View previous topic :: View next topic  
flabeachcomber

City/Region: St. Helena Island
State or Province: SC
C-Dory Year: 2001
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Kestrel
Photos: Kestrel
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 8:45 am    Post subject: Center Window problem Reply with quote

Having problem keeping center window open. Has mechanism on one side, which even when tightened as tight as possible, will eventually slip in rough seas and window will gradually start closing.

I have seen discussion and adding a second mechanism, but can not find it now. Would appreciate input on how to fix.

Thanks!
Pete
Almas Only

City/Region: Richmond
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Alma's Only
Photos: Alma's Only
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not a real "fix", but if you want to keep that darn window open, just open it part way, loosely tighten the butterfly, open the v-berth hatch, stand up, and secure the window all the way open with an adjustable bungee cord looped around the anchor light base. You might want to put some padding in at the two spots where the window's metal frame contacts the bottom of the fiberglass roof. Obviously, not a good fix if you need to be adjusting to intermediate positions, but it really keeps the window out of your way on a hot day.
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right here on the C-Dog site is a short discussion of this problem and a couple of possible fixes.

Another option is to contact Diamond SeaGlaze (www.diamondseaglaze.com/) and inquire about getting a window support mechanism similar to the one that is on my boat. It has slotted slides with lock screws, but there are also two notches cut into the slides that engage the fixed stud to positively hold the window in either of the two positions. Works great.

Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another quick fix from another C-Dog discussion:

I had a great weekend solving the annoying center window drop down syndrome. As anyone with an opening center window knows when things get a little rough the strut doesn't hold too well in the full open position. I happened to go into one of those hardware stores that  has everything and found miniture clevis pins. I got one about an inch long that goes through a hole I drilled through the pipe part of the hatch strut ( measure your own but mine was 1 3/4 inch back from the threaded end) and prevents the solid rod from telescoping back from the full open position. 25 cents and 25 minutes. Works great and the pin clips to the strut bracket when not being used. Later,Gary on Minnie Swann.

(Joe)

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Chuck S

City/Region: Cleveland
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Amelia Anne
Photos: Amelia Anne
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On our San Juan 28 sailboat (yep, another Seattle boat on Lake Erie) we used a spring support for years. Basically a coil spring which folds to close and when open is straight and will hold the window open by locking straight with the closing force pushing straight down the coils which touch.

I'm doing a bad job of describing it, but it's a common marine part. No adjustment, just supports the hatch in the fully open position. Can be closed instantly by pushing the spring out of the straight position.

You could still use the friction rod for partial open. The spring has no real force when it's bent out of the straight line.

-- Chuck
alg

City/Region: Drummond WI & Citrus Hills, FL
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Vessel Name: SHALJE
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 1:41 pm    Post subject: Window support Reply with quote

Loosen the nut and give a little squeeze. That should help it grab the threads and keep the window up. I used Vice Grips and had to give it a couple of tries before it was right.
flabeachcomber

City/Region: St. Helena Island
State or Province: SC
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Kestrel
Photos: Kestrel
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GOOD NEWS!!

I think I have come up with an easy and very inexpensive solution to the center window problem. Cut a piece of tubing (the stiffer, the better) to proper length, slit one side of the tubing length-wise so tubing can easily slipped over rod on window latch. Tubing will keep window from closing.

I also tried using a piece of plastic wiring molding (home depot) that you use to put speaker wires in so you can run around room and hide wire. This molding is already split on one side (so you can slide wires in). It works equally well.

Cut several different lengths; one for window full open, one for half-open, etc, etc.

I have photo of solution in my photo album (KESTREL).

Good Luck
Pete
Jeff M

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For 2005 we are using a different supporting arm with a tension knob. It is available as an aftermarket replacement for the existing opening windows. If anyone would like the replacement arm just call the office at 253 839 0222 and we will mail it to you. It isn't too expensive.
Moxieabs

City/Region: Cape Neddick
State or Province: ME
Vessel Name: Widget
Photos: Widget
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 10:46 pm    Post subject: Center Window Fix Reply with quote

I have posted photos in Widget's album of an easy fix to keep the front window open (drill press necessary). Also, some mini hand grabs in the cabin.
Levity

City/Region: Shippensburg
State or Province: PA
Vessel Name: Levity
Photos: Levity
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another fix to the closing window problem; remove the window telescoping assembly from the bracket and from the center opening window. unthread the winged closure nut, remove the telescoping rod, remove the brass bushing from inside the winged nut. Thread a 1/4"ID galvanized union onto the threads where the winged closure nut was. Place the brass bushing that comes out of the original winged nut inside the union to ensure a close fit around the stainless telescoping rod, insert the telescoping stainless rod, drill a hole through the union and far enough into the stainless telescoping rod to create an indent at a location that will keep the window at its desired attitude. Thread the hole (not necessary to thread into the stainless), screw in a galvanized thumbscrew and replace the assembly back onto the bracket and window. The thumbscrew will engage the indent and keep the window securely open. This could be improved through the use of stainless rather than galvanized parts. I would place the photos here if I could figure out how! The pics are avilable in Levity photo album.
Levity's Michael
Alyssa Jean

City/Region: Guemes Is.(Anacortes)
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Alyssa Jean
Photos: Anna Leigh and Alyssa Jean
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
For 2005 we are using a different supporting arm with a tension knob. It is available as an aftermarket replacement for the existing opening windows. If anyone would like the replacement arm just call the office at 253 839 0222 and we will mail it to you. It isn't too expensive.

Jeff, I had one sent from the factory but the replacement is about an inch too long to just swap out. Any thoughts?

Alyssa Jean 16 Angler
Anna Leigh 22 Cruiser Sold 2005
Anna Leigh 25 Cruiser Sold 2014

K7KJR C-Brats #51
Steven Dore

City/Region: Ocean Marine - Portsmouth, VA
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Orca
Photos: Orca
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I called the factory to obtain the new window mechanism and was told that it was not available. I was told that they would ship an original, but it never arrived.

I also had a problem with the side opening window when the latch came loose from the glass.

Hey C-Dory, what is the situation on the window mechanisms?

The windows are the only problem on the boat.
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My port side window latch also fell off, just came off the glass - lucky it didn't go in the drink. What is up with this, Jeff Messmer? This is about the fourth one that has been posted here...

Steven Dore wrote:
I called the factory to obtain the new window mechanism and was told that it was not available. I was told that they would ship an original, but it never arrived.

I also had a problem with the side opening window when the latch came loose from the glass.

Hey C-Dory, what is the situation on the window mechanisms?

The windows are the only problem on the boat.

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Swee Pea

City/Region: Bath
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Swee Pea
Photos: Swee Pea
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:09 am    Post subject: Center Window Fix Reply with quote

I have been reading this thread and have been slow to make a correction on my 22' cruiser center window because the center window has held - until now. I called Diamond Sea Glaze (1-800-770-0455) and told them of the problem. They said they have a fix - and they sent me two replacement parts for FREE because my boat was a 2004.

Michael from Levity, you wouldn't believe it. They copied your design! (or did you copy theirs?) It is in essence a 2 1/2 inch tube with a "floating center". The tube is threaded on one end to replace the butterfly attachment. On this is a threaded knob which when tightened, pushes the floating center against the rod and holds the window rod in place.

To install, first disconnect the rod from the bracket located on the window frame in the boat. Two screws and nuts. Remove the old butterfly and brass bushing. (Bury them deep in your backyard for future generations to find and try to figure out what they are and for what great purpose they served - NONE) Thread the new replacement on all the way down where the butterfly once attached. There is a little set screw to hold this in place. Tighten it. Slide the stainless rod into the other end of the tube. Re-attach the bracket to the window frame. Done. Open the window to the desired position, tighten the knob, and window stays.
Cost = 0. Time = 10 minutes. It took longer to write this then it did to install it.

I don't know if Diamond Sea Glaze will send you one for free, but I do know that it can't cost much. And yes, I do have one more sitting on the kitchen counter. But you never know ......

Best Regards to all. If this post is old news, then sorry.

John
Swee Pea
Levity

City/Region: Shippensburg
State or Province: PA
Vessel Name: Levity
Photos: Levity
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,
Thanks for the update on the center window issue. The solution I employed on Levity and posted here was original as I had not seen or heard of anyone else using such a fix, yet, a bolt and detent system to hold a sliding rod in place is hardly original, so let's credit great minds thinking alike! I will consider Diamond Sea Glaze's adoption of a bolt and detent solution for the center window problem to be validation of my humble engineering skills. Your See Pea's center window should trouble you no more!
Thanks again.
Mike 'Levity'
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cabin, Interior All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: