The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Suzuki 115
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maltep

City/Region: greene
State or Province: RI
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:22 am    Post subject: Suzuki 115 Reply with quote

Hello everyone,
This is my first post and I would like to axe a question. I am looking at a used 2007 C Dory 22' cruiser and it has a Suzuki 115 with 100 hrs. I have been told by another dealer and a past Suzuki owner that they have had problems ( With the company ) having warranty work covered. Has anyone out there had these problems?
Thank you, Peter
westward

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Steady Eddy
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would honestly be more concerned about the engine's weight that potential warranty/service issues. I'm quite sure that engine, together with batteries, fuel and a possible kicker, will be way beyond the hull's design weight limit and the boat could perform sluggishly. A permatrim and trim tabs may be in your future. Good luck, Mike.
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got two 115's on my TC255. Had a 22 with twin Honda 45s on it. Two Honda engines at 212# weigh just about what the single 115 does at 427#. Now if you add a kicker, you're talking about more weight.

I love the Suzis so far!

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
Professional Hobbyist

City/Region: Redmond
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Last Frontier
Photos: Last Frontier
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 22 is rated/limited to 100 hp. When I insured my new 22 cruiser I was asked to verify the horse power used. If it had been over powered they would not have insured it. I don't know how folks are getting insurance after putting more power on than the hull plate indicates. Check with your agent before buying it.

From the C-Dory web site:

"Maximum power is 100 Hp. The recommended 70 Hp will push the boat with a 1000 Lb. load to 28 MPH Generally you will find 15 to 20 MPH to be most comfortable. The boat planes quickly (9-10 MPH) and without the bow rising high obstructing vision ahead."
RJD Wannabe

City/Region: Elk Grove
State or Province: CA
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, if over powered/weight, they will likely not cover an accident. I punched a hole in my outdrive a few years ago, the ins. co. checked it out real closely, but then paid 100%
Jazzmanic

Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was my understanding that the maxium hp rating was raised to 115hp beginning with the 2006 models. As for weight, we have the same engine, the DF90 is the detuned version. The boat is definitely not overweight in the stern, it handles great, plus we have trim tabs and a Permatrim. We love the Suzi DF90!

According to our old friend Red Fox, he subscribes to the theory that more weight in the stern is better for the semi-dory hull. Something about the fact that Suzi's have a lower gear ratio allowing it to turn bigger props...

Ask Seawolf Joe, he can better explain it. Confused

Peter

Email: pjamero@gmail.com
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jazzmanic wrote:
It was my understanding that the maxium hp rating was raised to 115hp beginning with the 2006 models.

Peter

You are correct. The max HP is now 115 HP.

Charlie
Professional Hobbyist

City/Region: Redmond
Vessel Name: Last Frontier
Photos: Last Frontier
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain's Cat wrote:
Jazzmanic wrote:
It was my understanding that the maxium hp rating was raised to 115hp beginning with the 2006 models.

Peter

You are correct. The max HP is now 115 HP.

Charlie

Where does that info come from? I'll check the hull plate on my 2008 22 Cruiser when it's back from the shop. I pointed my insurance company to the C-Dory website for proof of hp rating as I posted earlier. If the hp rating has been raised it isn't documented on the company’s website.

Here's C-Dory's new website:

http://www.c-dory.com/boats/cdory_22/description.html

"Maximum power is 100 Hp. The recommended 70 Hp will push the boat with a 1000 Lb. load to 28 MPH Generally you will find 15 to 20 MPH to be most comfortable. The boat planes quickly (9-10 MPH) and without the bow rising high obstructing vision ahead."

If you need to prove the hp rating is 115 for an insurance company, you'll need to photograph the hull plate since all the company info says 100 hp.
Ashley Lynn

City/Region: Panhandle
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: Ashley Lynn
Photos: Ashley Lynn
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have the Suzuki 115 which came rigged by the factory and I love it. We just hit 85 hours and I have nothing but good things to say about it so far.

My 2cents

Boating, where its ok to play with your dinghy!
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Suzuki 115 weighs 416 lbs, the more "standard" Honda 90hp weight is about 380 lbs. Two 40 hp Hondas (recommended by C Dory), weight 410 lbs! I do not believe that this few lb difference is consiquencial--and that you will actually see slightly better speeds with the Suzuki. Considering the performance characteristics of the CD 22 and the various amounts of weights put on the boats, I don't see this as a problem with batteries, kickers etc.

The capacity plates are only on boats less than 20 feet. Many manufacturers change the engine capacity of their boats. I would be interested in varified refusual of insurance claim, if a boat had 15 more hp than the manufacture suggested in its web site. I believe that we all know that there are many aspects of the C Dory web site which are out of date. There have been a number of boats delivered with 115 hp engines.

Generally the Suzuki engines have been extremely reliable in the last few years. In fact they have been some of the most trouble free engines. There are some of the 140 hp engines with hours in excess of 7,000!--pretty hard to beat, along with the larger props.

Yes, any C Dory will benefit from trim tabs (they seem to be standard) and Permatrims--but the boat would be anything but "sluggish" with a 115 Suzuki!

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Ashley Lynn

City/Region: Panhandle
Vessel Name: Ashley Lynn
Photos: Ashley Lynn
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We just got back home after a day on the water. And by coincidence..the water was nice, so we tried to see what the top end of the boat was at that current time.

With just the wife and I on board, tanks about 3/4 full each, about 15 gallons of water....fairly calm water coming across the bay and into one of the bayous...trim tabs manipulated to get the boat (with Suzuki 115) up to 28.9kts.

It felt like we were flying....compared to our normal leisurely cruising.
westward

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had the benefit of running the 22 hull with the original design power (Our 1991 cruiser w/Johnson 70 2-stroke) and modern power (2007 Angler w/Honda T-40's). The old hull felt more nimble and light, and the running attitude was much more level. Without trim tabs I could easily get the bow down for chop conditions. This despite the fact that the Angler handles transom weight better due to more forward center of hull weight. While I feel the Suzuki is a fine motor, the 90/115 versions, as well as most of the other 4 stroke singles or twins, are simply heavier than the hull was designed for. Notice the exaggerated bow rise in planing photos of 22's, including one on this thread, and you'll see what I mean. The stern just digs itself in like it was not designed to do. I personally desire backup power, and therefore included kicker weight in the overall transom weight when comparing power options. My owner's manual (for a cruiser) recommends you not exceed 500# total transom weight, including engines and batteries, or balance/handling can be adversely affected. Do the math and decide for yourself. My choices came down to an E-Tec 90 with kicker or the twin Hondas, virtually identical total weight. The new Honda 90 V-Tec was my second choice for a single. My wife and I love the new boat but don't like the bow-up planing attitude; I have twin Permatrims to install that I hope will improve the situation. by providing 2-3" total lift. BTW I get 32MPH moderately loaded with 12" props, and can get 30 with a very heavy load, running 80HP. Mike.
Jazzmanic

Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Westward,

If you're referring to the picture in my signature,
Westward wrote:
Notice the exaggerated bow rise in planing photos of 22's, including one on this thread, and you'll see what I mean.
I purposly trimmed the bow up for the photo op. Please do not mislead the C-Brats to think that the weight of the Suzuki 90 caused this "exagerated bow rise". It was all my doing. What the picture does show is the effect of having a Permatrim on the motor. It raises and lowers the bow with ease at a slight touch of the button. In this particular pic, I probably adjusted the trim to close to 3/4 on the gauge. Normally, I have the trim adjusted to about a quarter (or less) on the gauge, depending on the water conditions, to maintain the most efficient attitude for planing. You notice that although a bit foggy, the water was smooth and flat.
westward

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jazzmaniac: I honestly have no intent to mislead anyone, in fact quite the opposite. This thread started with a potential purchaser asking for advice on a boat rigged with a particular engine. What I've tried to communicate, based on personal experience and comparison, the opinions of Les Lampman and Jeff Messmer, and the C-Dory 22 owner's manual, is that the form factor of the Suzuki 90/115 is bigger than what the hull was designed for. My advice to the initial writer was to not worry about warranty/quality of that motor (I think it's a fine motor), but to take into account how much it weighs relative to the design of the hull, which was designed around the (275# I believe) Johnson 70. Maybe this purchaser has no need for a kicker, in which case his total transom weight would be roughly identical to mine...which is still too heavy in my opinion. That's why I remarked that trim tabs and a Permatrim might be in his future. You may disagree, as you have every right to do, but please don't read bad intent into what was nothing more than my desire to help a newbie, based on my own personal experience. Peace and happy boating! Mike
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is always interesting how these threads morph. The origional question was simply about the warantee and reliability of the Suzuki 115. The answer to that is that most of us have had no problems with our Suzuki's--and that the Suzuki's have one of the best--if not the best record of reliablity, with some outboards having over 7,000 hours. I wonder how the newest versions of the two strokes will last? Maybe they will be more durable than the previous. I personally have shyed away from the new two strokes because of this question.

There are also opinions about how boats perform. An angler used as a day boat, will be much lighter in general (and require less HP to perform adequately) than a cruiser loaded down for a months cruise. I have an underpowered 25 and it is no fun--I suspect that most of us who have owned 22's would not go back to 70's. In my experience, with a 90 Evinrude on a 22 cruiser, I could not get the bow down adequately without trim tabs--and my kicker weight was only 30 lbs. The extra battery was mounted in the cabin to keep weight foreward. Dories are more stable as you load them--a semi dory is a bit different boat--but it remains seaworthy and will also pick up stabliity as it is loaded. When you begin to plane a semi dory, then that is where the HP is needed. It is interesting that in almost all of the posts--30 mph is about the top speed. We found with our CD 22 that over 30 mph, the boat began to be less stable-- there is a limit of the hull form.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: