The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Canvas suggestions for Tomcat
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
matt_unique

City/Region: Boston
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Napoleon
Photos: Napoleon
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:06 pm    Post subject: Canvas suggestions for Tomcat Reply with quote

One of my primary requirements that led me to C-Dory was a solid pilot house with no canvas. The canvas that many use on the C-Dory is nice and provides cockpit protection in various weather conditions, etc. but my preference is to avoid canvas.

With that as the context, I do want a solution to protect my investment while she's alone on the mooring. I plan to get a canvas cover for the cockpit. I'm looking for a single piece of canvas that would snap from the back of the roof to the transom and of course down the sides to keep out water, birds, etc.

Any suggestions as to the best way to accomplish this? Would I basically have to take her to a canvas shop to get measured/fitted or are there canvas shops that have C-Dory templates already?

Thanks

Former owner of Napoleon (Tomcat) Hull #65 w/Counter Rotating Suzuki 150's.
drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt,

I am certain that King Canvas, the usual C-Dory canvas supplier, could make you a cockpit cover, but so could most canvas shops. I am guessing you'd install the snaps on the boat itself unless you could leave the boat there.

Anyway, I think you could call King Canvas and ask them if they have a template for that 206-283-9346. I think that's the number.

John
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "slant back" is the best solution for covering the cockpit. King wanted about $900 for one for the CD 25--which I thought was a bit much, considering that I already had all of the fittings in place.

I would suggest that you have a local canvas shop do the work. It will be custom fit, and I suspect a better fit.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
GxK

City/Region: Frenchman's Bay, Lake Ontario
State or Province: ON
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 24 Tomcat
Vessel Name: At Last! ex Goose
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:25 am    Post subject: Canvas suggestions for TomCat Reply with quote

Would King Canvas also be the recommended source for canvas work for a TomCat 24?

Any TomCat 24 owners have other recommendations?

--Georgs

Frenchman's Bay, Lake Ontario
http://tomcat-tales.blogspot.com/
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Georgs-

Since there are so few Tomcat 24's, I'd bet the very best recommendation would be to have a local shop to you with a reputation of high-quality work do your canvas work so that you can get custom design, fittting, installation, modification, and return service.

It certainly would pay off to look for design alternatives among the 24's here, though!

Good Boating (or ice skating!)

Joe

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
GxK

City/Region: Frenchman's Bay, Lake Ontario
State or Province: ON
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: At Last! ex Goose
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sea Wolf wrote:
Since there are so few Tomcat 24's, I'd bet the very best recommendation would be to have a local shop to you with a reputation of high-quality work do your canvas work so that you can get custom design, fittting, installation, modification, and return service.

I thought of that but as I have no experience with canvas work of this type, I wasn't sure about paying to reinvent the wheel here when it already has been done elsewhere.

Quote:
Good Boating (or ice skating!)

Lake Ontario certainly isn't Lake Shasta. The sun is shining today but temps are barely into the 40s. Most other boats have been pulled for the winter but I'm hoping to squeeze in a few more weeks before the snow flies. The effective Wallas stove/heater aboard At Last sure does help.

--Georgs
Zydecomo

City/Region: SHELBURNE
State or Province: VT
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: FanTC
Photos: FanTC
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:52 pm    Post subject: Canvas Reply with quote

I highly recommend King marine. They have the patterns for the Tom Cat 24 and did quality work, as well as shipped the canvas from Washington to Vermont. Everything fit together and they provided support when I had questions.

Phil from Vermont
Papillon

City/Region: DeBary, Fl. *On the St. John's River*
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Papillon
Photos: Papillon
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no doubt that King Canvas does quality work. With that said I also have no doubt they are very proud of their work, it shows in their pricing. Having the patterns and having done so much of the C-Dory canvas over the years should have brought the price down...not up. As Dr Bob has pointed out, $900 for a C-Dory 25 Mooring Cover is just about a grand slam out of the ball park for that item.

Quality canvas can be found at the local level, and I would suggest you take your boat to one of your neighbors and get a quote before making up your mind.

1993 Angler-02' 115 Suzuki 4 Stroke
Zydecomo

City/Region: SHELBURNE
State or Province: VT
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: FanTC
Photos: FanTC
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree a local shop should be able to produce a better priced product and I prefer to support local business. Unfortunately for me, the local shops did not offer better pricing for the full canvas with screens and plastic windows etc even with shipping included.
matt_unique

City/Region: Boston
State or Province: MA
Vessel Name: Napoleon
Photos: Napoleon
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:48 pm    Post subject: Canvas Reply with quote

I have been thinking more and more about the canvas. The reality is I don't want it and I'm trying to determine if I really need it.

My Tomcat will spend nearly the entire season on a mooring. The scuppers look pretty good and I have multiple bilge pumps. The only reason I was considering canvas at this point was to keep water and bird droppings out of the cockpit while I'm away. The bird droppings I address with a gull sweeper with or without canvas so the real issue is rain water.

Beyond my dislike for canvas there is a coal power plant nearby. Unfortunately the coal dust gets on everything over time. When you have canvas, a black line will form on your hull where the canvas meets the hull for example. The coal is basically sand blasted into the hull due to the wind and requires serious scrubbing to get it off. I'm also concerned about screwing in a dozen snaps along the roof, gunwales, and transom.

What are your thoughts about the need for canvas based on my circumstances described above? Will the Tomcat scuppers/pumps reliably keep her afloat?

Thanks
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my Tom Cat a year ago and it has lived in a marina slip all that time, without canvas, without problems. I did have to pump out the fishboxes periodically as they fill up from rainwater, but other than that, no problemo.

I am having canvas installed as we speak, however.

Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA

Last edited by Doryman on Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
lloyds

City/Region: sublimity
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: undecided
Photos: 1996 22 Cruiser (Lloyds)
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think if you keep everything covered with a good coat of wax, with some good UV protection you should be fine. I had sailboats moored directly under a glide slope at a couple large airports and didn't have canvas and everything was okay. Just took some extra cleaning once in awhile to get it bright. Bird droppings are the worst part, especially if they are eating berries. The gulls dropping garbage is also problematic.
Dreamer

City/Region: Really Sunny SaddleBrooke
State or Province: AZ
Photos: Dreamer
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we lived in Sacramento, a fellow from our boat club there had a good plan for getting the best canvas price. He went to the Bay Area where there are lots of canvas shops and asked for bids from 5-6 of them and let them know he was shopping around. It was amazing how the $5000 canvas job came down to $3200! I imagine the greater Boston area should have more than a few canvas shops.

Warren, who's doing your canvas? I hope you'll post photos when it's done.

Once a C-Brat, always a C-Brat

Dreamer- Sold 25 Feb. 2013
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dreamer wrote:
Warren, who's doing your canvas? I hope you'll post photos when it's done.

Rick at EQ. It will be a pretty standard installation for them. I went over many of the unique features of other brats' canvas with Les and now understand how they came to settle on this standard after many trial-and-error experiences.

For comparison purposes with some of the other prices that have been posted, I am expecting to pay about $3K for the full canvas, with all windows zipout-able and replaceable with screen panels.

Pix of all the EQ mods will be posted!

Warren
Jazzmanic

City/Region: Seattle
Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO, the canvas was one of the best items we added to our boat. Being in the wet PNW, it's nice to close off the cockpit to the rain, especially when we have a wet summer as we did this past summer. More so, the canvas really opens up our boat and makes it seem as if the boat is a lot bigger with the extra room. Of course, our boat is a CD22 and is a little more cramped when compared to the TC255. Plus, many times, we had the bimini top up but not the sides, giving it a protected but open feeling.

Did we NEED the camperback? Probably not. But I'm sure glad we have one. Good luck on your decision.

Email: pjamero@gmail.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: