The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

bilge pump which one?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blackfish

City/Region: saltair
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: raincoast
Photos: Raincoast
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:39 pm    Post subject: bilge pump which one? Reply with quote

sorry I know this has been covered before
I'm going to install a second bilge pump between the fuel tanks and replace the one in the cabin ( the stupid thing wakes me up every ten minutes all night long)which one should I buy I'm thinking I need one with a float in the cabin so it only comes on when needed

thanks
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first thing I'd ask is why the pump in the cabin comes on every 10 min. The last time a bilge pump did that for me, I found a serious leak. What am I missing (as usual)?

Boris
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boris, for awhile C-Dory was installing the Rule "fully automatic" bilge pumps. These have no float switch and their normal operation is to cycle on every 10 mins. Water is detected by increased resistance in the pump. Many previous CD owners found (find) this very annoying and replaced it with a more traditional float switch operated pump. I put a 1100GPM in Rule with an integrated switch in the cabin and another 1100 GPM with a normal float switch under the motor well.
blackfish

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Roger on the SeaDNA thats what i have a "fully automatic" bilge pump.The "integrated switch in the cabin" so the pump only comes on when you hit the switch?

thanks again
rogerbum

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blackfish wrote:
thanks Roger on the SeaDNA thats what i have a "fully automatic" bilge pump.The "integrated switch in the cabin" so the pump only comes on when you hit the switch?

thanks again

No - this kind of pump from Rule . The non-mercury float switch is built into the unit. You can also buy pumps and float switches separately.
blackfish

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks rogerbum that's just what I need. Where did you put the drain for the one under the motor well?
rogerbum

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blackfish wrote:
thanks rogerbum that's just what I need. Where did you put the drain for the one under the motor well?

I put mine in the port side near the stern a bit above the water line. Taped over the spot with masking tape - used a hole saw. Run the hole saw in reverse to gently enter the gel coat and go real slow with little pressure when you close to the exiting.

Also, I find it handy to wire an additional switch that's a manual override. The rule automatic pumps have a wire for this. That allows you to turn it on whenever you want it - help clear that last little bit of water.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good thinking all the way through guys!

Putting a replacement pump in the stern under the engine well is a great idea, no matter what!

The only benefit of that mid-cabin "fully automatic" pump is when the boat is moored, docked, or at anchor and needs a forward pump to pump out rainwater which accumulates next to the cabin bulkhead.

Rather than simply yank it out or or completely replace it with a conventional float activated pump, a simpler solution would be to simply put a switch in the power supply line, allowing you to turn it off to sleep. You can then activate it when the boat is left moored unmanned or you're aboard and it's already raining and you need it (you probably won't be able to hear it if it's raining good).

Be sure to add the stern pump anyway!

Just a thought to add......

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Steven Dore

City/Region: Ocean Marine - Portsmouth, VA
State or Province: VA
Vessel Name: Orca
Photos: Orca
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I installed my second pump between the fuel tanks, I used the drain line that was connected to my port side stern compartment. I disconnected the hose from the through hull fitting and connected the bilge pump hose. That way I didn't have to drill another hole in the boat.
MOOSE

City/Region: Rainy Lake - Int'l. Falls
State or Province: MN
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: MOOSE
Photos: MOOSE
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I replaced out fully automatic Rule with a Rule-Mate, float-switch model a couple years ago because I also didn't like the constant cycling.

Now, I too, am thinking about adding a second one between the fuel tanks, but am thinking of a small diaphragm pump to enable pumping out the last drop. I'm thinking of mounting it on the underside of the starboard lazarette shelf, with an inlet strainer in the sump and the discharge (3/4") hose shoved out the cable boot and into the motor well. Then I don't have to install another through-hull discharge port.

For those of you who have installed a more conventional Rule-Mate bilge pump between the fuel tanks, how do you feel it serves in terms of evacuating all of the accumulated water? If I don't have to spend the money on a diaphragm pump, I'd just as soon not.

As an aside, I'm also considering somehow tee-ing in a drain from the fresh water tank, through the drain fitting below the cabin door, such that on the way home from a trip I could open it and drain the water to the aft bilge and then not have to pump it out manually at home.
Al

Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:03 am    Post subject: Manual Bilge Reply with quote

I have not installed a second bilge pump yet, but I am thinking of putting a manual Whale pump in as my backup. I am thinking about glueing a good looking piece of wood to the side of the hull to screw the pump down, then running the pick up hose back to the sump between the fuel cells. For the outflow, I think that I may just clip the hose under the gunnel shelf, then flop it over the side when in use.

There was another link on this topic where someone had done something similar, but the pump was through bolted to the hull.

Steve
blackfish

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'm going to just install a switch to the cabin pump then install a second one between the fuel tanks the first owner left us a new(still in package) fully automatic so I'll just use that for now with the drain going to the existing hole on the port side

On a different note Steve just wondering what size kicker you have on the constant craving? also is that alderbay resort in your photo album?
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:00 am    Post subject: Alder Bay Reply with quote

Hi Blackfish,

Yes that is Alder Bay in the background. We decided to launch there to avoid the craziness at Telegraph Cove.

I am running a new Honda 8 (manual start/tilt) for my kicker. I started out with an older classic 8, but did not like the throttle control for trolling. It was a good engine for pushing a sailboat, but not so great as a kicker.

Regards,

Steve
C-Dawg

City/Region: Spanaway
Photos: C-Dawg
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pardon my ignorance, but does the factory still put a bilge pump in the cabin? I have a 2007 model and haven't located one, only the one between the fuel tanks.

C-Dawg sold November 2018
Not For Hire

City/Region: Cadillac, MI
State or Province: MI
Vessel Name: Not For Hire
Photos: Not For Hire
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al, I have the rule 1100 with the integral float switch in the cabin
amidships, by the door. I am sure yours is similar. I liked the pump okay. I planned to buy a big pump for the stern. Then there was a big sale and I ended up putting two more 1100s in the stern.

Both pumps are in the shallow well ahead of bilge plug. Sboard pumps thru cable gusset into motor well. Port pumps thru hull. Both exhaust hoses have goose necks, important for the port side.

The stern pumps never come on that I am awre of. Maybe they come on when I am running and get spray and the occasional green water back there. At rest, during big rains, the midships bilge always turns on first and the water level in the stern doesn't get deep enough to trigger the stern pumps. The switches for the stern pumps are in the lazarettes and if you turn them on manually they will drain to about 3/8 inch. The diaphragm pump would keep the deck drier. I have the three pumps each wired to a separate battery with the stern pumps always hot even when batteries are switched off. I'm aware of the pros and cons of doing so.

However dry your midship bilge keeps that well the stern pump will do the same in the stern well. Of course with boats our vintage the water doesn't nec. flow to stern. Lots of mixed blessings eh?

Mark

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: