The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Questions regarding windshield wiper replacement...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamesTXSD wrote:
I told her that Mike lets me be a smart-ass here.

That's the real reason I chickened out on meeting you two at B'ham. I always get blamed.

Actually, if your hands weren't so cut up from the previous attempts you probably have the thing sufficiently loose to not even need the screwdriver. The key is to push the wiper side on while pulling off the other side. Just pulling the wiper back away from the window doesn't relieve the tension between the hub and the shaft. It's counterintuitive (try that word on Joan). It is one of those things that you work at for a long time, give up three times, and the fourth time it just comes off and you have no idea what you did.

JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joan understands all those big words, Mike. In fact, she helps me with them when I'm reading the comics. <Insert your favorite Forrest Gump quote here>

I'll try the "push me, pull you" technique in the morning, but if that doesn't work I'm going with the explosives. Wink I'm going out there at first light with a claw hammer, a pry bar, water pump pliers, a stack of silver dollars, a grinder and some C-4.

Dora~Jean

City/Region: Simi Valley
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Dora~Jean
Photos: Dora~Jean
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel your pain Jim. I have yet to get either of mine removed, wanted to replace the o-ring under the washer that seals the shaft area from outside water. Gave up after about an hour and a half (times a couple of different sessions) -- you have much more patience than I, but you know, I believe I feel a burst of energy coming to go and attack it again this weekend perhaps. Been over a year since the last session...keep us posted.

Oh, and I'm not sure mine are attached in the same way, but several more years of corrosion to deal with. Mad

Corsair F-31 Trimaran 1996-2002
MacGregor 26X 1988-1996
Glaspar Seafair Sedan 18 (2)
StarCraft 19 & 22
Catalina 17 & 22
Crestliner 19
+4 Previous, 1/2 sail, 1/2 power
oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim - if you have a Dremel with a cutting blade or small grinder, cut the cap just down to the shaft, then use a screwdriver to open it up. As long as you don’t cut too far, the shaft should be OK.
________
Dave
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Jim has said the motor is toast and therefore the shaft is expendable.

Read Mike's procedural description:

Quote:
Tyboo wrote:

Taking both set screws all the way out makes sure the point of one is not in a groove or depession on the shaft (actually best to throw one of them in the drink). Tape a block of wood or a stack of silver dollars located so that it will serve as a fulcrum for your big screwdriver precisely 180º ± 1º from the business side of the wiper arm. While gently prying the bugger out with the screwdriver take your unwounded hand and pivot the wiper away from the window while - you ready for this?? - shoving the wiper side of the bugger ON. When the thing pops off you will probably fall in the water, but you'll be so damn happy you won't care. If it doesn't come off, well, what do I know anyway? Probably very little, but sometimes you get lucky!

And then look at this:

Now imagine the tool placed over the top of the wiper arm cap with the "hook" reaching down on the side opposite the arm extension.

Pushing down on the tool would lift one side and press down on the other, just like Mike's directions.

If I remember right (hard at 65), there's a little clip under one side of the piece that fits over the knurled knob on the shaft that holds the arm on. The clip is opposite the arm extension. The little "hook" on the tool pulls the clip back to clear the underside of the knurled knob and frees the arm's body to slide off.

Alternately, if the clip explanation is in error, it may just be that the tool and Mike's procedures provide a straight up lift that is impossible to get by simply prying on one side or the other of the wiper arm base.

Of course, whether it will simply slide off may well depend on how much it's corroded. The shaft may well have to be cut off, anyway!

Don't forget that there are actually several different types of wiper arm attachment mechanisms, and the clip system is just one. Others have exposed nuts on the end of the shaft, or a big tightening machine screw that squeezes down on a collar around the knurled nut or shaft, etc.

This AFI Marine wiper arm has an additional set screw under the arm's base cover to provide additional security.

Here's one you can't just pry off!

Here are some of the special tools available for windshield wiper arm removal.

J.C. Whitney also has some of these (or knock-offs of them) available for cheap.

Under Jim's situation and current mind set, a nasty cut-off tool might be expedicious. Might be good practice for Joan in case she ever has to saw some wise-ass guy out of a Latin American jail in the future (!)

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I guess the real problem is releasing the spring tension, IF the problem were corrosion, salt, etc., binding, you could try heating it with a BarBQue lighter and even a cold spray after that. Most rusted things will let go when heated... but, there goes the "O"ring!

I'm just going to sit back and wait for my "elders" to solve this one.

John
JamesTXSD

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AHA!!!! I started working on it around 7:00 this morning - before the sun was pounding on the canal. Burned up a perfectly good Dremel!! Angry Then spent two hours with a hack saw. <no smiley face for: damn, my arm is tired!> Yes, I have the hacksaw Joe illustrated - most racing sailors carry one like that in case of a dismasting and you have to cut shrouds. This was WAY worse than that. That shaft must be made out of some space age material, 'cause it was the toughest thing I've ever cut. Disgust

And then, when the arm was off and I could put it in a vice, the end of the shaft STILL wouldn't come out. There is no additional screw holding it on. Two dissimilar metals, I suppose.

I don't have any good advice for anyone who has to take on this task, other than be sure to put grease on the end of the shaft before you put the wiper arm on.

I am sure we had a crappy wiper motor right off the bat - it made a grinding noise and was sluggish compared to the port side. I should have said something about it at the time, but I really didn't know any better (that 20/20 hindsight). If there is any information on the installation or an expanded view of the wiper arm anywhere on the net, I couldn't find it.

The wipers are necessary on this boat... I spent some time with my arm out the window with a squeegee on our last outing.

C-Dory did supply the wiper motor (and the water pump discussed earlier) as warranty items, I supplied the labor. They got off easy on this deal. Rolling Eyes Having said that, I am grateful for the factory's support for this owner (who is probably the second furthest from a dealer - the guy in Hawaii has to be the furthest Wink ) and thankful to my C-Brat buddies who provided advice and encouragement.

Some folks like to tinker with their boats... I am not one of those. We stay on top of maintenence items, but I'd rather be running the boat than messing with it (one of the reasons we bought a new boat). On a frustration scale of 1 to 10, this seemingly little task was a 12. I have close to 10 hours in those two simple replacements.

On the bright side, I didn't sacrifice anything else to Neptune; my hands will heal, and another wiper arm is on the way. On the not-so-bright side, I hate boats, I hate windshield wipers, and it is too early to have my one drink per day, so I'm going to go take a shower. Yeah, I'm kidding... who needs a shower, it isn't even Saturday!

Best wishes,
Jim B.
DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim, so sorry I'm chiming in so late on this discussion as I was off line for 24 hours and after wading through 158 posts on this site, I've finally been able to peruse this thread.
After much deliberation, I'm certain I could have solved your problem way in advance with "RAIN X" ....."screw" the "electrical" conveniences in life... Disgust

C-Brat #16
JamesTXSD

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave,

I use Rain-X inside and out on the windows. It certainly lets the wipers do a better job... but it doesn't replace the wipers.

Say, doesn't Sea Shift have ELECTRIC starters on those pretty white Johnsons??? Wink
DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamesTXSD wrote:

Say, doesn't Sea Shift have ELECTRIC starters on those pretty white Johnsons??? Wink

Yep, I do allow electricity to flow into my life, sometimes defibrillation is a great thing! Keeps the heart of the boat beating. Smile

P.S. I do have electric wipers as well, I just hope I don't have to go through all the pain and discomfort that you've had to deal with during this project. Hope you have more time for "umbrella drinks", while we continue to suffer with all of the rain that we are currently experiencing!
JamesTXSD

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveS wrote:
... Hope you have more time for "umbrella drinks", while we continue to suffer with all of the rain that we are currently experiencing!

Sunny and warm here, Dave... the only reason for the windshield wipers these days is from the spray. Plenty of that with the waves, though. Joan doesn't put umbrellas in our drinks, but sometimes she uses the Magic Bullet to mix up frosty adult treats. Very Happy That Magic Bullet is electric, too! Wink

Stay dry.

Best wishes,
Jim
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have more than that on one stupid lug nut, counting the trips to NAPA and finally Les Schwab!

JamesTXSD wrote:
I have close to 10 hours in those two simple replacements.

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamesTXSD wrote:
it is too early to have my one drink per day

Best wishes,
Jim B.

Jim, as long as you only have one a day, it's never too early Laughing

That's what I do....currently I'm working on my drink for August 15th, 2012! Shocked

Glad you got the wipers fixed. I'm gonna take a look at my 2006 TC, I suspect I've got the same thing.

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
JamesTXSD

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain's Cat wrote:
...Jim, as long as you only have one a day, it's never too early Laughing

That's what I do....currently I'm working on my drink for August 15th, 2012! Shocked

...Charlie

Now, that's funny! Laughing

I'm not too good at this drinking stuff... I didn't take it up until I started boating!
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duh............ Crook

Do ya think I can start on my allocation of one a day for my next reincarnation? Cocktail? Cocktail? Cocktail?

Joe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: