City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a passing thought for consideration:

If lifting power is a major consideration in the design of a man overboard davit or one designed for a dinghy, could one add a small windlass, perhaps like the ones used for pontoon boats, to get the lifting power easily? They can lift 40 lbs, and with 6:1 purchase could lift 240 (minus friction in the purchase). 8:1 would yield ~320 lbs of lifting power.

The windlass could be added under the gunnel on the inside of the boat with the line lead up along side of the davit. Conceviably, the 6:1 or larger purchase could even be placed inside the base tube to conceal it (I've done this type of Magic Box subsitute arrangement inside masts and booms for sailboats).

You'd need a quick line disconnect to accomodate removal of the davit and reattachment. This wouldn't be a problem with a davit left folded away against the cabin top, perhaps already attached to the dinghy, but ready for MOB deployment.

This is the type of "windlass" I was thinking about. (A "real" windlass wouldn't need any mechanical purchase, being able to lift several hundred pounds directly.

Joe, with the morning $0.02! Teeth

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt, ref the heeling issue--yes the lines are long enough to pull from the other side--but with a disabled person, often the person doing the pulling may have to be at the gunnel to help the person aboard. Although you have the trunk body up above the gunnel level, the legs have to be pulled aboard separately. Hypothermia works very fast, and in our Northern waters we often only have a few minutes before a person' begins to loose significant strength. (even Southern CA waters in the winter). I first considered this issue in the 60's when a lady died on the side of a Cal 28--they had hoisted her out of the water, but not high enough to get aboard the boat and below to start the warming process.

Of course as the boat heels, the davit arm tends to pivot outboard I suspose that one could compensate for this, by the geometry of the davit when building the mount--but I prefer it to be straight because some lifts are going to be from the cockpit or from the cabin house.

The other issue, is that one has to make the decision as to which way they will be pulling (from the bottom or across the top thru the double cam cleat) when the pick up occurs. The pull from the bottom, or top requires different fair leads, and it would be difficult to change once there is any weight on the davit.

It would work very well for diving gear. We had also used a similar davit for pulling shrimp pots (but without the multiple ratio--just using one block or a snatch block and 1:1 ratio). In this case a fair lead to a which would be handy--and is what we did in the past with larger boats.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe, interesting thought--and I am familiar with the magic box concept. The lift distance will be in the 6 to 7 foot range--so it may be beyond the capability of the magic box's range. (the ones I have used were in the range of a couple of feet).

The small reel winch, is also a possibility--both manual or electic--and you would have to spool the amount of line. Of course in any case, there is the time element to get the hoisting system in place in case of an emergency--and this would apply to just the simple Garhauer davit or a more complex system...Perhaps not easy to do in a singificant seaway. The base would be easy to put in place, and if the top ring was already bolted in place, it would be fairly quick--but if you had to bolt the top ring in place, it would take some significant time. I would not leave this type of set up rigged for "man over board" specifically--whereas on our larger boats we had lifting systems permently rigged, which we used to bring the 12.5 foot RIB (about 380 lbs, with engine, battery fuel etc) aboard in a monents notice. This used an electric reel winch which had a pulling capacity of 1200 lbs dead lift and used SS cable. If one was going with an electric winch, it probably would be as easy and cheaper to just design the entire system around a davit which uses this cable reel winch--such as Les did on the C Dory.
matt_unique

City/Region: Boston
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Napoleon
Photos: Napoleon
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:33 pm    Post subject: Pull Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
Matt, ref the heeling issue--yes the lines are long enough to pull from the other side--but with a disabled person, often the person doing the pulling may have to be at the gunnel to help the person aboard. Although you have the trunk body up above the gunnel level, the legs have to be pulled aboard separately. Hypothermia works very fast, and in our Northern waters we often only have a few minutes before a person' begins to loose significant strength. (even Southern CA waters in the winter). I first considered this issue in the 60's when a lady died on the side of a Cal 28--they had hoisted her out of the water, but not high enough to get aboard the boat and below to start the warming process.

Of course as the boat heels, the davit arm tends to pivot outboard I suspose that one could compensate for this, by the geometry of the davit when building the mount--but I prefer it to be straight because some lifts are going to be from the cockpit or from the cabin house.

The other issue, is that one has to make the decision as to which way they will be pulling (from the bottom or across the top thru the double cam cleat) when the pick up occurs. The pull from the bottom, or top requires different fair leads, and it would be difficult to change once there is any weight on the davit.

It would work very well for diving gear. We had also used a similar davit for pulling shrimp pots (but without the multiple ratio--just using one block or a snatch block and 1:1 ratio). In this case a fair lead to a which would be handy--and is what we did in the past with larger boats.

Without seeing the system in person, would it be possible to hoist someone up, lock the line, then grab them and rotate the davit to pull them into the cockpit? Does the system lift a person high enough to do this if the base is mounted to the floor? I suppose it may also depend upon how long the lifting strap is as well.

This is great insight - thanks!

Former owner of Napoleon (Tomcat) Hull #65 w/Counter Rotating Suzuki 150's.
breausaw

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
Vessel Name: Triple J
Photos: Triple J
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adeline wrote:
I stumbled onto these after I'd already bought my hypalon Achilles(for twice as much). To me they look like a great value.

Saw these on Ebay, there heavy. Think thats why you don't see weight in a lot of the ads.

Jay

2007 22ft C-Dory Triple J 2007-2012
2007 25ft C-Dory Triple J 2012-2018
Boatless for now but looking
jstates

City/Region: SHELTON
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Endurance
Photos: Endurance
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:50 pm    Post subject: Inflatable options - Soar vs Aire inflatables Reply with quote

Greg

In response to your questions on page 1 about Soar inflatables:

I initially tried a 14 foot soar - a very dry inflatable canoe. Well built expedition boat - owner Larry of the Soar line was easy to work with. If you like to canoe and definitely want to sit above the water give it a try. I think I would have liked the 12 footer better.

I returned it due to size and as stated before hard to paddle in the wind with one person, the biggest reason was that as much as I like to canoe [instructor for years in New England] the one sided effort of canoing versus paddling on both sides in kayaking was uncomfortable for my particular back problem.

I then borrowed an Aire import called the Tributary strike [5 yr warranty] - an inflatable kayak. Big difference - easier to manage for on and off the Dory for me but closer to the water[wetter] and it still did not track that great using the Sea kayak paddles that I have for a Current Designs sea kayak.

After reviewing the www.theboatpeople.com website for months I purchased the Aire Super Lynx 14' 43 pounds - and know I made the right choice for my body - and paddling desires. They rated it as one of the faster inflatables. It is a cross between the Lynx II a tandem white water boat that has more rocker and the very long Sea Tiger their inflatable seakayak 18" - and 62 pounds. It will handle some serious white water in bigger rivers where the rock garden maneuvering required in New England is not an issue. I used one like it years ago [tandem] on some III-IV water on the Snake or Salmon. On flatter water - It will handle three adults as a dinghy to shore no problem and it will also handle two adults and a Rotweiller wearing his life jacket standing up and walking back and forth without big stability problems.[Stern paddler gets lots of dog kisses in that situation] It has one of thickest IK floors - hence dryer. Great seats that can be moved around or used on shore etc. It handles very well solo - with 2-3 gallon container of water in the front seat or just move the seat to the 1/3 position and less wt.

On the way home from the Gulf Island - we spent the night in the Blakely Harbor Marina - just south of Orcas. I paddled around Blakely island solo - both with and against current - using wind, waves, surfing, and back eddies - - it was a blast - and got to see some great wildlife.

What I like about the Super Lynx is it is very easy to get into from the water, and from CDORY -It is difficult to flip it by accident on flat water, I also like the idea of the Super lynx for young families - with two younger kids who want to look over the side at sea life in shallow water - balance is not difficult. It makes good platform for photography, or just checking out the shore line. Its fun to surf some tidal rips and should be fun to take out on the coast in the surf next summer.

It will not tow easily due to self draining ports that fill when pulled fast.

NRS - is an Idaho boating equipment and guide company and they use the Aire boats for guiding due to durability, - dogs not a problem and great warranty.

Aire boats come with 10 yr no fault warranty - double wall, zipped outer tubes and inner bladder, they are easy to blow up

One other piece - I consider this boat a survival boat if I ever have to leave the CDory - we will get wet [low profile for reduced windage] but in the worst ocean conditions two persons can lie flat - head to toe and still keep kayak paddles to the sides for stability [an old technique to make canoe more stable in big storm] once the object became surviving rather than navigating to a specific spot.

One minor negative - the stainless drain ring in the pockets sewed into the seat backs is poor quality and will rust onto the floor- I just pulled it off - the sealed nylon is fine without it.

I have no financial connection to Aire - or Soar - they both make fine products.

If anyones lives anywhere near S Puget Sound and want to try it let me know - - there are some photos that others took of it on top of the CD-22 Endurance on the Gulf Island trip - will try to post a couple of other photos soon.

Jim
on Endurance
Nan-C

City/Region: Oakland
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: Nan-C
Photos: Nan-C
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim

Thanks for the great info on the Aire Super Lynx. Ironically, Lee at theboatpeople had given me enough info last spring to convince me this would be a great choice for us. We were going to drive over to his place in Danville to get one the last day of our trip to pick up the C-Dory, but it got to be rush hour which would have turned a short trip into a long one that did not fit our schedule. Later I started looking at the SOAR and was seduced by the hypalon and the stable width. However, we have no canoe skills, and I think you have saved us from making a mistake. It is tough to buy something like this without trying it out, and good info like yours really increases the odds for making a good choice.

Thanks again.

Greg
IT-SEA-BIT-C

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watcha guys think of the walker bay genisis R I B ,? know its a little big for small c- dorys & rangers , lookin at the 10 footer to play with around the marina and a few close beaches on the river . anyone have any experience with one? never had a inflateable ,how good is that hayplon , tuff as they say? co. gaurantees it for 10 yrs. kinda curious?....john
colobear

City/Region: Denver
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2006
Photos: C-Cakes
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itsy

It depends on where you are planning to store the dinghie. If you plan to keep it inflated on the cabin top of a 22' or 25' the weight and length of the
Walker Bay could be quite a problem. If you plan to tow it everywhere then a bigger dinghie might work. what size C-Dory do you have?

IT-SEA-BIT-C

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

c cakes ,unfourtanetly i dont have a c-dory , its-sea bit -c is a long story .but am looking into a 21 ec this year. current boat is stripped out hustler 26 (750)horses. race only . looking at a rib for playing around in thats all , sorta like that walker-bay but a bit pricey, thanks for the reply was just wondering how it handeled--------------john
dogon dory

State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: DogOnDory
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Folks - Post Deleted By Author

Last edited by dogon dory on Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:51 am; edited 1 time in total
IT-SEA-BIT-C

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you"re the best Dan! i think i saw that thing awhile back in one of the million boating rags i subscribe to, was an article about the high speed drug runners. hey is that pic of the bears in your back yard just kidding always good to hear from u Dan see ya bud ////////john
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Dinghys All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: