The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

trim tabs, do I need them? Brand or model choice..
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trims Tabs, Hydrofoils
View previous topic :: View next topic  
breausaw

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Triple J
Photos: Triple J
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:44 pm    Post subject: trim tabs, do I need them? Brand or model choice.. Reply with quote

Ok, I changed the subject sense it seems the general consensus is trim tabs on a 22 do make a difference.
If I install trim tabs what model or brand is a good choice? I refuse to give good money to a boat shop for something I’m able to do on my own so ease of installation needs to be considered also. It’s going to be a long winter up here.

Jay

As I continue on my quest to buy a late model 22ft CD cruiser there is one option I’d like some feedback on, trim tabs.
Some of you seem to have gotten by without them and I’m wondering how much added advantage they truly have. My thoughts are with the narrow beam of the SD trim tabs would be a truly desirable option.
Are there disadvantages to having trim tabs or is it the expense?
I’ve looked for posts but unable to find one discussing trim tab pros and cons.

BTW, I’ve missed out on a couple of wonderfully outfitted boats; so now consider myself a seasoned buyer and won’t hesitate to pounce on the next suitable boat that comes along.. if the price it right.

Any feedback welcome,
Jay Reausaw
Anchorage Alaska

2007 22ft C-Dory Triple J 2007-2012
2007 25ft C-Dory Triple J 2012-2018
Boatless for now but looking

Last edited by breausaw on Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
chromer

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Photos: Checkpoint II
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES
marvin4239

City/Region: Jacksonville Florida/Wilmington NC
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-FLE II
Photos: C-FLE II
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never had trim tabs before and wasn't quite sure what to expect from them on my new boat. I love them and wouldn't consider not having them. With a full load of fuel and 50 lbs of ice in the cooler I use them to get on plane quicker. For leveling the boat from side to side they are great and in a heavy sea you can keep the bow down and cut through the sea for a much smoother ride.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beausaw-

Look here: Another New Trim Tab Believer

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
tom&shan

Photos: Dakota
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:02 pm    Post subject: Still getting used to them. Reply with quote

I realize that trim tabs are probably a requirement on a 19, but we still have some trouble using them. Not the issue with port/starboard with the switch, but at speeds greater than 12 knots with the tabs down we seem to continuously "loose control" of the boat, with it skidding sideways. At 7 knots it nice to move them down and see your speed pick up to 10 knots without touching the trottle, but its still unnerving to us to be moving along on a particular course and then all of sudden doing a 20 to 30 degree change in course.

Cheers,
Tom
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes
flapbreaker

City/Region: Hillsboro
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Playin' Hooky
Photos: Playin' Hooky
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Still getting used to them. Reply with quote

tom&shan wrote:
I realize that trim tabs are probably a requirement on a 19, but we still have some trouble using them. Not the issue with port/starboard with the switch, but at speeds greater than 12 knots with the tabs down we seem to continuously "loose control" of the boat, with it skidding sideways. At 7 knots it nice to move them down and see your speed pick up to 10 knots without touching the trottle, but its still unnerving to us to be moving along on a particular course and then all of sudden doing a 20 to 30 degree change in course.

Cheers,
Tom

This shouldn't happen on flat water but if your in following seas you shouldn't use the trim tabs. My understanding is you can and will be pushed around. I"ve had the same experience as you and am not sure if it's related to the trim tabs or just that the bottom is flat and if the nose is burried in a swell that the back can be pushed a different direction. Agan, I'm still trying to figure that one out.
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trim Tabs-----absolutely #1 addition to boat followed by a long list of others I wouldn't want to do without.

Jay

Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Still getting used to them. Reply with quote

tom&shan wrote:

Cheers,
Tom

Tom-

Trim tabs are an absolute necessity on the 19 because some built in stability that was lost when 3 feet were removed from the basic CD-22 Cruiser/Angler. Bill / Da Nag was the first to experience this and make the trim tab addition/correction.

If you're getting steered around by the boat, I'm guessing that you might be using too much down tabs, pushing the bow down hard in something other than upwind seas into the waves. Too much bow down trim (down pressure on the bow) with the waves coming in obliquely from the sides causes the "V" section up front to react strrongly to deeper water and higher wave pressure from one side or the other. It steers away from the higher side of the wave.

I can get the same effect in my 22 Cruiser, and it would be magnified in a shorter boat.

Your motor trim also has much the same effect if the motor is trimmed down too much to hold the bow down.

If your boat is heavily loaded in the front, this could amplify the problem.

Experiment a little the next time out with these trim ideas and let us know how it works out!

Joe.
Robbi

City/Region: Chambers Bay
C-Dory Year: 2023
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Photos: C-Run
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom, From one who also has a 19 with trim tabs, Joe is spot on, as usual.

Robbi

2003 C-Dory 19
sold 2019

2004 C-Dory 16 Cruiser
Sold 8/2015

2004 C-Dory 19 "C-Run"
Sold 8/2011

1989 C-Dory 16 Angler
Sold 2010
Jazzmanic

City/Region: Seattle
Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We installed Bennett M120 Trim Tabs on our boat. As Tyboo Mike (site co-administrator) has stated in other posts, it seems that the M120's were made for CD22's.

However, in addition to what others have stated above, I feel that the installation of a Permatrim fit our needs better than the trim tabs. I feel the Permatrim trims the bow up/down better and more responsively than the trim tabs, helps to get the boat on plane quicker and tracks better. Now, I only use the tt's mainly for lateral trim and use the Permatrim to raise and lower the bow.

If you're asking is the CD22 better with or without tt's, the answer is absolutely that the boat rides and handles better with Trim Tabs than without them, especially when going through chop.

Just my $.02

Peter
Rob & Karen

City/Region: Franklin
State or Province: TN
Vessel Name: Life of Riley
Photos: Life of Riley
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:26 pm    Post subject: Permatrim Reply with quote

Where can you buy a Permatrim? Can you buy direct from the manufacturer? Thanks.

Rob
Jimbo

City/Region: Maple Ridge
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 1981
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Vessel Name: Cheyenne
Photos: Cheyenne
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom;
Not sure what size of tabs you have, I know mine are oversized and that really adds to the sensitivity of them. As noted above I would suggest trying to get out on a calm day and play with them a bit. Try dumpimg them full on while you are planning and get to know how the boat reacts under various tab positions. I don't believe you can do any permanent damage to the boat,(other than throwing a body or 2 around when you go into a hard port or starboard turn!!) I think this will help to get you more comfortable with them. Sometimes on a good calm day all you need them for is to get up on a plane a bit faster, then pull them back and only use them for weight control.
just my thoughts, Jimbo
tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:53 pm    Post subject: Re: trim tabs, do I need them? Brand or model choice.. Reply with quote

breausaw wrote:
Ok, I changed the subject sense it seems the general consensus is trim tabs on a 22 do make a difference.
If I install trim tabs what model or brand is a good choice? I refuse to give good money to a boat shop for something I’m able to do on my own so ease of installation needs to be considered also. It’s going to be a long winter up here.

Jay

As I continue on my quest to buy a late model 22ft CD cruiser there is one option I’d like some feedback on, trim tabs.
Some of you seem to have gotten by without them and I’m wondering how much added advantage they truly have. My thoughts are with the narrow beam of the SD trim tabs would be a truly desirable option.
Are there disadvantages to having trim tabs or is it the expense?
I’ve looked for posts but unable to find one discussing trim tab pros and cons.

BTW, I’ve missed out on a couple of wonderfully outfitted boats; so now consider myself a seasoned buyer and won’t hesitate to pounce on the next suitable boat that comes along.. if the price it right.

Any feedback welcome,
Jay Reausaw
Anchorage Alaska

Bennett 9 X 12 is what I went with. I would have gone with
12X12's but that would have required moving my kicker. Be sure to get the 1" shorter upper mount for the actuators! That will make life Way easy when hooking up hyd. lines! With trim tabs it's a Whole New Boat Mr. Green Beer

Jazzmanic

City/Region: Seattle
Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:05 am    Post subject: Re: Permatrim Reply with quote

Rob & Karen wrote:
Where can you buy a Permatrim? Can you buy direct from the manufacturer? Thanks. Rob

Didn't mean to hijack the thread. There's lots of info on Permatrims in the forums. Do a search. Here is the link to the American distributor of Permatrims. Andy Jr. is the man you need to speak to.

Permatrim USA

Peter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trims Tabs, Hydrofoils All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: