The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Generator-grounding-zincs
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeff and Julie

City/Region: Juneau, AK
Vessel Name: Atka
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:21 pm    Post subject: Generator-grounding-zincs Reply with quote

Forgive me if this question has been asked and answered. I have searched many generator threads and either can't find it, or don't understand!
We just picked up a Honda EU2000i generator and will be plugging in to our shore power connection on our boat. I just finished reading something on the web where a boat owner discovered that their boat was eating through zincs at a rather fast rate and they traced it back to their Honda generator. Something about the floating grounding wires needing to be changed inside the generator??
Has anyone experienced anything like this? I thought we could just plug into our shore power and that was it??
We are really hoping to be able to get to some of the marine state parks over the fall and winter and really need the generator for that!

Thanks!
Julie
Alyssa Jean

City/Region: Guemes Is.(Anacortes)
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Alyssa Jean
Photos: Anna Leigh and Alyssa Jean
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is exactly how I use my Honda 2000. And I think also Pat. I have not noticed any noticeable degradation of the zincs.

Alyssa Jean 16 Angler
Anna Leigh 22 Cruiser Sold 2005
Anna Leigh 25 Cruiser Sold 2014

K7KJR C-Brats #51
SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not purchased our generator yet....but was looking at the 1k unit because of it's size..... I see most of you'all have the 2k unit... is that because you have a referigerator ? or electric heat ??

Joel
SEA3PO
tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SEA3PO wrote:
I have not purchased our generator yet....but was looking at the 1k unit because of it's size..... I see most of you'all have the 2k unit... is that because you have a referigerator ? or electric heat ??

Joel
SEA3PO

I use the Yamaha EF1000 small & Quiet Mr. Green Beer

Last edited by tsturm on Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jeff and Julie

City/Region: Juneau, AK
Vessel Name: Atka
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David,
Thank you for the reply!! Sounds like we are good to go.

Joel,
We do have a fridge on our boat. We also wanted to make sure we could use it at home to power the fridge, freezer, space heater, etc. I tried it out yesterday and it worked great! We were without power for 5 days last year and don't want to do that again!

Julie
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I'll mention what I think is right regarding stray currents, and anybody can correct me.

The zincs are there to be sacrificed due to stray currents through the boats green chassis ground (not the white return wire.) Now, if you're plugging an isolated generator which has a chassis ground, return and power (green, white and black,) there is no way for any stray chassis ground current to go through the zincs. First there should be no currents through the chassis (or the GFI will blow,) second stray currents are DC currents and C-Dory put a galvanic isolator in the green line (at least in our C-25.) Third, the generator is not connected to the marina grounding system.

If anyone has a better explanation, please post it.

We bought the Honda 1000 (actually ~750 watts,) and it works great with a 40 amp battery charger AND the refridg. Haven't found a microwave that it will drive but with the wallis and butane stove we don't need another thing on board.

Boris
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those of us who have the 2000 Watt Honda's have larger air conditioners. Also the water heater will not run on the 1000 watt units. I have a 2000 watt on the Tom Cat, and it runs the 8300 BTU roof AC unit, plus a 20 amp battery charger. Or the water heater.

I have a 1000 watt Honda for the CD 25--it runs the Artic King 5,000 BTU air conditioning unit. It will not run the .95 amp microwave. It will run a 30 amp battery charger.

When you use the Honda, it does have a floating ground. If you use it occasionally I don't see a problem with the zincs. But the reversed polarity light will come on dimly, because of this "problem". The generator works fine. The same will happen if you use an inverter thru the same circuit--the "reversed polarity" light will come on. If you isolate the inverter circuit--there will be no problem.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
SEA3PO

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Good point.... I just have lights, a battery charger and basic radio stuff... nothing that would take much power....were just afraid of anchoring in a cove some night....leaving the lights on or the radio on and having a dead battery in the morning..... (I have two and always could jump one) Plus we like to stay for two or three days in one spot...would be nice not to have to worry about our battery charge.... so I think the little 1K unit will do just fine for us. I think I will go with the Yamaha unit....

Joel
SEA3PO
thataway

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most folks keep an extra battery aboard--even a small one--in case that they run down the starting battery.(which should not happen, since it needs to be switched off when you anchor). You can buy a garden tractor battery for $40--which will start the engine--it will cost you about $600 for the generator. You also have to have a substantial battery charger. The generators usually put out 8 amps 12 volt DC--to be at all effecient you would like to have a 20 to 40 amp battery charger. Running a 1 kw generator to put out 8 amps, is relatively in effecient....and takes a long time to charge up batteries, if they are low.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a case of electrical overkill in m y CD-22, but certainly not worried about coming up short on mobile electrons:

25 amp alternator on main motor

4 group 27 deep cycle batteries for 12 volt system

Vector 40 amp battery charger powered by shore power wired to group 27's

Honda 1000i generator wired to shore power for auxillary

2000 watt inverter

emergency battery/start pack/backup in helm foot locker wired to shore power system to charge...defuinitel;y overkill, but handy to jump start someone else.

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joel - Bob is right about the 1K generators being slow charging run down batteries. I have the Yamaha 1K generator and like it very much. It is a little lighter, a little quieter and has a little higher sustained output than the Honda. I don’t know if the Honda is the same but you have to turn off economy mode on the generator to charge the batteries. It is easy to carry a small 25 amp battery charger that you can plug into the generator for a faster battery charge.
________
Dave
Dora~Jean

City/Region: Simi Valley
Vessel Name: Dora~Jean
Photos: Dora~Jean
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joel, it sounds like your energy needs are similar to mine, no microwave or other real power-hungry devices on board. Although we do enjoy a DVD movie once in awhile at night (seems the only time I can find to enjoy a movie -- certainly can't at home, too many chores!).

I have a 30 Watt solar panel, it works great to replenish 15-20 amp hours during the day when I stay in one spot 2 or more days. Cheaper than a generator, no room needed for storage (stores under front bunk cushion), no fumes, gas, well you get the picture. Just a thought!

Corsair F-31 Trimaran 1996-2002
MacGregor 26X 1988-1996
Glaspar Seafair Sedan 18 (2)
StarCraft 19 & 22
Catalina 17 & 22
Crestliner 19
+4 Previous, 1/2 sail, 1/2 power
Adeline

City/Region: Vancouver
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: Adeline
Photos: Adeline
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
We bought the Honda 1000 (actually ~750 watts,) and it works great with a 40 amp battery charger AND the refridg. Haven't found a microwave that it will drive
Here is a microwave oven that I GUARANTEE will work fine with either the Honda 1000 or Yamaha 1000. I've owned this exact model for nearly 20 years and I took it with me when I shopped for my generator. They both powered it w/o a problem. Best of all, it fits perfectly inside the worthless icebox(door removed).

SEA3PO

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a neat little microwave.... it would not take much to remove that worthless ice box (first thing to go on my boat) and build it in to the boat...you might also put a shelf above or below it... I built 3 nice drawers in the place where mine went.....best thing was I built the drawers as deep as I could so I take advantage of all the space between the front and the hull...

Joel
SEA3PO
thataway

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just replaced my old (20 years) microwave which was on the Tom Cat--with a 600 watt one, which looks identical (WalMart for $33)--it uses max of 934 watts on 120 volts. I haven't tried it on my Honda 1000 (which happens to be in Calif)--but it will run fine on a 1000 watt inverter.

The lower the power output of the microwave, the longer it will take to heat the material--the half pint is 400 watts, most of the "automatic" microwaves are at least 700 watts OUTPUT. The input on 120 volts is often 15% higher than the "output")
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: