The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Questions regarding windshield wiper replacement...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No sweat Joe....It's just like money!

I'm starting on my second million.... Rolling Eyes

because.............wait for it

The first one was too hard! Crook

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:46 pm    Post subject: Just when you though it was a done deal... Reply with quote

This is not for the faint of heart or those sensitive to man’s inhumanity to himself. If you think you may fall into either of those categories, do not read further.

My day started out pretty darn nice... I was up early and it was a beautiful morning: clear, reasonably cool (73º - the coolest we’ve seen since we came home). I took Wild Blue out solo; didn’t bring a camera, so you’ll have to trust me that it was one of the prettiest mornings on the water in a long time. The tide was high, the water flat, the dolphins were frisky, the pelicans were diving, birds flying and skimming the water - just a wonderful time to be out on the water. I cruised out into the Gulf and ran a mile or so offshore along South Padre Island (32’ of depth at that distance); there was about a three foot swell with a very long period - you almost had to stop the boat to feel any movement in the water.

I stopped at Dirty Al’s (bait shop and restaurant), but they are closed for the next few days; breakfast would have to wait until I came back in. Up the ship channel, I put the autopilot on and stood in front of the open center window, cruising at about 5 knots (and burning just under 1 gallon per hour). Truly beautiful.

Back at our dock, I tied off Wild Blue. Joan came out and said, “I’m just about to take muffins out of the oven.” Good timing.

The wiper arm came in today. Just before we were heading to a movie. We haven’t been to a show in months, and Joan wanted to see The Heartbreak Kid. I remember the original with Charles Grodin and Cybil Sheppard... should be fun.

OK, the movie isn’t going to win any Oscars, but it was entertaining and the popcorn was good. I couldn’t wait to get home and finish the wiper project. Out on the bow of the boat, I discovered that there are infinite adjustments to the wiper arm... and no instructions (of course). I spent the better part of a half hour messing with it and then got ready to mount it on the boat. All went well ‘till I had Joan turn on the wiper - according to the internet instructions for the motor, I had it set to park to the right... it didn’t “park” at all and swung to the left.

Frankly, I figured I’d have to mess with it to get it right. I pulled like crazy and couldn’t get the arm off. Arrrrgggggggghhhhhhh!!!! I put on some heavy leather gloves to get more traction and pulled for another 15 minutes or so before it finally came off. I remounted it further to the right and had Joan turn it on again... it swung through about a 30º arc. I really, really hate this. Of course, we were back into the hottest part of the day... we decided to take the damn thing back off, open the motor back up (inside the house where it’s cool) and try yet again to reset it for parking and degrees of swing. With everything disconnected on the outside of the boat, I went back inside to unhook the wiper motor wiring. And heard a “splash”.

Yep, the new wiper arm went into the water. I really can’t tell you how much I hate this. We dug and poked into the murky water with boat poles... no joy. Friends of ours were going by and had to come see what we were up to. They ran back to their house to get a rake and a big net. Still no joy. I could see what I was going to have to do.

We have owned here for 9 years. During that time I have never gotten into the water in the canals. I have seen the skank that makes its way in and out of these canals: (in no particular order of disgustingness) cigarette butts, used diapers, tampons, condoms. I gritted my teeth and got into my wetsuit and hard-sole booties. I really hate this. To add injury to the insult, the bottom is full of razor-sharp oyster shells. I climbed down the swim ladder on the boat and swam around to the side. Right at the dock, I could stand; I felt in the muck and oysters with my foot. Nothing but muck and oysters. I pulled my mask on, took a breath, and went down to the bottom, feeling my way around. On the 7th time down - paydirt! I handed the muddy wiper arm to Joan and swam back to the swim step of the boat. I stripped out of the wetsuit and hosed myself off on the dock. I really hate this. I hosed the muck off the wiper arm and my gloves and booties. At this point, all I wanted to do was go inside and take a very long, very hot shower.

This was day three of messing with this wiper motor replacement. I will go after it again in the morning. Yes, there are some things better left to professionals... sure wish I had a dealer within 1,000 miles.... then, he could hate doing this stuff, but at least get paid for it.

Tomorrow, I plan to open the motor up again, reset it again, fit the arm onto it in the house and wire it up to a 12v battery to make sure it is set right. When I know it is, I’ll mark the spot on the motor shaft and then go do it all again on the boat. Well, that’s the plan. Disgust

I keep hearing Forrest Gump's words in my head... "Stupid is as stupid does." Crook

Captains Cat

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jim, wanna help me install my AC? Rolling Eyes

No I didn't think so. Good luck, sounds like you need it! Wish some of us were close enough to help, or at least come help you with the "blue streak" words! Disgust

Charlie
JamesTXSD

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Charlie. This is one of those things that looks straightforward from the outside, but...

Regarding the "blue streak" words - yes, I was a bit rusty beforehand, but I'm totally up to speed now. Wink

On the bright side, when the time comes to replace another wiper, I'll have a better idea for what I'm up against. Replacing the motor itself is really no big deal... it's just all the other stuff (like: two set screws that you can't see when they're up under that eyebrow, and an arm that won't just "pop off", and a klutzy installer).

This replacement motor doesn't "park". Trying to figure out where the arm should mount is a VERY labor/time consuming process. Angry

Best wishes,
Jim B.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim-

Does the new motor have the same number of electrical connections as the old?

If I remember correctly, the motor is wired always on Hot (+), and there are two ground wires going back to the switch, one for continuous operation and the other one for the "Park" circuit. (Although I've seen at least two different types of wiper motor circuitries.)

Good Luck, we've got our fingers crossed for you and will be waiting for the afternoon report!

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, uncle! You win! You have clearly surpassed my sad little lug nut saga! Hey, when I retire, how about you and I starting up a mechanical repair business together?

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

JamesTXSD

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, three connections. The original motor (now defunct) parked normally. Before it quit completely, it quit "parking". This new motor seems to be starting that way. I'll try reversing the two power wires to see if that makes any difference - thanks for the suggestion!

Since there was no wiring diagram with the motor, I wrote down what wire went where as I unhooked them.

Best wishes,
Jim
JamesTXSD

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat Anderson wrote:
OK, uncle! You win! You have clearly surpassed my sad little lug nut saga! Hey, when I retire, how about you and I starting up a mechanical repair business together?

As long as we charge BY THE HOUR and not the job! The sailboat dealer I bought our Corsair from used to quote every service job at "8 hours"... he said, "It doesn't matter what the job is; something you don't expect will crop up and eat up the time." I used to laugh about that. Crook

Best wishes,
Jim

PS - First you have to retire. Wink
JamesTXSD

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried switching the wiring - it doesn't run at all with the wires switched. Still doesn't "park". I double checked that it is wired the same as the motor that came out - yep.

What a pain in the butt.
Captains Cat

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Al and Myrna say in their signature---

".....and remember, if the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Sure hope you're good looking Jim!! Laughing

I think we all feel your pain!

Charlie
Grumpy

City/Region: Whidbey Is
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Kingfisher II
Photos: Kingfisher
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim,
You and Pat could have a program on NPR called "Boat Talk" Laughing

Merv

PS. Someone just turend off the sun up here so we need you to start our cabin fever prevention program early this year!!

PPS Just noticed that WDFW just opened the Oak Harbor area for Coho. special ruling. Go to web site. Get boat in water...........

Merv
JamesTXSD

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done! I set the sweep to 110º (instead of 80). Only two more tries to get the proper alignment of the arm. The "park" function doesn't work. Sad But, that quit after a couple months on the first motor... I really hope this doesn't mean I'll only see a couple months on this replacement. Shocked

I appreciate everyone's suggestions - especially Bob (from the Lois H) who sent several PMs with more suggestions. AND, is sending a couple replacement arms that he had (they may be in my Post Office as we speak... er, read and write). Very gracious of him.

Now to clean up the tools, myself, and go out for a boat ride! Mr. Green

Oh, and I'm now up to December 22nd - a long way to go to catch up with Charlie!

Best wishes,
Jim B.
Ron on Meander

City/Region: Powell River
State or Province: BC
Vessel Name: Meander
Photos: Meander
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The "park" function doesn't work. But, that quit after a couple months on the first motor... I really hope this doesn't mean I'll only see a couple months on this replacement.

Jim,
The park function works by having an "always on" electrial connection to the motor. It is why there is three wire connectons to the motor. In my case when I took my motor out to find out why it was so noisy, I managed to blow the fuse for the "always on" wire. If your boat is wired like mine, there is a fuse panel near the tangled mound of wires that is behind the dash area in the V-berth. This is a panel filled with automotive type fuses without any labeling. (at least in my case) I managed to find the wire that runs to the motor and low and behold the five amp (i think) fuse, that provides the power for the park function was blown. Replaced the fuse and park worked just fine. Check it out. There is not much chance you can drop the fuse overboard so you shouldn't have to dive for it anyway. Laughing
Good luck
Ron
Jeff Brigner

State or Province: TN
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: C-Pearl
Photos: C-Pearl
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:53 pm    Post subject: fuse Reply with quote

wow....I wonder if that was what was wrong with the wiper motor and the old one didn't need replaced....
Just kidding Jim. You would never tell us if that was the case would you?
JamesTXSD

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron on Meander wrote:

Jim,
The park function works by having an "always on" electrial connection to the motor. It is why there is three wire connectons to the motor. In my case when I took my motor out to find out why it was so noisy, I managed to blow the fuse for the "always on" wire. If your boat is wired like mine, there is a fuse panel near the tangled mound of wires that is behind the dash area in the V-berth. This is a panel filled with automotive type fuses without any labeling. (at least in my case) I managed to find the wire that runs to the motor and low and behold the five amp (i think) fuse, that provides the power for the park function was blown. Replaced the fuse and park worked just fine. Check it out. There is not much chance you can drop the fuse overboard so you shouldn't have to dive for it anyway. Laughing
Good luck
Ron

Hi Ron,

Joan says I own you a drink! Very Happy Yep, that fuse was the problem for parking the wiper - it works just like it's supposed to now. Thank you SO much. I saw the fuse on the wiring diagram, but assumed that if it was just for the power. That'll teach me.

And Jeff, no the fuse wasn't the cause of our problem... some crazy SOB cut the wiper motor out of the boat so it HAD to be replaced!!! Twisted Evil Nahhhhh, just kidding... it was completely non-functional. It made a nasty grinding noise and quit in mid-stroke. I opened up the old motor (mostly to make sure I had the new one set right) and the transmission in it was froze; couldn't get it to turn with DC on it. I've bared by soul (and other stuff Cool ) to you folks... I'd have no problem telling y'all what a screw up I am... if I were, of course.

Really, changing out the motor should not be such an ordeal - the biggest problem (besides having to dive for the replacement arm) was getting the old arm off the motor shaft.

I heard once that "sailors have bad memories"... they get the snot beat out of them in nasty conditions and then go back out there again for more the next week. Wink I guess I still qualify - now that all this work is done, I love boats, I love wipers. Love OK, I'd still rather be funnin' with 'em instead of working on 'em.

But - it's done. It's really, really done. Thanks again, C-Brat buddies, for getting us through this. Thumbs Up

Best wishes,
Jim
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: