The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Protective canvas cover/general storage

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
C-Trial

City/Region: St Helens
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Trial
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 10:05 pm    Post subject: Protective canvas cover/general storage Reply with quote

Greetings, all,

This is my first posting on the C-Brat site. Completed the purchase of a 22 Cruiser about 10 days ago and have been trying to come up to speed. perhaps someone can point me to old threads that have answered this subject (the C-Brat archive is really big).

I store my dory in a large barn/shop the tends toward being dusty thanks to my wife's hayburners. I'd like to have some simple storage canvas that pretty well envelops the whole boat from stem to stern. I don't picture trailering with this canvas. What have other's done to solve this need moderately cost expeditiously? I don't mind spending some money to protect my investment--an a simple tarp will just blow off or flap like a banshee when the big doors are open, potentially startling the horses and making them more dangerous to be around. My dory has a radome on the cabin top--not a stock profile. Custom canvas makers in the Portland area have quoted about $1800 on average to do the job--which will result in a beautiful product but my cover will be hopelessly covered in dust in a few months and otherwise look ratty.

Any assistance/suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,

John on C-Trial
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C-Trial

When I first bought my boat I had a need to leave it outside in a storage yard, as it was too big for the storage areas at our home. Now I have a 25 x 40 foot RV barn with double metal raising doors that are perfect for boat and or RV storage.

What I did was to make a "Covered Wagon" like rib structure that held a cheap blue plastic tarp up over and around the boat and trailer so as to completely cover the boat and trailer from end to end and from the trailer frame one one side to the trailer frame on the other side. The ribs are smooth and keep the tarp from tearing on the sharper corners of the boat, and the rounded shape prevents water from pooling, which is the nemesis of all boat covering systems.

First I ran a 2 1/2 or three inch Schedule 40 (stiff) white PVC tube down each side of the trailer and attached it with U-bolts to the guide-ons and trailer tongue area. The pipe is higher along the guide-ons and slightly lower along the front end and tongue.

Then I drilled 1/2" holes down into the big tube at intervals of about 13-14 inches. This makes for about 20 or so holes.

For the ribs, I choose 20 foot long 1/2" Schedule 40 tube, and stuck 1/2" wooden Birch dowels in both ends with about 5-6 inches inside the end of the tube and about 5 inches sticking out.

The ribs bow up and over the boat, then stick into the holes already drilled in the larger tubes on either side. The ones at the very front have to be shortened a bit, as the boat/trailer is narrower there. Pull the dowel out of one end and cut off enough tube to make the rib structure even height from front to rear. Now use a black felt pen to mark the ribs with numbers so that when disassembled, you'll know where each one goes. I numbered them 1-20 starting from the front and also numbered the holes.

I also added a big 8" tube under the boat on one side so that I could store the small tubes in it when towing the boat. Put a screw on cap on each end to facilitate storage and retrieval.

Get a appropriately sized blue tarp and lots of fairly long bungee cords. Cover the whole shebang over and strap it down moderately tight with the bungees.

Now you have a cheap ($100-$150) boat cover system that works both indoors and out, rain or shine. Undoing a few bungees along one side can get you into the boat when necessary.

I'll post a picture of this set up later this month when I can get access to the trailer (it's at a friends house, the boat's in the marina, and we have a new pontoon boat and motor home in the RV barn.)

Joe

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
eieioh

City/Region: Gig Harbor
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Brave Heart
Photos: Brave Heart
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see that COSTCO has a pretty nice looking "carport" with tubular frame and canvas top and sides for about $169.00.
Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Taco
Photos: <a>Da Boats</a>
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your custom cover quote sounds a little high - I had a pretty fancy one done for my 19 (custom cuts/padding for RADAR, windlass/anchor, rails/rod holders, etc.) and it was just a little over $1000.

I'm planning on going this route again with my 22 - since most of the cost is labor, I don't think the added material will raise the price that much over the 19.

Here's a link to a post I made about my last 2-piece cover - I just updated and added links to pictures of it.

Chivita

City/Region: Hansville
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Chivita
Photos: Chivita
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C-Trial
Not sure if this helps, but here is a photo of a 22' cruiser under the Costco cover that Bill & Evelyn were suggesting.

In this photo, I have peeled back the front cover so that you can see the boat. I believe there are two photos in Chivita's album, but I can take another shot or two and send them your way if you are interested. You would need to raise the frame up to clear your radar dome. The costco cover comes with a front and rear cover, but the engine(s) will stick out the back and the trailer tounge will stick out the front as the cover is only 20' long. We have these covers over two of our boats and they work quite well for the money. Outside in Western Washington weather the canvas seems to last at least five years.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C-Trial --

I also enjoyed a Costco covered garage when I kept my boat over at Lake Amador (Ca) with one of my motorhomes as a fishing retreat. I worked quite well, within the length limitation, but the instructions with it said to disassemble it if the winds were expected to be beyond a certain limit, about 25 or 30 mph, as I remember.

Since I lived 105 miles away and couldn't just run right over and put in 3 hours to take it apart at very little blow, I anchored it down to the nearby trees, the motorhome, plumbing, fencing and anything that had some semblance of being stationary about it. It survived several 50 mph blows, but a 60 mph storm one night made it look like a refugee form the "Twister" movie. Even all of the 2" steel tubes were bent around in shapes that only Mother Nature could imagine. I could only salvage the ropes and bungee cords, the rest went into the trash.

So in your barn, it'll be great, but for anyone considering using one outside, beware the limitation and hide it behind another building or buildings, if possible! Enjoy your hunt!!! Joe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: