so long as you're just passing air, since there's nothing for the float to float in. Once the air is purged through the carb, and gas is flowing through the bulb and into the carb's bowl, the float will raise, closing the carb's inlet valve. At that point, you should have all fuel, and no air, in the Racor. If not, you pumped the bulb too fast. If that's the case, drain the carb bowl again, and go slower pumping. If you watch the Racor bowl while you're pumping, it's pretty easy to see what's happening. Since all you need is for the carb's valve to open slightly, you don't really have to drain it's bowl all the way. Try removing just a little fuel, and see if that's enough to open the carb's float valve. It's pretty east to tell if you've removed enough fuel, if you keep a hand on the fuel bulb. Once the carb's float valve opens, the bulb will go soft as the pressure in the fuel deivery system is reduced through the carb. At that point, you're set to pump the bulb.

Larry H

City/Region: Tulalip,
C-Dory Year: 1991
Photos: Nancy H
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of comments:

Point the arrow on the primer bulb "up" to the sky, and then squeeze the bulb to pump. The check valves in the primer bulb are gravity activated.

Get a spare fitting (the one that the fuel hose clips onto at the motor) for the end of the gas line. Then snap the fitting into the connector on the end of the fuel hose and pump away. This lets the fuel and air flow out the end of the hose without spray.

This same fitting lets you 'pump' (by squeezing the bulb) gas from the boat tank into a dingy motor or other small tank.

A C-Brat since Nov 1, 2003
Ranger Tug 27 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2017 - 2022
Puget Trawler 37 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2006-2017
1991 22' Cruiser, 'Nancy H'--1991-2006
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fuel Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: