The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Anchoring My Head
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Wastewater Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John S

City/Region: Sterling
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 24 Tomcat
Vessel Name: TomCat
Photos: TomCat
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:48 pm    Post subject: Anchoring My Head Reply with quote

We noticed the head was kind of loose this summer. You kind of rocked around a bit while seated.

Recently I went to tighten the bolts holding it down and found the holes were stripped. They were stainless lag bolts that appeared to go into a wood core.

So.......what are my choices for a fix? There doesn't seem to be a moisture problem in this area.

Thanks,

www.AlaskaAdventureJournal.com
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is a good wooden base, then you have two choices: one is to drill out the holes just slightly bigger than the threads of the lag bolts and fill them with epoxy and medium density filler.

The other is to use larger lag bolts. (if the base of the head can tolerate the larger size thread bolt).

Consider 4200 sealant.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
John S

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
If it is a good wooden base, then you have two choices: one is to drill out the holes just slightly bigger than the threads of the lag bolts and fill them with epoxy and medium density filler.

The other is to use larger lag bolts. (if the base of the head can tolerate the larger size thread bolt).

Consider 4200 sealant.

Bob, can you help on the "medum density filler" I'm not sure exactly what that is. I searched it in Google and I pretty much got referred back to posts with your reference to it. Smile

Any particular reason to use 4200 rather than 5200 is that is what I have on hand?

Thanks for your advice
Big dave

City/Region: Vancouver
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Raven Dancer
Photos: Raven Dancer
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may want to drill out the old hole then insert a brass or stainless flush shell, then bolt into the flush shell.
Big Dave.
Raven Dancer.
matt_unique

City/Region: Boston
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Napoleon
Photos: Napoleon
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:13 pm    Post subject: Filler Reply with quote

Filler would be something like silica fibers or wood flour for example. It's something that makes the fiberglass resin more rigid. You usually use these fillers to create a paste consistency before application.

In my experience, the general rule of thumb is 5200 below the water line, 4200 above the water line. 5200 is extremely difficult to remove should you ever need to service that area again.

Bob would know more for sure.

Former owner of Napoleon (Tomcat) Hull #65 w/Counter Rotating Suzuki 150's.
Jeff Brigner

State or Province: TN
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: C-Pearl
Photos: C-Pearl
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4200 says it's good for above or below the water line.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 5200 is more difficult to remove, and that is the reason I would go with 4200. (Both are fine under water). I made an assumption that the head base was ceramic--but it it was plastic, I might consider Boatlife Lifecaulk, because of the interaction with 5200 and plastics.

I use a combination of Fumed Silica (cabosil) or West Systes 406, which is an excellent thickening and strength forming agent, along with either microlite (410) or low density--microballoons--(407) filler. If you want more stenth use 403 --microfibers--filler. With the various fillers, you can mix the density and strength you want:
http://www.westsystem.com/ click on "fillers" Also when there click on "addatives"--(there are aluminum, barrier coat and graphite additatives which can be useful in some circumstances).

There are course threaded inserts which can be screwed into wood or glass and these work very well, with bolts. For the most part, I like to re-inforce glass if I use these, and the bolts are a bit smaller than I might like to use for bolting down a head base. Making up the filler is the easiest for me--but I have a shelf of fillers and various epoxies and hardners on the shelf--and it is right there.
Papillon

City/Region: DeBary, Fl. *On the St. John's River*
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Papillon
Photos: Papillon
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With 4200 you can remove the head for service without as much trouble in the future.....with 5200 you can "CUT" the floor out to remove the head for future service....Both can be used below or above the waterline.

1993 Angler-02' 115 Suzuki 4 Stroke
John S

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not real familiar with expoxy and fillers, so.......if I drill out the holes and use epoxy and filler should I assume I will then drill a hole into the filler and just tighen my old stainless lag screws into the hole making threads as I go?

I have no epoxy or filler on the shelf at all. I'm starting out fresh and just want to buy what I need to complete a lasting job at a minimum expense.

Bob, can you give me the short list of what you think I need for this job without any (or not many) choices. I read your post above, I need the short list.

The head is plastic, under the fiberglass is definitely a wood core. I will cetainly look at putting in oversize lag bolts but I don't think this will be posssilbe.

Correction I just remembered I do have some of this stuff below, but I don't think I'd get a lag screw thru it once it had cured.
Thanks for being patient with me and holding my hand thru this seemingly easy project.
ryder

City/Region: duncan
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2008
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,

What you will need...,acetone,epoxy, hardener and filler. (marine tex will work fine)

step 1. clean old holes and area with acetone.

step 2. mix epoxy...John epoxy is very easy to use if you follow a few simple rules. You must mix well. Stir for approx 1 minute.Then add filler until you get approx peanut butter consistency. Epoxy is very hard to mix if it's cold. I keep my epoxy in a broken fridge with just a light bulb on to keep the epoxy warm. I also use tongue depressors for mixing and applying. I buy little plastic bowls to mix in.

Don't let fillers confuse you. Fillers can be just about anything.The denser the filler the stronger and harder to sand. Ask the marine store for an appropriate filler. If you use the marine tex than no filler required.

Fill the holes as tidy as you can to prevent having to sand too much. You can also tape saran wrap over the repair to prevent the epoxy or marine tex from running until it hardens.

You should wear gloves when using epoxy. I have a box of thin plastic disposable surgical type gloves.

good luck

Jim

John S

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryder,

Once the hole is filled with a hardened epoxy how do I go about reattaching my marine head to it???

Thanks for reviving this thread, I had put this project on a back burner when the responses dried up.

Thanks,
John
ryder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Once the hole is filled with a hardened epoxy how do I go about reattaching my marine head to it???

John..What you have when the epoxy has hardened is basically a blank slate. You can drill new holes the same size as the old ones. Then just caulk with 4200 or equivalent and tighten your bolts and voila, you are done.

regards
Jim
thataway

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I missed your question earlier.

The Marine Tex is fine. you want to drill out the new epoxy plugs with a bit which is the same size as the shank (the solid metal between the threads). This may be slightly tapered--and you can actually drill a slightly larger hole for the outer portion.

Epoxy in general. Ryder has written excellent advice. If you want epoxy for general repairs, a quart is fine, and the small container of hardner. You need the pump set for West System. I use it because I have gotten used to it. There are several 1: 1 by volume ratio systems, which may be easier to use. For a thickner, Cabosil (fumed silica) is the best. I use medium density filler with it. But if you are going to be putting lag bolts into it, you can use microlight.

I have also waxed bolts, and embeded them in the epoxy while it was going off. Those threads seemed to hold up well. The wax keeps the metal from adhering to the epoxy. Also you can wrap a single layer of either teflon tape around threads or a layer of plastic wrap (Saran) around lag bolt threads.

I use popsicle sticks--1000 in a box at Hobby lobby--but used to use tongue blades when I was in practice. You can split either to make a tooth pick size wooden spatchula. I also like to have a couple of plastic spreaders. There are also "release films"--but the saran wrap works fine.

I prefer to use a pumice containing citrus hand cleaner for cleaning hands and tools. A gallon with a pump lasts a long time. I also like to use the blue Nitrile gloves. They are easier on your skin than the latex, and are much stronger. Buy a box at a time. Also good to keep on the boat, for any dirty work, and pumping a head etc.
John S

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I'm just kind of dumb but.............

The toilet is held down with self tapping lag bolts. Doesn't the epoxy get too hard to tap a lag bolt into it???

Or does the filler soften up the epoxy mix and make it give to a self tapping bolt?

Sorry I'm not getting it yet, but I want too Smile

John
ryder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The toilet is held down with self tapping lag bolts. Doesn't the epoxy get too hard to tap a lag bolt into it???

Or does the filler soften up the epoxy mix and make it give to a self tapping bolt?

John..You can drill into epoxy just like you would fiber glass. However I would use a drill bit slightly smaller than the lag screw to drill a pilot hole. The best way to drill into fiberglass or epoxy is to put a piece of masking tape down 1st. That will prevent any cracking and give you a nice clean hole. I hope this makes sense to you.

regards

Jim
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Wastewater Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: