State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave-

Thanks for the compliment!

Now back to the heating / cooking thread...................

On another post tonight, Dave S mentioned something about staying warm at night at a dock by using not only an electric heater, but also an electric blanket in the v-berth Of course, it would work in the converted dinette berth too!

I don't believe I've ever heard the electric blanket mentioned before here, although I've thought about it a few times myself.

How many others have used an electric blanket on board?

What were your experiences with it?

I think my Great Dane would love one in the v-berth!

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
jkidd

City/Region: Northern, Utah
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Voyager
Photos: Voyager (JK)
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heres some 12 volt heated blankets, but they draw 6.7 amps. Might have to add a battery to the boat.
http://www.heatedcarblanket.com/?gclid=CMmFrJmuuI8CFReQGgodV0hycg

DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Sea Wolf"
On another post tonight, Dave S mentioned something about staying warm at night at a dock by using not only an electric heater, but also an electric blanket in the v-berth Of course, it would work in the converted dinette berth too!
Joe.[/quote]

Joe, when I purchased "Sea Shift" through Les at EQ Marine, I requested that he install an electrical outlet in the V-Berth specifically for the purpose of plugging in an electric blanket. To date that is the only way that outlet has been used. (Nothing like crawling into a preheated bed, when securely moored to a dock in the dead of a PNW winter night).

C-Brat #16
lloyds

City/Region: sublimity
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
Vessel Name: undecided
Photos: 1996 22 Cruiser (Lloyds)
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had an origo two burner with oven on a previous boat and although it worked it wasn't a very hot burner, but it was definitely safe. You just have to put up with the moisture. That is when I discovered all alcohol is not created equal. Canadian alcohol was much hotter, and a little less moisture. Prior to that I had a pressurized kerosene. Not safe at all. A leak in the oven burner eventually ignited and almost burned the boat to the water. Since then I used propane. Easy, fast, not overly hot. Then I bought a one burner butane stove for the 16. Way better stove in my opinion. Gets hotter. If it even put out an equal amount of moisture as propane it would still be less because it gets hotter, faster. I have never seen any controlled test results, just opinion.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lloyds wrote:
I have had an origo two burner with oven on a previous boat and although it worked it wasn't a very hot burner, but it was definitely safe. You just have to put up with the moisture. That is when I discovered all alcohol is not created equal. Canadian alcohol was much hotter, and a little less moisture. Prior to that I had a pressurized kerosene. Not safe at all. A leak in the oven burner eventually ignited and almost burned the boat to the water. Since then I used propane. Easy, fast, not overly hot. Then I bought a one burner butane stove for the 16. Way better stove in my opinion. Gets hotter. If it even put out an equal amount of moisture as propane it would still be less because it gets hotter, faster. I have never seen any controlled test results, just opinion.

lloyds-

Glad you brought up the moisture issue! It's a major distraction when using alcohol as a fuel for stoves and heaters!

Alcohol seems to produce more water vapor that other fuels. This is because on the OH (hydroxyl) oxygen/hydrogen combination on the end of the basic hydrocarbon chain. Simple hydrocarbons like propane and butane lack the OH radical that combines with other released Hydrogen atoms to produce extra HOH (H2O). (More than regular hydrocarbon combustion.)

The difference you experienced in temperatures with Canadian and American alcohol may have been attributable to one being methyl alcohol (CH3OH) and the other ethyl alcohol (C2H5OH).

As Tucker says: Keep your lifejacket on! (In case you have to jump overboard during a fire!)

Joe.Smile
lloyds

City/Region: sublimity
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
Vessel Name: undecided
Photos: 1996 22 Cruiser (Lloyds)
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moisture is definitely a problem for most fuel burning stoves, other than outside vented models. And if you ever have a fire on board, as I did, and you touch off a halon extinguisher, you better have a good source of oxygen. Halon takes it all away. I almost didn't make it out of the cabin when I touched it off. Lungs just lock up. The dive up through the companionway took all the skin off the fronts of my legs. And as an added insult, it didn't keep the fire down. It went out okay, but as soon as the oxygen crept back in the superheated oven reignited the excess kerosene. Eventually a neighbor showed up with a bicarbonate extinguisher which worked. Low tech, but totally trashed the inside of the boat. Pitted every piece of polished metal in the cabin.
Big dave

City/Region: Vancouver
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Raven Dancer
Photos: Raven Dancer
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:54 pm    Post subject: Propane Heater Reply with quote

Dan.Kelly,
What ever you do please don't use a propane heater inside your boat. I would have my cousin talk to you about it, but he died along with his sisters husband, trying to keep warm in an enclosed area.
A propane heater out in the cockpit with the sides rolled up with plenty of ventalation is fine, but in a enclosed area you will be tempted to close the door or widows more & more trying to get warm until you go to sleep, and when you do you will not wake up !
Please, Please don't put yourself and your family in that danger. Children will fall under the effects faster then you will. I miss my cousin, he was a great guy.
I don't know you, but you are part of this crazy C-Dory family now, and I can tell you for a fact we all care about you and the last thing we want to read about is a fellow "Brat" dying in his boat.
Sorry to cast a pall on this thread, but I had to put my first hand experience in here.
Your Fellow Brat.
Big Dave
Raven Dancer.
dan.kelly14

City/Region: Wasilla,Alaska
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: misty lady
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank's for all the help.. I have been e-mailing tsturm. So I will go with his origo alcohol stove.. I plan on having my 8yr old daughter with me this summer in PWS, so I better stick with the alcoh. stove rather then propane.. she's looking forward to going there for herself to comb the beach for treasure's.. Razz My last boat was a 17ft bayrunner, so she wasn't able to go because of the elements.
THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP
PS: I named my boat. I bought it on my son's birthday 1yr old Cake . His name is TY..
SO: TY 1 ON is it. Hope the daughter does'nt get jealous. Crook
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cabin, Interior All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: