The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

pre-pump strainers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nan-C

City/Region: Oakland
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: Nan-C
Photos: Nan-C
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:35 pm    Post subject: pre-pump strainers Reply with quote

I winterized the boat last week and wondered if I should be able to open the strainers for the cockpit washdown pump and the pump for the water system. Logic says I should. The appearance of a threaded cap says I should. But I can't. I'm twisting as hard as I dare at this point. Am I missing something? Should I try a strap wrench -- carefully?

Greg
flapbreaker

City/Region: Hillsboro
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Playin' Hooky
Photos: Playin' Hooky
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny you should ask. I did just that recently. I removed the hoses from the filter so I could clean it outside of the boat. I think I used a strap wrench on the cap. I had lots of plastic peices from the tank in mine.

I should add that I don't have a a 25' cruiser. My washdown was after market so maybe your filter is different.
Jeff Brigner

State or Province: TN
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Pearl
Photos: C-Pearl
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:02 pm    Post subject: wash down pump strainer Reply with quote

When you figure it out please !!!! Tell me how you do it also. Rolling Eyes It even has directions on the top. I took the lid off the shower drain pump in the locker and cleaned it out with a shop vac. Not an easy task getting the floor access off. I think I'm missing something there also. Cathy and I have pretty much decided that we should take the boat to Ft Myers Fl for the winter. That would solve the problem CoolSmile

City/Region: Sammamish
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny you should mention that. I ran into a Brat as I was entering West Marine today. We had a nice little chat . He said he just bought his wife a wash down pump for her birthday. As he pulled away I wondered if he thought her favorite flower was Pillsbury. (Yes, I know he was kidding!) My entire purchase was one stainless screw for 12 cents. Ya gotta luv a 16 footer! Wink

"...we're all in the same boat..."
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I replaced the water pump in ours last month, I had to reuse the original filter. It definitely unscrews. Our, too, was full of plastic bits from the tank being drilled out. As a side note, I mounted the pump on a vertical board so that it wouldn't be IN the bilge water. Before mounting the pump to the board, I put some non-skid behind the pump and the board (mounted to the battery shelf) - it is MUCH quieter now. And, the flow is better with the filter cleaned out.

Best wishes,
Jim B.

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The strainers unscrew--and a strap wrench would be OK if necessary. I put silicon grease on the threads and gasket when I put them back together, This makes them much easier to dis-assemble when necessary.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Nan-C

City/Region: Oakland
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: Nan-C
Photos: Nan-C
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff on C-Pearl:

I got the cap off the strainer for the washdown pump -- more by luck than anything. The space under the step into the cabin where the strainer is located was a little tight for the strap wrench, but fumbling around with the wrench finally loosened it enough for me to get it off by hand. There was enough water in there for me to feel good about getting it out before a big freeze.

The space was much more accommodating for the wrench in the case of the strainer for the water system pump. However, unlike the washdown pump strainer, which is firmly screwed down, this one clearly will not withstand much force, and I'll have to try it later with a wrench to apply counter force -- when I remember to bring one home from the blackhole we know as my mother-in-law's house. Crying or Very sad I'm not worried about this one for the moment because of the antifreeze I pumped through it. I'll probably follow Jim's lead and move the pump up and deal with the strainer cap then.

Greg
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more thought, Greg... on the pump on Wild Blue, the filter disconnects from the main body of the pump with two integral clips (located on the pumps, where the filter connects). If you can get those open (they move outward from the connection), you may be able to get a better grip on the filter to unscrew it.

HTH

Best wishes,
Jim
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: