The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Bottom Paint - TC255
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
matt_unique

City/Region: Boston
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Napoleon
Photos: Napoleon
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint Reply with quote

matt_unique wrote:
It's a good idea to check with local boaters to determine the best bottom paint for your area. I use Petit Unepoxy here in MA. I have used several types and this has been the best. I keep my boat on a mooring from April to November. Thankfully my new Tomcat has been painted with this paint. I find it lasts two seasons on the mooring. I also pull my boat a few times a season to powerwash the bottom.

$1700 is a lot....with a trailer or even stands you could save some serious money by doing it yourself. A lot of people don't like to paint though. I don't enjoy it but I save a ton of dough and I know it's done right.

At the end of my dive today I decided to do a good inspection of my hull (with scuba). Nothing crazy to report, I noticed a small ding in my fiberglass that I will repair when I pull it for the season, but the most interesting thing was the sweater on the rear of the hull! I did notice a 2kt reduction in cruise speed today compared to my usual speed for the particular power setting. I did not notice this reduction last weekend when I was out. Anyway this level of junk would certainly do it. Next Sunday I will plan a dedicated hull cleaning dive to get it back up to speed.

Former owner of Napoleon (Tomcat) Hull #65 w/Counter Rotating Suzuki 150's.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shucks I thought you were cleaning the hull each time you dove. When we were sailboat racing, the bottom got a good cleaning (and sometimes wet sanding with 1200) every week.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
mailbox101

City/Region: Pacifica
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Blue Eagle
Photos: Blue-Eagle
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was looking at TomCats, Bill at the Outboard Motor Shop in Oakland, CA stated that they have a TomCat trailer in order to work on the motors of customers that own a TomCat, but not the trailers. It might be worth inquiring of the C-Dory dealer in your area to see if they have a similar setup, and if so, perhaps you could work a deal for a time that they aren't using it. Best of luck.

David
matt_unique

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:04 am    Post subject: Cleaning Reply with quote

Ha ha - yeah well you would think with my diving I would be cleaning the hull more often! Yesterday was a wake up call to pay closer attention and give it a rub down more often.

I have my own trailer for the Tomcat but no convenient means of a high pressure wash-down for example. My last boat was small enough such that I could literally pull the whole thing into a self-service car wash and clean the hull several times a season. The top of my Tomcat measures 13' on the trailer so it will not fit into the car wash bay Wink

At the end of the season I will be renting a power wash from Home Depot to clean it off good at the house. Bob - I recall you said Marie did not appreciate what your power washing did for the lawn (he he) so I will learn from that lesson and do it at the end of the driveway.

It is amazing how much this junk affects performance. At 3400 rpm I get 22 knots and she was steady at 20 knots yesterday at the same rpm. I knew something was going on and voila. I was thinking of using a bunch of sponges...any other suggestions as to what I should use to clean her off? There are a few barnacles that will require something firm.

I use the boat every week, 815 nautical miles and 79 engine hours so far this season. I guess I did not notice a little 'foundation' growth then over the last week or so it just went nuts down there. Anyway - will be ship shape by the time I'm done next weekend.
thataway

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a 10 hp 2500 PSI gasoline driven power washer for the big jobs, but recently purchased a relitaively cheap electric 1700 PSI lower flow washer for the boat small jobs. We find that this will clean off the growth of the bottom--and with some soap, and turned down, it works fine on the decks of the boats. (I don't like the high power washers on the glass). We had used a 3500 PSI large volume washer at one of the haul out yards and it took the bottom paint off nicely!
matt_unique

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:15 pm    Post subject: Tools Reply with quote

What tools would you suggest for a cleaning of the hull via scuba? Perhaps a blunt plastic scraper to carefully remove anything stiff and a sponge for the rest?

I know a super high power washing can removing everything. I make sure to use a lower power to remove the sweater but keep the paint.

Thanks for the suggestions.
thataway

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use a green 3 m plastic scrub pad for the majority of bottom cleaning. If it is really bad we have used the coarser black pads. If there are barnicles, then a putty knife is a good tool.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: