The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Trailer Bow Ladders
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sawdust

City/Region: Oak Harbor
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Photos: C-Salt
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:24 pm    Post subject: at 61 Reply with quote

At 87, 10 months, and a lot of days, there's a whole bunch of acrobatic stuff (or lots of other stuff) that I'm not willing to try. Rolling Eyes Laughing Laughing

Man, that step from boat to dock is sure getting to be loong.

Dusty
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One inexpensive addition that I use a lot with my roller trailer that doesn't require any welding, is to fill in the "V" section behind (to the rear) of the bow post with plywood. This makes a nice standing platform upon which to walk out and attach the winch cable to the bow eye of the boat.

It can be made of 1/2" exterior plywood, sealed with a good epoxy paint, and bolted to the trailer frame with long "U" bolts. You can see mine in the second post on this thread above.

Joe. Teeth

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Sea Wolf

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a passing thought about ladders, launching, etc., that I'[d like to share with you.

Regardless of what ladders, walkways, platforms, or whatever one has to make the launching and retrieving process easier, sooner or later a situation will occur where wading in the water will be required. This is most commonly occurs when having troubles centering a boat on a trailer that doesn't have guide-ons and when retrieving the boat.

In the summer, and in fresh water, no big deal, but there are times where wading is the last thing on the list of activities wanted for the day.

Because of this, I carry two pair of boots or waders during the winter or colder months.

The first is a calf-length pair of sailing/boating pull-overs, the second a full-blown pair of chest waders intended for fly fishing.

I'd always just bitten the bullet and waded in wearing street clothes and shoes, but retrieving my other larger boat on a new trailer last March sent me borrowing a dry suit in anticipation of being Boy Scout Prepared for the Day.

After that, I decided to keep the boots and waders handy in the tow vehicle for surprise events during the cold season.

This is just another addition to the list of trailer/boat/launching equipiment list for the think-ahead boater!

Joe. Teeth
Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sea Wolf wrote:
In the summer, and in fresh water, no big deal, but there are times where wading is the last thing on the list of activities wanted for the day.
Joe. Teeth

What a crock, Joe. I mean what about Crocks? Those of us blessed with living in Paradise just wear Crocks, a pullover and shorts. In the winter - with sox and carrying a spare set of sox in the tow vehicle....

Heck, that works anywhere South of Santa Barbara, where chilly means a long sleeve shirt and (maybe) long pants. Prolly works down near Brownsville TX too, but definitely not in Byrdman Country since he moved. Wink

Don

Brat #483
"Jenny B" 2005 C-22/F75 sold, Oct. 2008
"C-Brat" 1993 C-16 angler/50 hp
patrick and linda

City/Region: somerset
State or Province: KY
C-Dory Year: 1986
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Fan-A-Sea"
Photos: Misty Seas
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi joe,
i know exactly what you mean when saying sooner or later you're going to have to wade into the water. i did exactly that, the latter part of september. it was a terrific day, had shorts on, cell phone in pocket, and without a thought, jumped right in and unlatched the hook.
well, cell phones don't work to well when submerged. after $188.00 my cell phone works just fine, now.
have a great day!
pat
DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

capt. patrick campbell wrote:
it was a terrific day, had shorts on, cell phone in pocket, and without a thought, jumped right in and unlatched the hook.
well, cell phones don't work to well when submerged.
pat

Pat, you've "hit" on a topic that I don't believe we have ever discussed. In order to prevent such occurences I've fairly consistently followed a procedure of placing my wallet, cell phone, pager etc. in the cabin of the boat during my pre-launch preparation regimen. Like wise, I don't put those items back on my "person" until after I've retrieved the vessel on to the trailer and safely out of the water. (Of course, I always grab my wallet when we get to a town while cruising....otherwise my wife will make me go back to the boat to get it.... Cry )

C-Brat #16
patrick and linda

City/Region: somerset
State or Province: KY
C-Dory Year: 1986
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Fan-A-Sea"
Photos: Misty Seas
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi dave,
makes perfect sense to me. my wife employs a check list and rarely, if ever, forgets to do what is important regarding whatever task she's engaged in. now, i've been known to laugh a time or two at her lists, but now the eggs on my face and not hers.
thanks for the suggestion, they are always welcomed.
have a great day.
pat
mwilson

City/Region: missoula
State or Province: MT
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: STORMY
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe just curious what's the purpose of the PVC pipe on your trailer? Michael
Sea Wolf

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mwilson wrote:
Joe just curious what's the purpose of the PVC pipe on your trailer? Michael

Michael-

The tubes you see plus some smaller ones, make a covered wagon like structure that you can stretch a tarp over and have a portable cover/rain shed that is self contained and is always with the boat.

There are 20 sets of matched holes going down the long tubes at about 14 inch intervals front to back. Ribs are inserted into the tubes you see.

Each rib is a 1/2" schedule 40 PVC pipe with about 9 inches of 1/2" Birch dowel inserted in both ends. The dowels insert into the vertical holes in the two horizontal tubes. Each rib and each matching hole is numbered to enable one to put the ribs in the correct order.

The ones up front are the shortest, with the ones to the rear getting progressively longer to cover the wider and taller sections of the boat. The last few at the rear taper down again to lower the roof over the cockpit gradually and close down over the motor. The cover is thus tapered to fit tightly just above the boat structure and hold the tarp described below above any sharp edges on the boat that would penetrate it from wind chafe.

When all the ribs are in place, a large blue plastic tarp is placed over the resulting covered wagon like structure and secured down with about 15-20 bungee straps.

When traveling, there's a large 6" diameter tube (shown below) that contains most of the 20 ribs that make up the bows. This tube lays along the outside edge of the trailer just inside of the wheel wells. Most of the ribs are stored inside this large tube for travel, but three bows are stored in each of the long horizontal ones you see that make up the side, as they all won't fit in the 6 inch tube.

I made the set up for use when leaving the boat in storage in an uncovered storage lot, and it works well. I'm not sure how much snow it will handle, as I've never encountered snow with it.

Since we moved to Redding from the Bay Area, I haven't really used it because the boat is either 1.) at one of my covered mooring spaces at the lake, 2.) on the road for a fishing trip, or 3.) at home in my RV barn.

I have the trailer home in the driveway right now to replace one of the rollers.
After I get home from a fishing trip tomorrow, I'll assemble the storage shelter taking photos of it in the process.

The structure can probably be made for $100-$150, but I'd have to set down and figure it out.

Hope you can visualize all of this from my description!

Here's a photo of the set up disassembled and stored on the trailer. The tarp and bungees are kept in the tow vehicle when underway and/or when the shelter is not being used.

Joe. Teeth
mwilson

City/Region: missoula
State or Province: MT
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: STORMY
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Joe looks like a great way to protect your boat when you don't have a shed or RV barn. Your description was clear Might be somthing Ill use till I get my boat shelter built. thanks michael.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: