The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Bottom Paint - TC255
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jaber

City/Region: Northwest
State or Province: WA
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:50 am    Post subject: Bottom Paint - TC255 Reply with quote

Like many others I am planning on keeping my TC255 in the water 24x7x365. In fact, I am not even going to get a trailer (as I really have no where to store it or way to tow it). Getting bottom paint on the first time from the factory is no problem; the question I have is how in the world do you apply bottom paint on a TC if you have no trailer? Most of the places I have called around to are unable to lift a Cat, rather by sling or fork. I have a sad feeling that I will be paying a pretty penny to have someone take it out and paint it every year or two...

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Chris
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drove my boat from Anacortes to La Conner and the folks at La Conner Maritime slung it out and put it on one of their stands to put the paint on.

Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris-

Most BIGGER boats (30 ft or more) have no trailer, since they coudln't be towed on the road by anything else but an 18 wheeler.

For bottom painting, they are hauled out of a special slip by a Travelift crane, set on jackstands, painted, then returned to the water.

I don't remember the cost per foot for the round trip.

There is also a cost per day for the boat to set in the yard.

If you hire a yard to do the work, they include the Travelift and yard fees in the paint job price.

I' guessing you could get the TC-255 re-painted for around $1000, give or take some based on the yard's location and type of paint. The catamaran type bottom may drive the price up some because of it's complexity.

The first time bottom paint job costs a lot more because of the cost of sanding the gel coat and applying several barrier coats of epoxy paint to prevent blisters.

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Alok

City/Region: League City
State or Province: TX
Photos: Top Cat
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TC 255 can absolutely be lifted with a sling.

Lots of stuff about bottom paint here:

http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=4595&highlight=tomcat+bottom+paint

drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slings and travel lifts have no problem lifting the TomCats... Maybe they are thinking sailboats? Mine goes in and out all the time on lifts. The trailer even has opening slots for the slings, and slings are how they get the TomCats on and off the semi trailers.

I do know some marinas using fork lifts don't want to lift TomCats.

John
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not only travel lifts, but I have seen fork lifts with straps which were capable of lifting a TC--Another option is to borrow a trailer--but it is much easier to do the bottom with the boat on stands/blocks--most hauls including moving the stands once--but since the cat sits on blocks without stands, you might get the yard to move the blocks. If not, you paint the area of the blocks while the boat is in the slings before it goes back into the water. Most bottom paints can be launched when the paint is not entirely dry.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
matt_unique

City/Region: Boston
State or Province: MA
Vessel Name: Napoleon
Photos: Napoleon
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:09 pm    Post subject: Paint Reply with quote

I was wondering how I might get the bottom edge of the Tomcat pontoons while on the trailer. With former boats I would use a jack and carefully distribute the load with 2/4's to 'just' lift the boat off one side to slide the brush under. Then repeat for the other side....

Any alternative suggestions for painting while on the trailer?

Thanks

Former owner of Napoleon (Tomcat) Hull #65 w/Counter Rotating Suzuki 150's.
jaber

City/Region: Northwest
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is great news, especially since I have been told numerous times that XXX marina would not lift a cat in their sling. Thanks for all the info! I am VERY glad to hear that it CAN go on a lift and get painted for a decent cost. The dealer is quoting around $1700 for it out of the factory, and I am glad to hear that I could have it done at a marina for less the second, third,...etc time. Anyone use any specific marina's in the NW that can do a lift and paint? Right now I am planning to dock it at Tyee for full time as it is a pretty good price, especially considering I live so close.

Another related question to you TC owners that keep it in the water all year - are you using Ablative or Hard Coat. Ablative sure seems to be the better option.

Thanks again!

Chris
Alok

City/Region: League City
State or Province: TX
Photos: Top Cat
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if you keep in the water all year, it will still have to come out of the water for servicing the motors. How do you plan to handle that?

If the boat is out of the water for more than a few days- which is likely if you are getting the service done by a shop- then ordinary bottom paints will lose their effectiveness. You need a paint that will remain active in spite of drying. Most of us use Micron CSC (see the thread mentioned in my earlier post).

Enjoy your boat! The Tomcat is a lot of fun.
matt_unique

City/Region: Boston
State or Province: MA
Vessel Name: Napoleon
Photos: Napoleon
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:32 pm    Post subject: Paint Reply with quote

It's a good idea to check with local boaters to determine the best bottom paint for your area. I use Petit Unepoxy here in MA. I have used several types and this has been the best. I keep my boat on a mooring from April to November. Thankfully my new Tomcat has been painted with this paint. I find it lasts two seasons on the mooring. I also pull my boat a few times a season to powerwash the bottom.

$1700 is a lot....with a trailer or even stands you could save some serious money by doing it yourself. A lot of people don't like to paint though. I don't enjoy it but I save a ton of dough and I know it's done right.
drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$1700 is incredibly low charge for bottom painting a TomCat 255 - especially if you consider it should include several epoxy undercoats after thoroughly cleaning the wax, etc., off the new hull. Here in the MidWest, bottom painting is very expensive and few marinas will do it due to the toxic chemical laws, employee liability, and other constraints. $2500 would be cheap here for an initial bottom paint job. I paid about $3,000 for mine if you include the travel lift, multiple blocking, etc..

I used to paint my own boats' bottoms in the Wichita area, but now they won't let you get a spot of bottom paint on the ground and are trying to restrict copper paints, etc.. My houseboat hulls I'd do just as Matt mentions, jack up one side and block the center and the high hull, then paint. The TomCat is probably strong enough just to support each sponson.

I think the factory does it less expensive because it is done before the hull is finished, so better access and they already have all the EPA rules and liability covered with the boat-building process.

I'd have the factory do it.

John
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are certainly a lot of variables from boat to boat, region to region, yard to yard, paint type to paint type. and local enviornmental laws.

When I first had the CD-22 bottom painted (y2k), the estimates ranged from $1100 to $1900 depending on the yard and the number of epoxy barrier coats.

Subsequent replacement of the bottom paint estimates ran from $400 to $700.

The Petit Trinidad paint on my Sea Ray costs $240 a gallon and is 75% copper by weight! Not every yard will even use it around here, either! Touched the boat up on the sides and bow last Spring with one quart that cost a little over $100 at WM (aka Winged Money).

Joe. Smile
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To answer Matt's question about painting the C Dory when on a trailer. I not put the boat all of the way on the trailer--and then put a 4 x 6 or so across under the aft end of both hulls--with two sets of cribbing and jacks. I use 6 x 6 timbers for cribbing, and stack them four square. (You can effectively do this by lowering the tongue and then jacking it up, taking the load on the 4 x 6 and cribbing, with out the jacks. There was a post, that the factory said it was OK to support the boat by the center bridge deck--so I would put blocking there, and slowly work the trailer out, as you would for any other boat. After the trailer is out--and the boat on blocks--then you can move the blocks to get those spots missed on the first go-around.

Anytime you move a boat off a trailer, it takes a lot of time and planning plus being sure that you will be safe with adequate blocking.
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaber: Congrats on your TC255. When should you take delivery...or did I miss that?

Look out if a price looks too good...it just might be. You have to school up a bit on the primers, and the final coatings. Good advice above about watching out for bottom paints that CAN NOT remain dry for long periods.

They pull your boat for regular maintenance, find something they need a part for, the wrong part comes in, they get the part,,,but find another something broke...it is a 3 day holiday and/or the brown, yellow & purple trucks are all runniing overtime, the yard closes because it is Thanksgiving...and soon, your boat has been high and dry for 2-3 weeks. That is boating. So, plan for Mr. Murphy and his friends.

The FIRST TIME the work is done is the very most important. It is like the foundation of a structure. No matter what goes on last, if what goes on first is improper, it will be screwed up for the life of the boat....unless, some poor soul stands around for days with sanders and chemicals and gets it back to the original bare boat...and starts over properly. Most yards charge about $60-$90 an hour. The primer and final bottom paint coatings themself will be rather spendy, if real good stuff that can be left out of the waters for extended time are used. drying times (weather if outdoors) can effect how long it takes. Extreme temps, bunch of rain... high humidity... Go slow here. Make good choices, ask questions of anyone who is going to do the work, go there during the process, look for the cans on site. Spend what it takes to get it right.

Good luck with your boat.

Byrdman

C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 sold again.. May 2020
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hu #14 - Bought her again - May16
Aloysius, Sold to Brother Mike Mar16
Aloysius, Hull # 440 RF-246
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 Sold May09
TC24, Hull #51, Sold Feb06
CD16A, Sold Dec03
Never Deny Yourself The Pleasure of Helping Others.
Trinity

City/Region: Edmonds
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: Trinity
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edmonds has a work yard across the street from the Port. Most people have their boat lifted out, taken to the work yard on the travel lift or fork lift, and either bottom paint their own boat or hire someone to do it. There are a couple of people who work out of Edmonds. We had our Ranger 25 done by someone at LUSR who did a great job at a reasonable price. PM us if you are interested in his name and number.

Nancy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: