Al & Pat Parker

City/Region: New Bern
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Knot Home
Photos: Knot Home
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Folks,
And thanks to captd who I think started this thread. I had mentioned the topic in 2nd seating, as both are of interest to us.
We were interested in thickness and density of foam, and memory vs "plain" egg crate, etc.
Looks to us that 2 or 3" of mem foam is good, 3 or 4 lbs/cuft. We just ordered a large pc of 3" (advertised) mem foam that has an egg-crate surface. it was that or 2" flat mem foam at the same price (about $65 incl. shipping).
thanks again to all who contributed info.

on the Neuse River at New Bern
W8UT
www.boatanchors.org/C-Dory25.htm

"there is nothing -absolutely nothing- half as much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
(ratty to mole, Wind in the Willows)
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2" memory foam is available at Sam's. We had a queen size that we used for our CD-25, but when it comes time to replace it, we'll get a king size. You need that for the width, then cut to fit at the V. We, also, use a Trav-a-sack which adds to the cushiness. The Trav-a-sack has a "winter" and "summer" side (differs in thickness) that you can flip as needed.

We recently spent over 5 months on Wild Blue, with all but about 10 nights on board. Two enthusiastic thumbs up for the comfort of the berth with the above set up.

Best wishes,
Jim B.

Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al & Pat and others: Keep me posted on what comes in and what works best. Seems that we all agree that for extended sleeping, something is needed. I bought from REI one of the largest memory foam/self inflating then blow on it a few times pad and it works rean nice. Only, I do toss a bit at night, so having the entire V-berth covered would help. I was simply going to do a bit more research and see if there is a way I can join two of these together, It rolls into a nice "log" as you press it into it's roll shape. Actually made for hikers...who do not mind the "heavyness" on their weight load while hiking. Sure wish I had this back in the sleeping on the tracks and HUMVEEs....

Byrdman

C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 sold again.. May 2020
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hu #14 - Bought her again - May16
Aloysius, Sold to Brother Mike Mar16
Aloysius, Hull # 440 RF-246
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 Sold May09
TC24, Hull #51, Sold Feb06
CD16A, Sold Dec03
Never Deny Yourself The Pleasure of Helping Others.
bshillam

City/Region: Bellingham
C-Dory Year: 1981
Vessel Name: Heaven To Me
Photos: My Heaven
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:07 pm    Post subject: Source? Reply with quote

Anyone have a good source for 3" memory foam? I suspect that I would be most comfortable on a 3" pad. Also if anyone has experience in cutting for a cd22 would you suggest queen or king? Thanks.
Al & Pat Parker

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi bshillam,
We just ordered from www.overstock.com, they have several different options on thickness, mfgr, etc. We took the cheap way out, $63, for a CalKing size, to be cut as needed. Walmart shows that they have it in stores, but at $3 for shipping from O-stock, it doesn't pay us to drive to town and then find out they don't have it here. You can google and find lots of places & options.
good luck,
Ron on Meander

City/Region: Powell River
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Meander
Photos: Meander
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capt D,
We've added a 2 inch high density foam to our V-berth. It has made a huge difference in comfort for this plus size guy. I've also widened the V-Berth opening. I know you wouldn't do this with the Ranger but for me on the C-Dory 25 it has made a world of difference on the ease of getting in, out and sleeping in the V-Berth. It also has helped in improving the air circulation and heat transfer. (2 inch foam not shown in picture)

I really would prefer to have the dash on the 25 made like it is on the Tom Cat so that the entire v-berth is open at the same height. Changing the whole dash seemed like a bit too much work though. I still need to figure out a trim for around the new opening. I probably will go with a mahogany trim. I'm just waiting for a "round to it" to get it done.
Ron
captd

City/Region: Chain of Lakes
State or Province: MT
C-Dory Year: 1994
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Kon Tiki
Photos: Hunky Dory
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron,
What are we looking at in the picture. Did you add the 2 inches of foam and recover the old and the new? Where do carry the two inch foam?. It sure looks good. Bet the extra opening makes it a lot easier to get in and out. I was a little too big for the C-22 unless I had it all by myself. The dinette was a little to small for either of us.
captd

2007 25 R Ranger (Mis Dee) sold 2008
2009 25 R Ranger (Lucky Fin) sold
1994 22 ft C-Dory ( Kon Tiki )
Ron on Meander

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capt D,
The two inch foam pad is not shown in this picture. We cut it to the shape of the v-berth and made a cover for it. We slept on it for three weeks this summer and it made a world of difference in comfort. I take it out of the boat when we will not be using it to help promote circulation of air and prevent any mildew while the boat sits. We bought the 2 inch foam pad from a upholstry shop in Vancouver. It might not have been the cheapest source but they had samples of about 10 different thicknesses and densities which allowed me to compare and choose the one I thought would work best.
The wider v-berth opening makes sleeping there much better for me. I can stretch my arms out now and I'm not rubbing the top of my head against the bulk head any more. I really like it now. I've slept a couple of nights on our dinette and its fine. In the 25 there is plenty of room for one to sleep comfortably on it.
Ron
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron on Meander wrote:
The wider v-berth opening makes sleeping there much better for me. I can stretch my arms out now and I'm not rubbing the top of my head against the bulk head any more. I really like it now. I've slept a couple of nights on our dinette and its fine. In the 25 there is plenty of room for one to sleep comfortably on it.
Ron

I've never slept in a C-dory V-berth. Do most people use them feet to bow, head to bow, or sideways?

Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lori Ann wrote:

I've never slept in a C-dory V-berth. Do most people use them feet to bow, head to bow, or sideways?

Warren

Well, one of us likes to go one way, and the other... nevermind. Cool

Just funnin' you, Warren ol' buddy. Since most v-berth situations have limited head room, we (and everyone else I've visited with about this) sleep feet to bow (since most people are wider at the shoulders than the feet Wink ). Having said that, when I nap in there by myself, I will sometimes sleep head to bow... but that would be a bit crowded with two.

Regarding the other question that you PMed (jammies, skivvies, or comando) - well, that's none of your business. Rolling Eyes

Best wishes,
Jim
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warren

Everyway but sideways. Width was really not a problem with head to the bow. We like to sleep close. Its the no headroom thing and the nose being to close to the anchor rode and bits of things it can bring aboard that keeps our feet in that direction normally.

I agree also that the travasak is great, shaped to fit and with little bunching is a big plus. Generally bring along extra blankets to add if extra cold. And these blankets are of the type that work well in the cabin during the day if one of us gets alittle chilly or the non thermastat controlled wallas isn't putting out what is just right for one or the other or it just plain desides to quit.

Jay

journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Ron that 2" of foam makes a world of difference, and it also makes it harder to get into the V-Berth.

I've thought of making that opening wider, but after looking at the bulkhead, note that it's a structural member. It's not just a thin piece of fiberglass, but is actually laminated over plywood, and attached to the hull with bolts. That must add a lot of stiffness to the hull/deck, and I decided to leave well enough alone.

Judy has threatened to take pictures of me getting into the V-Berth. I back in, and for someone with arthritis and uglyness, it isn't a pretty sight.

Boris
Ron on Meander

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
've thought of making that opening wider, but after looking at the bulkhead, note that it's a structural member. It's not just a thin piece of fiberglass, but is actually laminated over plywood, and attached to the hull with bolts. That must add a lot of stiffness to the hull/deck, and I decided to leave well enough alone.

Boris,
I wondered about the structural support too. I looked closely before I cut and found that inside the v-berth the bulk head is just pop rivetted to the overhead and it is not attached to the hull in any way. I came to the conclusion that it does not add any structural strength to the hull or deck but is constructed the way it is so that it has the strenght to stand upright without a lot of support. I may be wrong but I trailered 1500km and boated over a 1000nm since without any problems at all. If anyone has any difficulty getting in or out of the v-berth this really helps. I can now enter without my significant posterier imposing on Anne's space. Even with the added 2" of foam. I just hope Anne and Judy don't get together and decide to post pictures of our graceful entry of the v-berth. Moon
Ron
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have not cut out the bulkhead on the CD 25, but agree with Ron that it is non structural. If it was structural, it would be glassed into the deck. The bolts on the bottom have been known to work loose.

One can buy either the black or white edging for fiberglass at West marine--and a number of other sources. We would probably do that, rather than custom wood work--but so far, we have had "nough" room getting in and out--much batter than the CD 22, but not as good as the TC 255...

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Al & Pat Parker

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi folks,
A bit off the subject, but since you brought it up -- that "bulkhead" was the source of a bit of consternation for a while when we first got our 25. It does have some core or added thickness for most of it, but it thins down at the bottom. In ours, it didn't thin down quickly enough, or at least things were different somehow. With much of any ripples in the water, and any speed much above planing, there was a terrible banging noise. It took a while to find it, but those bolts at the bottom are not bolts, just lag screws into not much but maybe 1/4" of fiberglass. The hull would flex some and the bulkhead would rub (hard) the thickened portion against what it was screwed into, the bolts/screws couldn't be tightened enough to stop it. We ended up by putting a mess of flat washers in between the bulkhead and the vertical section that encloses the area under the V-berth. Had to get a cupla longer lag bolts. We traveled slowly until we figured it out.
Always something.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cabin, Interior All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: