The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Questions about a new motor for an oldie (1985)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:00 am    Post subject: Re: Questions about a new motor for an oldie (1985) Reply with quote

tsturm wrote:
Sea Wolf wrote:
tsturm wrote:
Lori Ann wrote:
tsturm wrote:
I would go with a Yamaha. Wink (better cold water performance)

I like my Yamahas, but did not know that better cold water performance was another advantage -- is this just in comparision to the E-tek or in comparison to other 4-strokes also?

Warren

I used a 90 Honda 4 stroke for two winters, before switching to a Yamaha F-100. My own experience is what I am basing my statements on! Mr. Green Beer Other's mileage may vary Wink

The performance of any good EFI engine will outdo an outdated carbureted engine virtually every time.

That's the reason we were criticizing the Honda 90's carburetered design which was only finally changed in the 2007 models with the general engine re-design!

Yes, Oldgrowth Dave will have much to say about this CD-18 repower!

Joe. Teeth

Both my Honda & Yamaha are / were Carbeureted. Hopefuly the later FI models of either have addressed this cold blodded concern Mr. Green Beer

My 2005 Yamaha 90 4-Stroke EFI motor starts and runs just like a first class new car, regardless of the weather or any other conditions.

It's electric smooth and quiet as well.

It replaced a 1987 Evinrude 90 2-stroke smoker that was pretty much indestructable, but of another era technologically.

Comparing the two is likening a miller's waterwheel to a hydroelectric plant.

18 years of technological improvement ='s light years of difference!

Joe. Teeth

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
SeaFare

State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 18 Angler
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:00 pm    Post subject: Thanks for ideas Reply with quote

I appreciate all the comments written in response to my post about repowering my 1985 18'. A number of you mentioned "Oldgrowth Dave" and "Byrdman", and one mentioned Ben Toland who might have been involved in the design and construction of my model boat. I plan to follow up with contacts to these people if I can.

I probably now have more new questions from your suggestions, but they represent considering other options. I'm definitely on a learning curve and appreciate how helpful it is to hear the discussions.

Thank you all - what a great source of information The C-Brats provide.

Dee
SeaFare
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: