View previous topic :: View next topic  
surfbird

City/Region: Los Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Turnstone
Photos: Turnstone
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:42 pm    Post subject: Advice on anchor line diameter Reply with quote

I need to purchase anchor and line.
I need 300' plus 30-50' 1/4" chain.

Since I don't have a windlass, I would like at least 5/8" line.
What is the largest diameter 300' line that will fit into the factory anchor box?

Thanks,

Jim
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim

Why 5/8ths? 3/8 three strand is plenty for a 22. Also we started out with 100 feet of chain went down to 30 feet and thinking of dropping more. With our 22 pound anchor that chain without windlass and a lot of anchoring was awful hard on the back. Maybe you will but kind of doubt you will be anchoring in any more precarious places than we have. Would suggest if you if you want to fill up your anchor locker do it with more length we have 500 feet and another 300 feet ready to go we keep in the cockpit. You never know when that extra length might come in handy if you loose propulsion and are being blown to shore.

Jay

Hunkydory

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim

Got to thinking you might want the 5/8ths to make it easier on the hands when pulling, if so, thats a good point. I have strong hands and a weak back so prefer it thinner and longer. Sorry can't answer how much 5/8ths will fit. Know when you first put it in only about half as much will fit as later when it gets wet and used a few times.

Jay
matt_unique

City/Region: Boston
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Napoleon
Photos: Napoleon
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:45 pm    Post subject: Anchor Reply with quote

An anchor roller will help but that will be one hell of an effort to yank in all that chain and line with anchor. I will be using 1/2" line on my Tomcat (with windlass). 5/8 will be more than you need, but certainly the easiest to grasp by hand (relative to 3/8" or 1/2").
Former owner of Napoleon (Tomcat) Hull #65 w/Counter Rotating Suzuki 150's.
surfbird

City/Region: Los Anchorage
Vessel Name: Turnstone
Photos: Turnstone
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's right Jay. I was thinking 5/8 as it will be easier to pull than smaller diameter.
You say 500' of 3/8" fits in your locker?

BTW, I just checked out a few of your photos from AK - looked like you had a great trip. I just towed my c-dory from Haines to Anchorage and man do I wish I had that canvas bow protector on the Turnstone -- there are a hundred little nicks and dings on our brand new boat!

How did the canvas work?

Jim
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim-

Here's what 300 feet of 1/2" line plus 15 feet of 1/4" chain looked like in Tyboo Mike's CD-22 Cruiser:

You could go up to 9/16" or possibly 5/8" by raising the rear wall of the locker.

If you expand the locker, I'd suggest you use a stainless piano type hinge to connect the additional upper panel to extend the rear wall upward.

Each 1/8 inch in rope diameter makes a signifigant increase of the rope characteristics, including the handelability, the weight, and the space taken up in the locker.

I'd suggest you try the 1/2" and 9/16" out against the 5/8' in the store to see how they fit your hands. I have 1/2" on my CD-22 and 5/8" on my Sea Ray, and either fits my hands fine for manual work, although I have windlasses on both boats.

300 feet of rode is a lot to stuff down a deck pipe. A lot of Alaskans just use a plastic box or tub fastened up on the foredeck as a anchor rode storage locker. Much easier to load the rode into as it comes in.

Good Luck with your project!

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous

Last edited by Sea Wolf on Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:49 am; edited 1 time in total
tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:26 am    Post subject: Re: Advice on anchor line diameter Reply with quote

surfbird wrote:
I need to purchase anchor and line.
I need 300' plus 30-50' 1/4" chain.

Since I don't have a windlass, I would like at least 5/8" line.
What is the largest diameter 300' line that will fit into the factory anchor box?

Thanks,

Jim

I use 300' of 1/2" Double braid & 30' of 1/4" chain. The double braid lays anywhere, stays limp and Does not get all wound up like the 3 strand Mr. Green Beer
Pull it with a Bouy & slider or ring Wink Wink pulling that by hand is B/S Beer

Last edited by tsturm on Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Hunkydory

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim

Yes it fits, but it was way overstuffed at the start. Originally purchased 600' and it was pretty much full at 350' went ahead and stuffed the 500' in and after using several times it fits in there ok.

Did the canvas protector thing after our first trip north when I suffered the same type dings as you. It protects well for the dings but the cure was worse than the disease. Was installed by a dealer in Billings, Mt and He used snap rivets through the fiberglass. Never has leaked but sure wouldn't do the same now. There has to be some type of rv car towing protector that would work that would attach to hitch or trailer reach. There was a dealer that sold just what I'am trying to describe for boats, but they went out of business.

Guess I've been lucky on the 3 strand because never have had a tangle or mess.

Jay
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim-

tsturm's suggestion of a double braid line is a good one!

I don't think double braid will be as sensitive to twisting and looping as 3-strand.

However, it will not feel as comfortable and have as good a grip with your hands as the twisted 3-strand, which gives a nice, comfortable, non-slip feel.

Every decision is a bunch of trade offs!

Think it through rationally, then use your intuition!

Joe.

Last edited by Sea Wolf on Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jack in Alaska

City/Region: Anchorage/Ninilchik
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 26 Pro Angler
Vessel Name: HIGH TIDE II
Photos: HIGH TIDE II
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a 600' 3/8" 3 strand nylon line, 20' of 3/8" chain and a 22 # Bruce anchor. I pull it with a buoy and slip ring and store all of it in a RubberMaid 16" high tub on the back deck. The tub lid has a plywood insert and is used as a bait cutting board. It all works well.

The anchor locker on a 22' is a joke IMHO.

HIGH TIDE-II; 2005 26' ProAngler; 2003 200 Honda / 2009 9.9 Honda high thrust
No. CD026021I405; AK-5008-AK
MSSI No. 338143486(cancelled)

HIGH TIDE; 1983 Angler Classic 22'; 90 Honda/ 9.9 Tohatsu-sold 2009 to son Dan (flatfishfool)
Stolen & stripped in Aug. 18
Bare hull & trailer sold in Nov.
drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The three strand nylon is the best to ensure some stretching to protect the hardware from jerks, etc.. Double braid does not stretch much, that's why it's best for sail running gear, but it will be much harder on your gear and the ride at anchor than three strand.

1/2 inch three strand nylon is pretty easy on the hands and does not knot up much if you let it free fall to place instead of trying to wind it some way other than what it likes to lay passively. Also, drop the anchor slowly, or drop a bit and wait, off and on in order to let any rotation work it's way out of the line. When you drop an anchor rapidly, it tends to "fly" and twist, rotate, etc.. just letting it hang a few seconds now and then lets the rotations work out, both on weighing and laying anchor.

John
CW

City/Region: Kalama
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Satisfaction
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the Columbia River we deal with strong currents 4 - 8 knts. and frequent anchor pulling and repositioning to fish different areas. When the water is 60 feet deep and the tide is running too, it is easy to use every bit of 250-300 ft. of anchor line attached to a sand//rake type anchor (typical Danforths will not hold) this on boats in the 3,400 lb. range. The rope is typically tied to the bottom of the anchor and zip tied along the shaft.... this allows you to pull hard with buoy/engines and break them to free stuck anchor. If a ship, barge or log is coming at you, you don't have the time to scratch your head and figure things out over time. If you want to fish the deeper sturgeon holes (80-100 ft.), more length is needed. Everyone here uses the sliding buoy system as an anchor puller (about $70) using the engines to lift the anchor, but believe me, you still use your hands and back pulling in that buoy and anchor and all of that rode by your third or fourth pull in a day. 275 ft. of 5/8" braided line will fit in a plastic milk crate. With all of the algae, mud and debris, (and salt//corrosion), that typically affixes to a line, I wouldn't want it stored right next to my bed, but rather on deck where it can dry out. In a really strong current (like right below Bonneville Dam in the Columbia River Gorge) we found that the increased drag of a 5/8" line lessened anchor holding ability considerably compared to a 3/8" line. 5-10 ft. is typical chain length if used, but since rivers are generally a consistent, straight downstream pull, the rake type anchor holds well without them since your boat is not spinning around the hook. One of my main reservations about getting a C-Dory is the ability to work rapidly with anchoring and pulling it, all from the hatch, as I potentially drift downstream to a hogline of boats directly downstream. Good luck. C.W.
drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Satisfaction,

I would think an anchor windlass would be a great help to you in that situation. Or, you could put a draw back line, maybe even with pulley or ring, to draw the anchor line alongside the cockpit for handling. 'Sounds like anything regarding an anchor would be tough in your fishing situations!

Thanks for posting those great fishing pics,

John
sportner

City/Region: Buckeye
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Model: 26 Osprey
Vessel Name: Glory Days
Photos: Traveler
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might consider 8 plait anchor line, it is more expensive but takes up less space as it lays loose and doesn't kink or tangle. It works great with a windlass but should be easier on your hands if you go manual. I got mine on line at Defender Marine, sometimes they have specials.
marvin4239

City/Region: Jacksonville Florida/Wilmington NC
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: C-FLE II
Photos: C-FLE II
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best addition I did was and anchor windless. Well worth every penny! If you are anchoring in deep water I'd consider a free fall model.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Anchoring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: