The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

"Maintainer" Battery Chargers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jazzmanic

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:18 pm    Post subject: "Maintainer" Battery Chargers Reply with quote

As mentioned before, we are new to outside storage during the winter. The boat is winterized and covered. The batteries are disconnected. I was told by our mechanic to charge the batteries before I start the engine up in the spring. We don't have electricity where we store the boat so I guess I'll have to remove them at some point.

My question, while stored at home, do you hook them up continuously to a "maintainer" battery charger or do you just hook em up to a Portable battery charger to charge periodically but especially right before you are to use the boat? Confused

Email: pjamero@gmail.com
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are several trains of thought. One is that peroidically charging is best. Others use a pulse desulfator with a trickle charger. (battery minder) Most folks do not leave batteries on a regular charger full time. I use a timer on our RV to charge a set time during each day.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:52 am    Post subject: Winter Batteriy Care Reply with quote

Hi Peter,
Thanks for asking, I was going to as almost the same thing tonight so will be watching along with you on this one. I have a charger and electricity where I'm storing, but am wondering about how frequent to do the charging, One day a week, a day or two each month, or a week a month (It's a Guest 10 setup so each side charges one of the batteries, at I belive 5amps. I can check the battery voltages individually and start the charge at What level?
Thanks to those who are much handier at this than I am.
Harvey
SleepyC

drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jazz,

While Dr. Bob and others have described special chargers capable of providing progammed charging protocols, etc., there is another, inexpensive, simple way to maintain batteries over prolonged storage.

There are tiny little flyback chargers 350-500 milliamp, I think, that I keep hooked up on all my farm equipment when off use for very long. Harbor Freight has them on sale sometimes for $5-9 each. Just clip the tiny charger's leads to the batteries, set them up so overheating won't cause a big fire, and your batteries will not freeze and will maintain optimum charge. They will be ready when you need them.

I even keep one on my riding lawnmowers batteries to avoid the annual ritual of having to replace them, or have the mowers not start when you need them.

Most ppl say it's best to remove the batteries off season. I use my stuff off and on all year.

I have had to replace batteries in my motorhome from damage from overcharging, low liquid, freezing,etc.. Keeping the tiny chargers on has solved that problem.

Dr. Bob explained in another thread that most of the chargers coming with boats and motorhomes are not designed to be left "on" all the time. Unless you have a timer, or monitor the "on" "off" time, you'll have problems.

John
drjohn71a

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking more about Dr.Bob's first post... I am guessing one could connect a timer on the 110 volt shorepower line, that would turn the charger on an hour or so a day. Maybe those lamp timers would work, depending upon Wattage?

Dr. Bob... is your timer built into the boat or charger? ...or do you have a shorepower timer device?

John
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a industerial size plug in timer--rated at 10 amps--that is overkill. But there is much less chance of a problem with the larger relays.
Minnow

City/Region: East Amwell
State or Province: NJ
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Minnow
Photos: Minnow
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The factory installed Guest charger and other "smart" chargers, like the portable Battery Tender from Deltran, are 3-stage chargers. That is, they offer bulk, absorbtion, and float stages of charging.
In the float stage, the voltage, as well as the amperage, tapers off to a level that can be left connected indefinitely without overcharging and losing water in the battery.
As long as the battery is charged, it's specific gravity is high enough that it will not freeze.
I don't bother taking the batteries out for the winter. Just plug it in and forget them.
If you don't have power at the boat, buy a Battery Tender ($40) and move it around to all your off duty batteries every few weeks.
drjohn71a

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that information, Minnow... I was wondering why manufacturers would be so lax as to not include the multiple phases! Now I can relax on that count.

John
Jazzmanic

City/Region: Seattle
Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great info as usual. I've been contemplating installing a shore power/onboard charger solution like the one Sneaks installed. For now, I think I'll just charge the batteries every few weeks at home. Thumbs Up

Peter
james

City/Region: CRYSTAL RIVER
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: COOL CHANGE
Photos: COOL CHANGE
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have left the factory installed "guest" charger plugged in all of the time.
In two years I have had no problems. I have never had to add water...yet.

James

Adeline

City/Region: Vancouver
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: Adeline
Photos: Adeline
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed a "smart" charger and simply leave it on all the time. It monitors the voltage(float) and only charges when it has dropped to a preset level. I replaced the older 5 amp West Marine Brand(Statpower) with the 10 amp Xantrex for faster recovery on the water. The reason I prefer these types is that I can mount them where I like(inside on the bulkhead) and size my wiring accordingly. As I recall, the Guests come with fixed leads which limit your mounting options. BTW, the 5 amp West Marine is available for 1/2 what I paid for it...$100.00 with all original packaging and manual.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: