The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Questions regarding windshield wiper replacement...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain's Cat wrote:
Joe, about 3 posts up, Jack in Alaska said:

"Both AFI wiper motors on my 24 yr. old 22' CD are original and work just fine.......so far; knock on wood. I use them a lot too.
When the boat was new I moved the port motor to the center window and put the hand operated one on the port. It gives my wife something to do and worry about in rough weather."

Haven't looked to see if he has pictures or not.

Charlie

Charlie-

I realized at the time that Jack has a "Classic" 22, not the more recent (1987 and later) model, so he has a different arrangement above and below his windows. I think the interfering electronics shelf above was introduced with the new models in 1987, as was the dash tray below. The roof line and hood/brow of the earlier model are a little different, too.

I tried to add a center electric wiper to my '87 Cruiser, putting the motor between the windows on the post between them on the inside. It was very difficult to get the sweep right with the geometry necessitated. I finally gave up and installed a manual wiper instead left over when I added the electrics to Port & Starboard.

Should have called Jim and Pat's Wiper Swiper Service and had Pat come down on a service call with his Penumatic Impact Wrench and Lug Levitator Machine.

Joe. Teeth

Here's a photo of Jack's boat showing all the wipers coming out from below:

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous

Last edited by Sea Wolf on Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:37 am; edited 2 times in total
Dora~Jean

City/Region: Simi Valley
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Dora~Jean
Photos: Dora~Jean
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be me with the 3rd wiper (center), probably others have it too, at least on the CD25. I also added 2 more switches to the passenger side to control the port and center wipers (only the captain has control of all 3! Wink ) No problem raising/lowering the center window, wiper just goes up/down with it.

Corsair F-31 Trimaran 1996-2002
MacGregor 26X 1988-1996
Glaspar Seafair Sedan 18 (2)
StarCraft 19 & 22
Catalina 17 & 22
Crestliner 19
+4 Previous, 1/2 sail, 1/2 power
Jack in Alaska

City/Region: Anchorage/Ninilchik
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 26 Pro Angler
Vessel Name: HIGH TIDE II
Photos: HIGH TIDE II
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To solve the dry salty windows and wiper problem I installed a manually operated windshield washer system. Works great.

also...........it snowed in anchorage last night. Time for me, the wife and those "gaggle of geeses" to get the hell out of dodge for the winter.
That also solves my lawn mowing problem. now everybodies lawn look the same.

HIGH TIDE-II; 2005 26' ProAngler; 2003 200 Honda / 2009 9.9 Honda high thrust
No. CD026021I405; AK-5008-AK
MSSI No. 338143486(cancelled)

HIGH TIDE; 1983 Angler Classic 22'; 90 Honda/ 9.9 Tohatsu-sold 2009 to son Dan (flatfishfool)
Stolen & stripped in Aug. 18
Bare hull & trailer sold in Nov.
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack in Alaska wrote:
To solve the dry salty windows and wiper problem I installed a manually operated windshield washer system. Works great.
also...........it snowed in anchorage last night. Time for me, the wife and those "gaggle of geeses" to get the hell out of dodge for the winter.
That also solves my lawn mowing problem. now everybodies lawn look the same.

Hi Jack (don't say that in the security line at the airport),

We also have a manual washer: a squeeze bottle with water and a bit of vinegar... really cuts through the dried salt nicely. Wink

drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it may be worth, I have an old Freeport Marine Catalog which shows several wiper motors, arms, and about all the blades you'd need. I don't know if they're still in business, but if so should be a good source.

John
JamesTXSD

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One heck of a thunderstorm rolling through here right now - lots of lightning, heavy downpour. The local on the Weather Channel is calling for potential for waterspouts and flooding in low-lying areas (everywhere around here is low-lying Wink ). I suggested to Joan that this would be a great time to go out and test our new windshield wiper in some real-world heavy conditions.

I won't be posting any bleached-butt photos until the bite marks heal. Embarrased
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bringing this one back to life. If you didn't read the first 6 pages you should. It is great for the amusement of (or amazement) in getting a simple job done the hard way.

Of course it is simple only because I have not started yet.

On the way back from the Friday Harbor CBGT and with a VIP consultant and friend aboard, his quick thinking (Thanks Will), saved my back side from burning up something I probably didn't want to burn up, when my wiper did this:

Quote from Jim:
"And Jeff, no the fuse wasn't the cause of our problem... some crazy SOB cut the wiper motor out of the boat so it HAD to be replaced!!! Twisted Evil Nahhhhh, just kidding... it was completely non-functional. It made a nasty grinding noise and quit in mid-stroke. I opened up the old motor (mostly to make sure I had the new one set right) and the transmission in it was froze; couldn't get it to turn with DC on it."

Looks like I may get to be familiar with the AFI website
http://www.marinco.com/en/products/wiper-systems/wiper-motors

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Salmon Fisher

City/Region: Arlington
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Kim Christine
Photos: Kim Christine
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So here is a link to how Boris on Journey On replaced his.
I followed his instructions and did the same last Fall.

http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=23007

The Ongaro motor is the one I did and recommend for a few reasons.
1) Seems more well built than AFI Marinco
2) You can access transmission settings after you install in boat. The other one, AFI, access plate is on the side that is against the boat so you have to take motor off to get to it, grrrrrr.

Just my two cents worth.

2004 25 Cruiser-Present

2000 22 Cruiser 2009-2014 (Sold)
2006 25 Cruiser 2014-2019 (Sold)
1985 22 Classic -2019 (Sold)
1991 19 Arima Sea Ranger-2019-2021 (Sold)
2015 27 Ranger Tug-2019-2023 (Sold)
1987 22 Cruiser -2021-2023 (Sold)

Honey, this REALLY will be my last boat, honest!
hardee

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marinco/AFI tech support says that it may not be easy to remove Shocked

Also the 3000 modle has adjustable sweep from the inside without having to remove the motor to do the adjustment.

The catalog page link is here:
http://www.delzer.com/powerproducts/MAR_CAT_003/63/#zoom=z

The wiper motors are together so page left or right for the correct one. I have not gotten that far yet.

Also, I am working on an 05 22 Cruiser, Boris and Jim were on 25s. My motor is at the bottom of the window, theirs were at the top.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

hardee

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally gave up for the night. NO Joy on the removal. Went to town, found the removal tool, but no hole in the wiper spline cap, so......

I tried using the tool with a wrench atached and then tapping (fairly vigorously) from under the wrench, working like a dent puller, but is still did not move.

I need 2 questions answered.
1. What model of AFI motor is used in the 2005 CD 22 Cruiser?
2. Does that model have the set screws in place? I cannot see them, or anywhere they would/could be.

After tapping for a considerable time, (and I'm afraid I may be doing damage to the fiberglass), and using half a can of PB Blaster penetrating oil, I still have a non-parking port wiper that needs replacing, and cutting it off does not look like a very easy operation either as my wipers are mounted at the bottom of the window.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Salmon Fisher

City/Region: Arlington
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Kim Christine
Photos: Kim Christine
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad to see the access to the transmission for sweep adjustment is on the front of the unit. The ones I took off my 2006 25 were on the back/bulkhead side.
I had to learn how to make adjustments to the Ongaro unit after I bolted above the window so it was really important to have that access.
You might like the Ongaro, I think it will fit on the bottom windshield of the 22.
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Harvey beat me to bringing this thread back to life! And it seems I am not the first to come up with the best solution (hint: it is NOT buying yet another pair of electric wipers)!

We have had four, count 'em four, electric wiper motors fail. Well, it seems Wild Blue Jim beat me, I think he had six fail if I counted correctly, but whatever.

Catman (aka Brock Arnold) has a gorgeous 2017 Venture 23. While taking the tour, I noticed he had manual wipers rather than electric wipers, which are exactly the same as we have on our CD-16. I called Greg Little, C-Dory production manager, who told me the brand and part number, although I see now that I could have searched here and found the same information! Greg also told me they would fit great in the holes for the electric wipers. Anyway, I ordered a pair from Amazon yesterday and they arrived today. Yesterday I also removed the electric wipers, which as those who have done it can attest, is NOT easy. All I will say about that is that Wild Blue's 2007 thread was very instructive and bolt cutters were involved!

Anyway, today we installed the manual wipers. Now, I know I may occasionally miss the electric wipers, but heck, we did the entire Great Loop, 5,428 miles, through rain and thunderstorms, without ANY windshield wipers, so I figure manual wipers will be MILES ahead of no wipers, and I am pretty sure they are NOT going to fail!

Dead wiper motors:

New manual wiper handle on helm side:

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

hardee

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat, "bolt cutters", I'd say you got off darn lucky (or easy). I had to enlist help from a friend. A hacksaw was going to take me another week. A chain saw and jack hammer had it done ---- oh that was only a sawzall Shocked Oh well, it finally got the job done.

Those Marinco folks, that make AFI. They do a great job of making stuff that sticks together, and they con't make kits for taking them apart. Bummer.

And, they are proud of their products, for sure, but I won't go without electric wipers, any more than I would want to go without my auto pilot. For single handing, that just adds up to way to much exercise when maybe I don't have that much time.

Half done. Parts are ordered, delivery Tuesday, and then the other half of the fun begins.

OH, AND BTW, THE WIPER MOTOR REMOVAL IN THIS THREAD IS PRIMARILY FOR 25's. No little set screws on the 22 version.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

JamesTXSD

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat, I’ve told you a million times to not exaggerate! Wink I only replaced a wiper motor 3 times while we had Wild Blue. There were plenty of times, when the weather/wind/waves were crap that I needed two hands for the helm, and glad to have those electric wipers.

I think it would be a good idea to have a pair of bolt cutters onboard. Used to carry a pair on our sailboats, but didn’t consider that it could be handy on a power cruiser.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: