View previous topic :: View next topic  
williamsburg

City/Region: Williamsburg
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: DORYME
Photos: DORYME
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject: Raymarine autopilot Reply with quote

We cross Chesapeake Bay commonly and the idea of an autopilot is really enticing. I have been looking at the Raymarine S1000 Wireless Autopilot System (E12169). What worries me is that there is no fluxgate compass. From the literature is appears to rely strictly on the GPS input for direction determination. Compared to a fluxgate, the GPS is relatively slow in computing direction changes. Has anyone had experience with the S1000. Did it perform satisfactorly in following seas where directions can change rapidly. Should this be on my list for Santa.
Alyssa Jean

City/Region: Guemes Is.(Anacortes)
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Alyssa Jean
Photos: Anna Leigh and Alyssa Jean
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am having one installed on Anna Leigh by Les at EQ Marine as we speak. I know he has put one on the 246 he is outfitting and was quite impressed with it when he took it out on the water.

I already have a fluxgate compass on the boat, so maybe I won't be able to give you the input you are looking for.

Alyssa Jean 16 Angler
Anna Leigh 22 Cruiser Sold 2005
Anna Leigh 25 Cruiser Sold 2014

K7KJR C-Brats #51
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be darned, so that's how they do it. No fluxgate and no motor position pot.

Journey On has a ST6000 S1 autopilot, with direct course readout which is what a fluxgate gives you, and direct control force feedback from the engine pot. As a one-time controls analyst, I learned that the more one differentiates a signal, the more noise there is which gives you slower response and less stability. I didn't get the ST6000 model with rate gyros, which gives even better course stability. Since my main complaint on the ST6000 is the yaw/wander when we're in rough water, I'm glad that I spent the money over the S1000. The rate gyros were an additional $600 and I passed. Sometimes I regret that, but we have what we have. For the S1000, differentiating the GPS position signal to get course and rate would seem to really lower performance in other than benign conditions. The price difference of the ST6000 over the S1000 is $250, and would seem well worth it. Note that the GPS course signal is a heavily filtered signal, and isn't fast enough when you're bouncing around in a sea.

The only problem I had in installing the autopilot was in bleeding the hydraulics. I had to find an outfit which had a power bleeder (the factory, in my case.) That would be the same for either the S1000 or ST6000.

The Southern Boris
C-Hawk

City/Region: Carpinteria / Channel Islands
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: C-Hawk
Photos: C-Hawk
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the S1000 and it works for me. I use it most of the time. Even when heading over to Catalina Island- a 57 kt-m one way trip. You need to make sure that you are on track when you activate-- or you will be searching! Embarassed
At times you will think you are off coarse due to the winds and currents, but it will take you home.

KJ6VVB
A Brat I am, At sea I be
God is Great, Beer is Good.... and People are Crazy
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My personal feeling is that with this pilot, the rate gyro would be money well spent if you are going to be in seas where you may have some heavy weather (especially following seas) with a C Dory. For calm water, the standard GPS would be fine.

For the most part these pilots have an excellent reputation and are certainly worth using for long runs.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have one---Love it. Ranks right up there with the trim tabs. Used it allot this year on our Alaska Inland Passage Cruise. Especially liked the steer anywhere on the boat capability by using the remote. Has a feature where you can adjust its reaction speed to wave conditions and boat speed. When properly adjusted it will steer the boat as smooth or smoother than you can by hand. Its also easy to set up for following waypoints or routes directly off the GPS and it has a fishing feature where it will steer the boat in small or large cloverleaf, circles or Sig sag patterns.

Have also had the sport pilot auto pilot with the compass. Was totally worthless.

Jay

sportner

City/Region: Buckeye
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Model: 26 Osprey
Vessel Name: Glory Days
Photos: Traveler
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have had the S1000 for about a year now and have been very happy with it, we installed it ourselves without difficulty. In heavy seas it does wonder a bit but thats a good sign that I should be steering manually. I would put the same system in again.
Sea Angel

City/Region: Virginia Beach, VA
Photos: Sea Angel
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the ST6001/S1G Raymarine Smart Pilot System. It has been in operation since Nov. 2005 without any problems aside from the usual recalibration of the Fluxgate.

There is a "RESPONSE" setting, from 1 to 9 [for the 'G' (gyro)series] , which sets how fast the system responds to course errors with 9 being the fastest, and the most electrical power demand as changes occur. For non-gyro series, the "RESPONSE" is from 1 to 3 with 3 being the tightest possible for course keeping.

As to location and noise: The pump is under the sink mounted on a piece of starboard. The noise is not objectionable and I find it good to hear it working, and knowing I am in the 'AUTO' or 'TRACK' Mode and not in 'STANDBY'. At high sppeds I try not to use it; but if I do, I use it cautiously.

I have used my autopilot on the Lower Ches. Bay in 6'+ seas without any problem. Though my speed ( in these conditions) will normally be abt 7 kts, it is much safer to have a hands on so you can use your 'seamans eye' to lead into an event and have a smoother and safer ride.

I do use my autopilot far more than I thought I would, and love the convience and rest it gives me.

CBRAT #208
2005 CD25 #075 SEA ANGEL (SOLD)
USCGAUX (RET), USN(RET)
Broadcast TV ENG(RET)
ka1rx@verizon.net

Last edited by Sea Angel on Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
flapbreaker

City/Region: Hillsboro
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Playin' Hooky
Photos: Playin' Hooky
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currious if pump noise is a problem for anyone and also are you mounting the pump behind the helm or under the sink?
Jazzmanic

City/Region: Seattle
Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed the S1000 on our boat last summer. It worked really well right off the bat. This without me executing the "autolearn" feature, an actual plug and play install. The instructions were excellent and the install was pretty simple and straightforward.

However...the autopilot started doing funny things periodically, i.e not clicking in immediately or veering off to the right. I read about some of these idiosynchrosies on another site (THT) the other night. They call them "Crazy Ivans" for whatever reason. It wasn't a huge problem for me, I just need to spend a little more time adjusting some things and using some of the tips garnered from others' experiences. Apparently, this is correctable.

To be honest, the one thing I didn't like is, since I use it mainly to troll while salmon fishing, there are times when the GPS shows the SOG to be slower than 1.5mph, at which time the S1000 won't work. A lot of this depends on the how fast the current is and whether or not you're going with it or against it.

Regarding the pump noise, I installed it behind and below the helm. With the S1000, everything is installed close together near the helm. It is noisy but many times, if you're going fast, you don't really hear it with the engine noise and such.

For the price, it's a good unit but not perfect. It all depends on how you want to use it. I haven't really spent alot of time following tracks or using it exclusively to go from one far destination to another. I have used it in 2-3 footers and it handled it quite well. Would I buy it again? Yes, definitely due to the price point and ease of installation and use. It would be great to have a TR-1 for some serious fishing but I don't feel the need to spend $3000+ on an autopilot. The S1000 works out just fine and will work even better when I spend some time with it to learn how to use it.

Those are my thoughts on the S1000. Good luck on your decision.

Peter

Email: pjamero@gmail.com
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter

Ours would vear off to the right at times when first engaged. Found if we made sure we were holding a straight course for 10 seconds or so before engaging the problem quit. I also make quick changes in the different response settings depending on water conditions and whether we are at displacement or cruise speed. Have found with experimentation that the unit is amazing in its ability to smoothly steer the boat. Much better than I was expecting especially after the sport pilot, compass controlled unit debacle.

Agree the installation was simple except our units control box + and - gps input connectors were reversed from what the color codes and directions described. That was a stumper for a while. Worse was the necessary switch over to hydraulic steering and with twins required removal of one of the motors to install.

Mounted the hydraulic motor behind the helm too. Noise is somewhat irritating at displacement speed and agree not noticeable at higher speeds at all and that's one of the main reason I change response settings, so when dropping to displacement speed for any length of time the hydraulic motor is less active. Does take some experimentation to get the best out of the unit. Yes the unit isn't fault free, but for the price don't think it can be beat at the present.

Jay
pcator

City/Region: Fletcher
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Donna Marie
Photos: Donna Marie
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This noise that has been referred to, is this inherit to the s1000 or all autopilots?

Thanks

Patrick
El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once more, I would suggest that those with or thinking of buying an autopilot should be cautious. Autopilots have an important use, but they must be used with great care -- since, like a loaded firearm, they can be dangerous. Anything that (even momentarily) distracts your attention from 'eyeballs' on the water ahead can be a hazard. Slow speed on autohelm while trolling makes sense. Putting her on autohelm while you 'cook your grits' is simply dangerous.
williamsburg

City/Region: Williamsburg
Vessel Name: DORYME
Photos: DORYME
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:39 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

My wife was looking over my shoulder as I was making notes from responses to my Autopilot question. She asked if I knew any of those folks whose letters I was reading. I said 'No' - that they were from all over the country. She then said how nice it was that all those people were willing to take their time to write detailed information to help me. I guess I am too jaded in my old age to think of that. But she is right. Thanks!
Sawdust

City/Region: Oak Harbor
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Photos: C-Salt
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Autopilot stuff. I've used the S1000 a bit in heavy weather and trolling speeds on the EQ demo Rosborough. A very good unit, I think, and a lot of bang for the buck. The helm noise is annoying, but not too bad. Les plans to move the noisy part somewhere aft...

Bill makes a very important point. An autopilot is a great tool and one I use all of the time. It does NOT have eyeballs, and you must use it as an aid -- don't walk away, or let it distract you from keeping a good lookout, any more than you would put your car on cruise control and go back and take a nap.

I consider it a significant safety factor in low visibility conditions because it can hold a good heading, and the skipper can concentrate on necessary safety measures. It's almost like having a good helmsman aboard if used properly.

Dusty
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: