The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Anchoring My Head
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Wastewater Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ryder

City/Region: duncan
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have also waxed bolts, and embeded them in the epoxy while it was going off. Those threads seemed to hold up well

Thataway...great idea..i am going to try that sometime...

thanx

Jim

John S

City/Region: Sterling
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 24 Tomcat
Vessel Name: TomCat
Photos: TomCat
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, I would assume my last post didn't make sense to you after all the bolt embedding advice you had given.

But.......if you look at the time posted you'll see we posted about 5 minutes apart from each other and I hadn't seen your post before I published mine.

Kind of interesting.

THANK YOU to Jim and Bob for resurrecting this thread. I now feel like I can tackle this project. (Although I'm still not sure I understand why I need the filler instead of just using the epoxy, I will look for some filler though)

Thanks again,
John

www.AlaskaAdventureJournal.com
Adeline

City/Region: Vancouver
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: Adeline
Photos: Adeline
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Threaded-inserts are one way of securing your head. Drill out the holes oversize. Bed the inserts into thickened epoxy(ala Dr. Bob). Secure with stainless machine screws.

ryder

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
(Although I'm still not sure I understand why I need the filler instead of just using the epoxy, I will look for some filler though)

John..if you worked with epoxy you would understand. Let me explain. Epoxy is very thin. Its almost like a liquid that would just pour out. When you mix it with filler it thickens and becomes easy to shape. Imagine a hole in your door. Now try and fill it with water. Of course the water drains out. Now try and fill the hole with peanut butter. The peanut butter will allow you to patch the hole without draining out. That is the main reason for fillers. A secondary reason is fillers also strengthen the epoxy. Dense fillers are hard to sand but stronger. However remember epoxy by itself is more than strong enough for what you want. But if you don't put filler in it you wont be able to control the flow of it. Thats why we told you to put filler in.

I hope i am clear enough in my explanation. I apologize if it sounds confusing.

regards
Jim
drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,

The nature of the filler gives the final epoxy repair different characteristics. If you tried putting a lag screw into pure epoxy with no filler, it would probably split, shatter, or break off your screw. Unlike wood, pure epoxy does not have the plasticity to allow compression like wood fibers do. I guess a poor example would be that you'd have a hard time putting a lag screw into a hole in a metal block - the metal won't compress to allow the threads to grab 'hold.

The fillers allow sandability, workability and enough compression for screw insertion if the fillers are compressible themselves. My guess is that what you have can take screws. If nothing else, epoxy glue a block of strong wood in place!

John
matt_unique

City/Region: Boston
State or Province: MA
Vessel Name: Napoleon
Photos: Napoleon
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:35 am    Post subject: Wood filler Reply with quote

Speaking of wood fillers, for the purposes of overdrilling holes then inserting scews, etc. is wood flour as good as say cabosil?

When I built my dinghies I used wood flour to make filet's prior to fiberglassing a corner. Of course when making a natural wood finished dinghy the wood flour was perfect for blending.

Thanks

Former owner of Napoleon (Tomcat) Hull #65 w/Counter Rotating Suzuki 150's.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Wood filler Reply with quote

matt_unique wrote:
Speaking of wood fillers, for the purposes of overdrilling holes then inserting scews, etc. is wood flour as good as say cabosil?

When I built my dinghies I used wood flour to make filet's prior to fiberglassing a corner. Of course when making a natural wood finished dinghy the wood flour was perfect for blending.

Thanks

Matt-

My guess is that the wood fibers cut directly into by the stainless steel screws where water could enter them would rot and the matrix would be weaker right there at the boundary, but whether this would substantially weaken the screw's overall grip would be questionable. How far would the water get into the matrix? How small are the wood cells/particles?

Probably would be necessary to take a lab test carried out over a period of time for the fungus to do it's work to see if there's any difference.

It would be interesting to compare the strength of the screw holding with different fillers and the wood before and after exposure to water over time.

Guessing as always!

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
matt_unique

City/Region: Boston
State or Province: MA
Vessel Name: Napoleon
Photos: Napoleon
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:54 am    Post subject: Filler Reply with quote

Good point about the wood and water. Wood flour is very fine like a powder. I know the filet's held up like steel but I wonder about the impact of screwing into it as you point out.

I happen to have wood flour in the shed but it makes sense to get fine cabosil just to be sure of the strength and water reactions.
ryder

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrJohn

Thankyou. Your explantion was much clearer and more accurate. You are correct , the filler gives it different characteristics.

Jim D
John S

City/Region: Sterling
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 24 Tomcat
Vessel Name: TomCat
Photos: TomCat
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:41 am    Post subject: One more question Reply with quote

I know, I know I've spent more time discussing this project than it should have taken me to complete it. But one more question.

I found a good source for those threaded inserts www.mcfeelys.com I was going to try some of these inserts without epoxy first. I have multiple thread type choices and was hoping someone could tell what type of wood C-Dory probably used for core material below my marine head. That way I can make the best thread choice.

Thanks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Wastewater Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: