The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

trim tabs, do I need them? Brand or model choice..
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trims Tabs, Hydrofoils
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the Permatrim POC:

Lisa M. Munao
Administrative Asst
Shipyard Island Marina, Inc.
PO Box 249
1475 South Shore Drive
Washington Island, WI 54246
Toll Free: 800-213-3323
Fax: 920-847-2066
lisa@shipyardIsland.com
http://www.shipyardisland.com

She, or Andy has been very helpful. I've ordered a pair for my Suzi 115's on the TC255. Hopefully, they will act as trimtabs too, since the engines are quite far apart (there's no way to mount tabs on the 255) and I can trim them individually.

The Permatrims are made in NZ and I think Shipyard Island is the only US distributor. Cost me about $115 each with postage paid and including the recommended stuff to stick them down (in addition to the bolting).

Once I get them, and get them installed, I'll report on the seatrial results.

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
Dora~Jean

City/Region: Simi Valley
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Dora~Jean
Photos: Dora~Jean
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Charlie for the links, been on the fence whether to go the permatrim route or not. I would like to supplement my trim tabs in order to reduce drag they create when in heavy seas going 11-14 knots or so. I wrote Shipyard Island for a quote and posed my question.
Corsair F-31 Trimaran 1996-2002
MacGregor 26X 1988-1996
Glaspar Seafair Sedan 18 (2)
StarCraft 19 & 22
Catalina 17 & 22
Crestliner 19
+4 Previous, 1/2 sail, 1/2 power
Dora~Jean

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew at Shipyard Island already wrote back with answers! Here is some of his information:
Quote:
With Permatrims installed, it is common (depending on engine height on transom) to gain speed at WOT, where you will never gain anything at WOT with trim tabs. I have had many customers say that they use the Permatrims for bow control and leave the tabs alone (full up) unless they have a hull lean that needs to be addressed.

This pretty well convinces me to go for them, with twins I'd like a bit more lift back there, especially when I have extra people on board. More efficiency, that's what I'm after...

Quote forthcoming.
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone -- probably Bob Astin -- ran some tests that showed the permatrims took a couple of miles per hour off the top end (search for permatrim posts by thataway and you can probably find it quickly). I think the general consensus is that the tradeoff is worth it.

Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
Dora~Jean

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember that from Bob's experimentation. Still, I believe Permatrims will have a greater effect with less induced drag than the smaller trim tabs which are closer to the fulcrum of the boat (or whatever the center of effort is called). At least for twin installations.

It will also put more stress on the outboard trim/tilt mechanism, and for that matter, the transom. I'm willing to give them a try in any case.
oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve - let us know how they work out. I made my Permitrim and found that it made a big improvement in all aspect of my boat, including faster speeds at all RPM’s. That was on a 16, so it may be different on the 25.
________
Dave
Dora~Jean

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shipyard Island wrote back this morning (Sunday -- now THAT's dedication!). They are powder coated and color-matched to your outboard's mfr color, wow, classy. For my Yamaha F80's, they're $140 each with a full installation kit, with shipping about $300 for both. I'm waiting for the money tree to produce more fruit...
breausaw

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Triple J
Photos: Triple J
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: trim tabs, do I need them? Brand or model choice.. Reply with quote

[
Bennett 9 X 12 is what I went with. I would have gone with
12X12's but that would have required moving my kicker. Be sure to get the 1" shorter upper mount for the actuators! That will make life Way easy when hooking up hyd. lines! With trim tabs it's a Whole New Boat Mr. Green Beer

[/quote]

They have a joy stick control now. I have a single Honda 90 so this is vital information if I plan on installing a kicker, and I most likely will. Wondering if anyone has 12 x 12s installed with a kicker and Honda 90?
For that matter, what size is common on 22s?

Thanks,

Jay

2007 22ft C-Dory Triple J 2007-2012
2007 25ft C-Dory Triple J 2012-2018
Boatless for now but looking
tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: trim tabs, do I need them? Brand or model choice.. Reply with quote

breausaw wrote:
[
Bennett 9 X 12 is what I went with. I would have gone with
12X12's but that would have required moving my kicker. Be sure to get the 1" shorter upper mount for the actuators! That will make life Way easy when hooking up hyd. lines! With trim tabs it's a Whole New Boat Mr. Green Beer

They have a joy stick control now. I have a single Honda 90 so this is vital information if I plan on installing a kicker, and I most likely will. Wondering if anyone has 12 x 12s installed with a kicker and Honda 90?
For that matter, what size is common on 22s?

Thanks,

Jay[/quote]

If you put the kicker on a mount bracket the 12x12 will be fine. Get the rocker S/W & 1" shorter upper cilinder mounts! Mr. Green Beer
Jazzmanic

City/Region: Seattle
Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had the factory install the Bennett M120 Sport Tabs. The M120's are 10x12. After doing research on this site, it seemed that the M120's were the trim tabs of choice for many C-Brats. They work really well on our boat. However, we also had them install a Mini-Jacker kicker bracket in order for the kicker to clear the trim tabs. It made for a very nice and clean installation.

Sorry, the pic is so big but I don't know how to resize.

Peter
tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jazzmanic wrote:
We had the factory install the Bennett M120 Sport Tabs. The M120's are 10x12. After doing research on this site, it seemed that the M120's were the trim tabs of choice for many C-Brats. They work really well on our boat. However, we also had them install a Mini-Jacker kicker bracket in order for the kicker to clear the trim tabs. It made for a very nice and clean installation.

Peter

That is a Nice Bracket!!
breausaw

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jazzmanic wrote:

Peter

Nice clean looking installation. Wondering if your M120 sport tabs came with the Joy stick or toggle type switches? And if you got the joy stick contol switch how do you like it? When I went to the Bennett site it looks like all thier new trim tabs come with a joy stick control now, but was not able to find and technical specs or pictures.
Jazzmanic

City/Region: Seattle
Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Breausaw,

If I were to do it again, I would add the new (this year) Electronic Tab Indicator. It's really neat, a 3-in-1 control to automatically retract your tabs when you turn off the engine, it has the position indicators to show the position of each of your trim tabs and it is the tab controller to move your tabs up and down. It's called the EIC5000.

EIC5000

To answer your question about our tabs, we have the rocker control switch and not the joy stick. The switch is kind of counter-intuitive but you get used to it.
Peter
breausaw

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have now put close to 300miles on new Bennett EIC5000 trim tabs in various conditions; I have to say they’re truly remarkable especially in conjunction with the Permatrim. The most notable improvement is the ability to keep the bow down in chop, the Permatrim did ok but now in combination with the trim tabs the ride is significantly improved.

At high cruise (5200 rpm @ 23 to 25mph), motor trim level and about 60% trim I gain about 1 to 1.5 mph.

Intermediate cruise (4200 rpm @ 18 to 20mph), full down trim on motor and about 60% on tabs I gain about 1 or 1.5mph.

I tried different combinations like deploying just enough trim tabs for lateral level, and then use the Permatrim for bow attitude; this trim set-up never resulted in positive results.

Truly surprised at the speed gains made with so much trim, thought the drag would slow things down.

We are usually loaded heavy so please with overall economy and speed from 06 carbonated Honda BF90.

The EIC control is easy to use and accurate to boot, highly recommend this setup.

SIDE NOTE:
Prop is stock 13.5 x 15, and I’ve raised the motor so Permatrim plains on top of water at speed.

Jay
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raising the motor may have helped the speed. My 25 has the motor too low, and I am rasing it before this trip. I was not sure until I put the Permatrim on--and then it was too late to easily raise the motor last year.

Also you are lifting the stern more with both the trim tabs and the Permatrim. I agree, it is night and day with both the tabs and Permatrim (my 22 had neither tabs or a Permatrim--and I think that both are a great addition).

Bob

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trims Tabs, Hydrofoils All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: