The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Outboard lemon laws?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ripple

City/Region: Mill Valley
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Ripple
Photos: Ripple
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:40 am    Post subject: Outboard lemon laws? Reply with quote

Does anyone know if lemon laws exist for outboard motors? I have a 2006 Honda 90 that has kept my boat unusable and in the shop for over 2 months since I have had it (which is only since late march 2007). The carbs have been completely rebuilt twice, now it is back in for service because was not running correctly again. This time, Honda replaced all 4 carbs and they still can not get it to run correctly and I do not have the use of my boat.
Sad
It seems like at some point they should just cut their losses and give me a new motor, but that has not happened yet. Their policy is to "repair" and not replace when motors are repairable. Understandable, but this is getting ridiculous. And every time I get the boat back, the motor will run ok for a while and then it starts to crap out. I never feel safe and always wonder if the motor is going to just fail in a big sea...
Valkyrie

City/Region: Loudonville
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Valkyrie II
Photos: Valkyrie
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Lemon Laws that apply to cars also apply to outboards and, I believe, any number of mechanical devices. This knowledge comes from personal experience and the BOATUS legal/consumer department.

About twenty years ago, on a two year cruise on Spirit, my Jeanneau 23, I had major problems with a brand new Honda 8, the mechanical propulsion on my sailboat. The first six months it worked fine, but then repeatedly broke down, at times actually putting me in danger, including having the engine die as I approached the Bridge of Lions drawbridge in St. Augustine. I wound up with my mast against the bridge, carried there by the tide before I could deploy an anchor. Fortunately, a good Samaritan pulled me off.

After numerous attempts by Honda dealers to find the cause of the problem, which they could duplicate, I got fed up and called BOATUS, who went to bat for me. Their legal department contacted Honda, informed them that I had met the requirements of the Lemon Law and demanded a new engine for me, which I got.

I believe that getting Honda national customer relations office involved would be the next step before taking such action though. I don't know what the specific requirements of the Lemon Laws are, but contacting BOATUS would be a good place to start.

Nick
"Valkyrie"
ripple

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I sent an email to the Boat U.S. consumer protection department asking for advice. I am going to call Honda one more time before taking it any further.
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just read that there is a recall on the new honda's because fo a idle problem. have you checked this out? dont assume the dealer is up to date on recalls.
flapbreaker

City/Region: Hillsboro
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Playin' Hooky
Photos: Playin' Hooky
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

starcrafttom wrote:
I just read that there is a recall on the new honda's because fo a idle problem. have you checked this out? dont assume the dealer is up to date on recalls.

By saying "on the new ones" do you mean any new one or the new fuel injected model. The above poster has the carbed variety.
ripple

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I called Honda yesterday and talked to some lower level customer service type. She was able to access my file and they have a detailed record of every time it has been repaired, new parts installed, etc. I was told that the case manager was on the phone or something and would get back to me. I am still waiting for a call... Very frustrating.

Honda must be paying the hourly mechanic fees each time this motor is serviced. This last time, they completely re-built all 4 carbs, then replaced them, and the mechanic does still not know what is wrong with the engine. I am sure the sum of all the service hour fees is really high at this point.

It seems like at some point it would make more economic sense for them to just give me a new motor. Not to mention the poor public relations if they have unhappy customers. At this point, I would not reccommend Honda to anyone. If they do actually fix this engine reliably (which I have no confidence they will do) or give me a new motor, of course that opinion will change...
Dora~Jean

City/Region: Simi Valley
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Dora~Jean
Photos: Dora~Jean
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After each or all of the 'repairs' are the symptoms the same or changed? Sounds like they're still fishing for the real cause of the problem.
Corsair F-31 Trimaran 1996-2002
MacGregor 26X 1988-1996
Glaspar Seafair Sedan 18 (2)
StarCraft 19 & 22
Catalina 17 & 22
Crestliner 19
+4 Previous, 1/2 sail, 1/2 power
ripple

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The symptoms are similar after each "repair" but not exactly the same. One thing that is common though is that the engine will run fine for a while, then for no reason it starts behaving erratically. The most recent symptom was that it would shut down to idle from high speed for no reason. If I pulled the throttle back to neutral, I could keep it from stalling, then usually get it to keep running.

The fuel lines/tanks have been completely eliminated as a cause of the problem as it behaves exactly the same on a remote tank. The mechanic now said he can not get the boat to run above 4400 rpm after installing the new carbs, which is something that I never experienced before.

All this time they are messing around trying to determine what is wrong with it, I am paying for my boat and not able to use it!!
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it have an automatic choke system that could be activating erraticaly after initial warm-up?

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
ripple

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it is a manual choke. The mechanic did say he was able to get the rpm to rise for a second or two by activating the choke while trying to run it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: