thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not understand the concept of not securing the bitter end of the anchor rode for fear it will damage the boat! It is standard practice to secure the bitter end--to a strong point. Never heard of a boat being damaged by a properly secured bitter end of an anchor rode. You really don't want to allow all of the anchor rode to run out accidently--and 200 feet is not a lot of rode. With the lighter line, with several passes, you can undo this on the deck, and secure more line if necessary. The windlass never should be used as a point to secure a line or even as the "safety".
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
McDipple

City/Region: Portola Valley
State or Province: CA
Photos: McDipple TC255 (Name TBD)
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 9:42 pm    Post subject: Anchoring TomCat Reply with quote

I am finishing the specs on a TomCat order. On my present boat I use an E-Z Anchor Puller winch and it works very well. There is never a need to go forward to tend to it at all which looks like a major advantage on a TC.

Has anyone used this product or have an opinion?
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Anchoring TomCat Reply with quote

McDipple wrote:
I am finishing the specs on a TomCat order. On my present boat I use an E-Z Anchor Puller winch and it works very well. There is never a need to go forward to tend to it at all which looks like a major advantage on a TC.

McDipple-

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I had seen these E-Z Anchor Pullers on boats in photos taken in Alaska.

Someone then said they had a friend that had one on a 32 foot or so boat, and provided a photo of one.

IMHO, they are a great solution to not only the windlass problem, but also the rode storage problem. No more wet rode below in the bow of the boat. They also probably have a lesser tendency to foul the rode than a regular windlass with a locker below. However, these are only guesses, I have no personal experience with this product. The website says that there is no need to tie off the anchor rode while anchoring or while underway, that the puller will handle all loads without cleats or tying off. This is the only windlass system I've ever heard make this claim, and a real advantage (no going onto the bow, period)!

The cost is a bit higher than a regular windlass, the smallest model starting at $1700 plus rode, etc., but may be well worth it, especially for safety reasons if operating in dangerous waters.

They might be a bit large for some of our boats, but if any of the C-Dories could handle one, the TomCat 255 would be it.

Here's a LINK for anyone interested to follow up on.

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Anchoring TomCat Reply with quote

McDipple wrote:

If you do install one on your TC255, I would be very interested in a field report and photos, because it sounds like something that would work well for me also.

Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
matt_unique

City/Region: Boston
State or Province: MA
Vessel Name: Napoleon
Photos: Napoleon
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 10:09 am    Post subject: Nice Reply with quote

Nice looking anchor rig! As with other Tomcat owners I removed the top roller and it works like a charm. I have a 300' rode that stows in my anchor locker.

Also - when I first got the boat there was some water in the port forward sponson. I suspected it came in through the hawsepipe and somehow made it's way down. I applied epoxy paste at the intersection of the anchor locker wall to port inside the drain hole and it has not leaked a drop since. While I was there I did the same to all the anchor drain holes inside and out.

Former owner of Napoleon (Tomcat) Hull #65 w/Counter Rotating Suzuki 150's.
McDipple

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will post when I decide. I have built a cardboard full-scale model of it to see how it fits on one at the dealer next week (it's a 2 hour round trip) and how it appears which is important to the boss. For me beauty is as beauty does; I thing A-10s are gorgeous!

I have one on my MaxCat and it is terrific but that's a much bigger boat. Too big for the elderly me which is why we're getting a TomCat. We won't be getting the actual boat until July or so.
Doryman

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McDipple wrote:
For me beauty is as beauty does

Violent agreement here! Mr. Green

Warren
McDipple

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took some photos of my ugly cardboard mockup and put them in my album, I think.

This boat was at the dealer and as you can see already had a Lewmar windlass and cleat.
boscoj

City/Region: South San Francisco
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Knoty Lady
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 12:23 am    Post subject: This is one of the pictures of the mockup Reply with quote

This is one of the pictures of the mockup, the rest are in his photo album

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album724&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

thataway

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question: How do you secure the anchor rode when the anchor is deployed? I notice that the reel windlass has a capacity of 300 to 500 lbs pull--what are the implications of leaving the load of an anchored boat on the reel?

Finally, are you buying the boat which already has the windlass in place? What back up plate will you use, and how is the access to that plate?

I agree that this reel type of windlass is a very handy device when you are anchoring frequently.
McDipple

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The winch itself is the "cleat" that secures the anchor rode to the boat. The reduction gear is a worm drive and so the reel cannot be turned by pulling on the rode. The pull mentioned is that which can be exerted on the rode by the motor but you always use the engine(s) to ease the boat forward when weighing anchor.

There is no windlass on the boat I am buying so this would be a new installation and there will be a backing plate under the foredeck to distribute the load. It should be a lot stronger than the cleat aft of the normal windlass. Access is through the forward lockers. They recommend 3/4 ply as backup but I may use a heavy plastic board.

I like that there is no wet rode inside the hull. no hole through the foredeck and the singlehanded ease of use, always from the helm.

I am still hoping that the experts here can point out some snags before I take delivery of the boat in late June, I think. I grant that it is not beautiful!
thataway

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason I asked about the backing plate, is that I wonder, with the size of this windlass, if the plate call all be foreward of the bulkhead?

I have always used aluminum plate to back up windlasses--plywood is also satisfactory, if used with large fender washers. I am not sure I would use "Plastic".

The use of the reel windlass, and no foreward cleat will not allow you to use snubbers--and this may not be important to you.

I personally would not trust my boat to a worm gear, without a solid cleat. Yes, I understand worm gears. But they have been known to fail.
McDipple

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:27 pm    Post subject: EZ puller Reply with quote

I have talked with Ramsey Winch to check on the strength of the worm gear assembly following your good point and the unit used has a max operating load of 8,000 lbs (without a brake) so I am not too worried now about doing without the cleat.

We should get the hull mid-July and I'll do the fitting out then so by end of August I should have some experience.
Doryman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did not know it was a Ramsey -- they are very highly regarded among the 4-wheeling crowd. If I put a winch on my Dodge it would likely be a Ramsey. So to me, that is an additional (big) point in favor of the EZ Anchor Puller.

Warren
Ancora Latina

City/Region: Florianopolis - Brasil
State or Province: AL
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although it is not a TOMCAT, you could be interested to see this ground tackle installation: Bow roller , windlass , cleats on a new Malcom Tennant designed Catamaran:

See:
http://picasaweb.google.com/mtdufour/DominoBowRollerTest?feat=directlink#
And
http://dominocatamaran.blogspot.com/2009/01/bow-roller.html

Joćo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Anchoring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: