The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Mounting A BBQ

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Swee Pea

City/Region: Bath
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Swee Pea
Photos: Swee Pea
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 12:48 pm    Post subject: Mounting A BBQ Reply with quote

I know this topic has come up. but... I am in the process of making a bracket for a COBB BBQ. The BBQ uses 8 coals but the unit itself remains cool so it can be handled and moved. Most of the cooking occurs over coals, cover on, but no flame. The unit itself can be placed on the deck with no problem.

I don't want to clutter the deck or bend over the grill. I devised a mount system for the gunwale. My question is .. when mounting the BBQ, how far from the gas vent should it be? I read somewhere that one owner of a propane grill mounted it over the gas tanks near the motor. Does the gas tank vent pose a serious threat to the operation of the BBQ? I don't want to blow myself into never never land. Any help will be appreciated.

John P
MOOSE

City/Region: Rainy Lake - Int'l. Falls
State or Province: MN
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: MOOSE
Photos: MOOSE
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mounted our propane BBQ over the motor well and really have no concern over the explosion hazard, barring a major gasoline leak. At which point, I hope I'd have the sense not to light the thing. Seriously though, I think as long as you are a reasonable distance from the vent (i.e.-not right on top of it) that you would be well below the lower explosive limit of a gas:air mixture and thus could grill away with impunity.
Al
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swee Pea

Here's my best-guess opinion on your questions!

Sounds like you have a very user-friendly and comparatively safe unit. Many on-board BBQ's are propane, and should therefore be mounted to the outside of the gunnel to prevent gas build-up in the event of a flame-out.

The gas vents usually don't present much of a real threat unless the tanks have been overfilled, and vented vapors and particularly liquid gas are being spilled from the vents, as would be especially the case in rough water.

However, I'd keep the hot coals away from the vents and the tanks, for that matter, as far as conveniently possible, say up around the forward part of the gunnel near the cabin bulkhead and at least 2 feet from the vents.

Some people mount BBQ's over the engine well, which is not bad for gaseous propane when the engine isn't running as the unburned propane gas from a flame out will run out the drains at the rear of the well.

Your real danger is the vents, along with the possibility that the BBQ might spill hot coals into the cockpit if disturbed or dropped when being moved for some unforseen reason. I'd design a mount that could be used on either side of the boat (to allow use when tied up to either side of a dock and allow entrance to the boat) and hold the BBQ out over the water.

Some ready-made mounts utilize fishing rod holders as bases to make dual use of the mounts, and the design could be copied if it works for you and your BBQ.

Best advice yet: Wherever you mount it, be sure you have the right kind of fire extinguisher mounted as close as possible nearby.

Hope this helps! Bon Apetit! Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swee Pea - John

I've got one of those round Magma Stainless Gas Grills on Captain's Choice and the bracket that the arm fits in is mounted on top of the Starboard Lazarette Cover. That way, I can swing it in to light/check it, out to BBQ. While it's near the vent from the Stbd Gas tank, gasoline fumes are heavier than air and should go down, rather than up. With any kind of air moving at all, it should never even be an issue.

If something gets out of hand (I've been known to offer a burnt sacrifice Angry Angry if I don't pay more attention to the BBQ than the vino) I can either flip the flaming food into the drink or pull the pin and write off the whole shebang! Smile

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
Steven Dore

City/Region: Ocean Marine - Portsmouth, VA
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Orca
Photos: Orca
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have mounted my Magma grill to the handles on the port or starboard side of the cabin bulkhead exterior. That way it is over the side and any drippings do not get on the deck or gunnels.

Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: