View previous topic :: View next topic  
matt_unique

City/Region: Boston
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Napoleon
Photos: Napoleon
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: Tomcat anchor Reply with quote

What do other Tomcat owners use for an anchor? I was thinking about the 22 pound Delta Fast-Set anchor. I anchor in mostly rocks or sand.

Thanks

Former owner of Napoleon (Tomcat) Hull #65 w/Counter Rotating Suzuki 150's.
Dreamer

City/Region: Really Sunny SaddleBrooke
State or Province: AZ
Photos: Dreamer
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt, That's exactly what we use for the mostly mud bottoms in the PNW. 50' of chain, 250' of 1/2" rode. You'll need to remove the top roller from the factory installed anchor bracket. I drilled out the bracket and use a 1/2" Pit pin to secure the anchor. The factory pin bent and was hard to remove. The anchor has never failed to set or hold.

Once a C-Brat, always a C-Brat

Dreamer- Sold 25 Feb. 2013
matt_unique

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:52 pm    Post subject: Anchor Reply with quote

Dreamer wrote:
... You'll need to remove the top roller from the factory installed anchor bracket. I drilled out the bracket and use a 1/2" Pit pin to secure the anchor. The factory pin bent and was hard to remove. The anchor has never failed to set or hold.

Thanks.
I did not follow the part about removing the top roller. Did you replace it with another roller?

--Matt
Sea Duck

City/Region: Homer
State or Province: AK
Vessel Name: Thumper
Photos: Sea Duck
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt: We're using a 25-lb, galvanized, Manson Supreme on Thumper. So far , after one season, I like it. It sets well and has good holding power. I ordered it from Azure Marine.

However, (and fortunately) we haven't been on the hook under real windy conditions.

drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt,

I have the Delta, recommended by C-Dory ppl at the time of my purchase. It came with the top "keeper" roller pin removed to allow the Delta to auto release. That led to problems anchoring in rough seas since the anchor line would jump up an out from between the anchor roller side guides. We would repeatedly have to climb out there in rough weather to replace the anchor line between the guide sides.

I finally got a "U" shaped, Stainless Steel fitting from West Marine. I think it is a 3 inch, but maybe 2.5 inch "boom vang" fitting, designed to be mounted on the underside of a sailboat boom. I had to spring compress it to fit between the side rollers and installed with , I think, 5/16 inch bolts and locking nuts.

Now the "elbow" of the Delta can flip up as the anchor deploys, but the line is always within the anchor roller control system. There is a picture on Tom-a-Hawk's TeraMiranda photo album, page 2, near the end. Here is a link:

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=Grand-Lake%2C-Oklahoma&id=100_0541&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php
Dreamer

City/Region: Really Sunny SaddleBrooke
State or Province: AZ
Photos: Dreamer
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt,

You can see in the photo where the top roller used to be.(empty holes) We have no problem with the rode coming out of place. If need be, you could reinstall the pin to hold the rode in place.
drjohn71a

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm.... amazing that your rode stays between those guides in rough seas...

Anyway, we also keep a bunch of those nylon zip tie straps and tie the anchor down for trailering or long voyages with little need for anchoring seen.

John
matt_unique

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:41 pm    Post subject: Anchor Reply with quote

Thanks for the info.

What length rode do you guys use? Do you think 275' of 1/2" line and 25' of 1/4" chain will fit and stow OK in the anchor locker?

--Matt
drjohn71a

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think someone from up in your area already said they use 50 ft chain and 250 foot rope. We are much shallower here, but out 30 foot chain and 200 rope worked well on our San Juans cruise. I just bought a factory pre-made chain and rode to be sure the junction would ride over the Gypsy OK.

John
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have the 22 lb Delta--an excellent all around anchor as the primary. I do almost exactly as "Dreamer" does, except I use a smaller pin. The anchor never jumps out of the roller--rode stays in place and all works well. I suspect that the initial roller was set up for a Bruce--but I prefer the Delta.

For most of us 200 to 250 feet of line is plenty. The windlass will take either 7/16 or 1/2". I use about 50 feet of chain, since I prefer to have the change engaged as I hoist the anchor off the bottom. You should be able to get 300 feet of 7/16" line in the locker and still have plenty of fall. If you want to anchor in deeper water occasionally, I would have a second line to tie on the end of the main rode. I secure the bitter end of the line with several passes of 1/4" line which can be fairly easily be undone. You have to make a tight splice (basically a back splice) onto the bitter end to secure this lighter line--and use a bowline so it can be detatched from the deck. You could splice in a 1/4" link or two of chain to pass the 1/4" line back and forth

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
matt_unique

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:15 am    Post subject: Line Reply with quote

Thanks for the info.

How do you secure the end of the line inside the storage locker?

Thanks

--Matt
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I'd not secure it to the hull in any way. I'd put markers in my line so I'd know how much line I had out and not go past a certain point. If you're uncomfortable with not securing it, put some sort of a breakable link in there in case it all runs out. I'd rather lose an anchor than pull out a bulkhead, boat bottom or the deck.

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
matt_unique

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:37 am    Post subject: Line Reply with quote

I recall there is a SS loop in the anchor locker to secure the end of the line. I was curious if most just used a knot (i.e. bowline) or something else. I would want the end secured in case I ran all the line out accidentally. If you ran to the end without securing it you would loose your anchor and rode of course. I would not purposely use the anchor locker loop to secure an anchor set of course.

I agree the length markers are a great idea as well.

Thanks for the replies.
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A different anchor that works well is the Bruce. We have one on the C-25, and it hasn't let us down yet, in winds up to 25 mph.

The Delta is a plow type anchor, and it plows in soft sand and mud. We found this out with a CQR. The Bruce digs in. Since we have mud in San Diego Bay and a sandy bottom around So Cal, we picked the Bruce. Haven't been disappointed. The Bruce also resets easily when the boat swings as the tide turns. Launches and retrieves well with the C-Dory bow roller.

The rode is 75" of chain, 200' of rope.

Nothing against the Delta, just a different view.

Boris
Almas Only

City/Region: Richmond
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Alma's Only
Photos: Alma's Only
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What to do with the bitter end of the rode? Although anything is a compromise, I ended up back splicing the bitter end to about 20 feet of chain, which sits loose in the bottom of the anchor locker. So, my ground tackle consists of the anchor, a shackle, a swivel, 20 feet of chain, 200 feet of three strand line, and, finally, another 20 feet of chain.

My concern was that I didn't want the bitter end attached to the boat, for fear that I would get carried away with the windlass, and end up either pulling the rode loose from the boat, and passing it right down into the drink, or damage the windlass with shock loading if the line somehow managed to hold fast to the boat.

Likewise, I didn't want leave the bitter end just loose, waiting for me to miss my count, feed everything through the windlass, and wonder why I wasn't getting much of a set.

Although I use markers in the line, they're tough to see at night. But, you can always tell whether you're passing chain, or line, over the windlass, since line sounds like a blender, but chain sounds like a freight train. So, if I'm deploying lots of rode, and hear that old train start coming at me, I still have time to take my finger off the switch. And, if I ever need to attach some extra line to the rode, ditch the ground tackle with a fender attached and recover it later, or just plain get free fast and worry about finding the tackle later, I can do so either from the deck, without having to climb back and forth between the deck and the v-berth, or from the helm station, depending.

Works for me.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Anchoring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: