View previous topic :: View next topic  
blackfish

City/Region: saltair
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: raincoast
Photos: Raincoast
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:29 pm    Post subject: laptop as chartplotter Reply with quote

I'm thinking of using my laptop as a chartplotter
as far as I understand I need to purchase software (was thinking of Fugawi Marine software) then I'll need gps for the laptop
so here's the question is there a way to connect my Garmin 182C to the laptop or do I need to buy something else

thanks for your help
flapbreaker

City/Region: Hillsboro
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Playin' Hooky
Photos: Playin' Hooky
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the specs of your Garmin it has the following Interfaces:

2-RS232 with NMEA 0183, RTCM 104 DGPS
data format and proprietary GARMIN

You would use the RS232 port on the Garmin.
dogon dory

State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: DogOnDory
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Folks - Post Deleted By Author

Last edited by dogon dory on Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
tpbrady

City/Region: Anchorage
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Bidarka II
Photos: Bidarka
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blackfish,

If your laptop has a serial port, the easiest way is to connect the NMEA output of the Garmin to the laptop through the serial port. I don't recall the exact pinout for the serial connector but can look it up and send it along.

You can also buy a relatively inexpensive USB GPS for the laptop that will Fugawi. I have a copy of Fugawi and use it for route planning and printing out charts. I haven't used it for navigation, but my impression it is a little clunky compared to a Garmin or the Lowrance I use. It's just not that easy to use.

38 Trawler Mia Terra 2012-2015
42 Nordic Tug 2015-
28 KingFisher 2009-2014
14 Jetcraft 2000-
17 Scanoe 1981-
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use our laptop as a chartplotter in facts its the reason we found the C-Brat site. Prior to purchasing the laptop for the C-Dory we had zero computer experience. The previous owner of our boat used the lap top with the nobeltec software and highly recommended it to us. We still have the Lowrance 100 marine gps connected to the laptop and have our Garmin 276C connected to auto pilot. For back up either unit can be connected to laptop or auto pilot. Only use the laptop when making extended cruise and the Garmin 276C the rest of the time. Had problems with both nobeltec software and Garmin 276C on this past summer cruise. Fortunately not both at the same time.

Wished all the gps units were as trouble free as the little Lowrance 100 marine.

On a 22 the major problem we have found using a laptop as a chartplotter is where to put it so it can be easily seen and used in tight conditions and still be out of the way. Maybe some of the new smaller laptops could be installed in such a way as to not make this a problem. The Nobletec Navigational Software is probably the best to be had (don't know enough about whats available to say for sure) but if we didn't have the money already tied into what we have, I would now go with one of main brand chartplotter combinations, that are mounted out of the way and where they can be better seen.

Jay

Hunkydory

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This photo shows how we ended up mounting the laptop as a chartplotter on our last cruise. It was still somewhat in the way and there were times I wished I didn't have to look down at all to view it.

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A RAM mount is the best way to secure the Laptop:
http://www.ram-mount.com/

We have used laptops on trawlers. Our personal experience is that the incovience of the lap top outways its advantages, but we still use one for planning. The problems which we encounted were "daylight viewing"--night time viewing (not dim enough, but there are "night settings" for the programs. We used a "hood" made of cardboard, or black foam board and velcro for the daytime. It is difficult to find laptops with screens as bright as most marine plotters (brightness reported in NITs). 500 nits is a niminum for good viewing in our experience.

We have used serial interfaces--plus the USB input from "puck" type of gPS. There are converters for Serial to USB--but be sure that it will work well for your application. These start at about $15, on up.

We like to have our chart plotting right below foreward line of sight, so that you do not have to take your eyes off the water, or if so, for a brief time only. We find that dedicated chart plotters have a faster redraw and quilting time than laptops. The brightness and dimness has been mentioned. The controls of a dedicated plotter are much easier to use than a laptop--at least for us. Also the dedicated plotters are a more stable platform.

We found that laptops (or other computers) will last 4 years or more when used full time on a boat--as long as you keep them dry and run them regularly. We did eventually have problems with keyboard corrosion, which was the end of the laptop in one instance. But to get a 15 inch screen--the lap top is definately the way to go. I would suggest that you get a "DeLorme" streets and trips with USB gps reciever for about $70 and see how well the laptop works before investing in a full blown marine program. (Or at least the high end programs.) There are some advantages to Fugawi software. We have been using Maptech's Offshore navigator recently as our program, with the low cost DVD's which have all of the US ENC charts, and updating when necessary from the internet. The charts are free for down load, but it takes enough time, that it was wort the $39 to get all of the US on one DVD. I downloaded the entire DVD to the computer hard drive--thus I have all of the charts I need for planning very quickly available.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
dogon dory

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by dogon dory on Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
mikeporterinmd

State or Province: MD
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: Shelly IV
Photos: Shelly-IV
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How well do laptops take to the pounding? Although I have access to
two expensive laptops, I don't own either. So, I've been hesitant to
try them in a running boat. I have had CDs skip badly... maybe we let the
boat pound too much?

Mike
Hunkydory

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ours is sitting a on a ram-mount base, but couldn't get the rest of the ram-mount to work where needed as well as those three bungee's. Unbelievable how they held the computer through some awfully rough water and it was very easy to put up or move out of the way. Also didn't want it up and where water could get to it through the center window. Sure didn't want to lose another computer like we did in Fords Terror rapids 2004.

I think but may be wrong that one of the other C-Brats was able to mount the computer with the ram-mounts on a 22. Just didn't work for me.

Jay
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, here's my 2 cents. We've used laptops for navigation and piloting to about a decade. Used them in Mexico, So Pacific, Alaska, East Coast, Great Lakes, etc. Always worked well. Quit using paper charts years ago, except for overall planning. And Bob's correct as to lifetime, since we're on the third one. Dogon Dory's correct, about every 3 years, we have to "upgrade." The abuse those computers can take is remarkable.

Tried about 4 programs: Capn, Maptech, Fugawi, and one other I can't remember. They all appear to be about the same, though Capn will plot a great circle route for you. What is important is that you learn how to use the one you have, for route planning (navigation,) following the course (piloting,) developing routes etc, etc. A lot of people I've talked to have the programs, but don't take the time to really learn how to use them.

We also have a chart plotter, a small one with GPS, radar, etc. So for short term piloting, I use a reference set of waypoints I've developed on the computer, and follow them. This allows me (the helmsman) to compare where the chartplotter says to go with what's really out there. By the way, we have C-Map, and I'm happy with them. If someone likes something else better, OK. One advantage of the computer, is that when you don't have a chip for the area you're going through, it's easy to copy a CD and use it on the computer. We didn't have a chip for the Canadian canal, and someone nicely gave us a CD.

As to placement, the chartplotter is overhead, and I can glance up to see if we're on course, whilst steering. The computer is on the table, and Judy does the navigation. She seems to love to tell me where to go. She will check off the buoys, turns and other routing stuff, while I try (with the autopilot) to stay on course and not hit anything. Works well. Sometimes we have a spirited discussion as to what island that really is.

GPS's are cheap, and having one dedicated to the computer and one for the radar/chartplotter makes sense. Light houses are now an anachronism, and I noticed that buoys are not a prevalent as they used to be. Paper charts are no longer required for commercial ships. Also not all computers have serial ports these days. So having a laptop is almost mandatory, but make sure that you can connect the GPS to it. They're cheaper and can do more that a 12" dedicated chartplotter. Like get the e-mail and weather.

Boris
blackfish

City/Region: saltair
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: raincoast
Photos: Raincoast
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so do I have to buy the electronic charts on top of the marine software whether its Maptech, Fugawi,etc.?
thanks for all the info
dogon dory

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by dogon dory on Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thing about this forum, we can agree, disagree and find solutions. For night use, get some red gel filters or red plexiglass, if the program does not allow very low level chart viewing (One of the reasons we use the Maptech offshore navigator is that it has some very good viewing light levels--and then you can dim the computer also)--http://www.maptech.com/water/OffshoreNavigator/gallery.cfm

We don't listen to CD's any more (except maybe the Great courses), plus the "Altec Lansing" computer speakes don't compare to the Bose on the boat's system...--because the Sirius radio gives us all of the entertainment and world contact we need. We do still carry a computer, do the planning on it, and use it for all other manor of items; communication, photos and other fun things!

The lasting 4 years I thought was really a plus--since much of our cruising was from Alaska to the Tropics and full time aboard the boat. I had thought that it would not last that long--and I agree that I upgrade laptops at least every three years.

The DVD's of all of the US charts are so cheap, (last year it was $39--this year it is $49, along with soft wear)--http://www.maptech.com/water/usboatingcharts/index.cfm

I don't agree with not carrying paper charts, however. There is always the possibility of loosing computer, power etc--and so I always have back up charts (still have a few hundred for Alaska and BC--and if we make it up there this year, they will be aboard--maybe old habits hang on, but we consider it a safety issue). But for instance, the DVD/CD drive on one of my laptops just went South--if I didn't have the charts loaded on the hard drive, it could be a problem. Also I carry several 60 gig hard drives (firelight)--USB operated 2.5" drives, and they back up all which is on the hard drive of my computer--including all of my charts.

I like to avoid the pounding because of my back--but the laptops can take everything my back can! I personally would not mount them to areas where they were shock loaded.

Now as for "Great Circle routes"--for C Dories--not sure we will need that! Even with the Tom Cat--the range is not quite far enough, plus we would probably head due South if it was: :lol:

I agree that we do have a lot more sunshine in FL than in Ak, but in the pilot house the visual problem is not as bad as it is on a flying bridge. I also agree that there is no real advantage to the 17" wide screens for a boat computer. We use a 13" screen computer on the boat.
dogon dory

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by dogon dory on Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: