The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Questions regarding windshield wiper replacement...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, just came back in and saw there are several new posts... TWO set screws, huh? No wonder the damn thing won't come off with ONE set screw undone!!

I let the WD-40 work and went after the house water pump. It, too, is dead. It took me a couple hours to get the old, dead one out. I finally said, "Hell with it, and cut the rubber feet off from the body of the pump. I mounted the new pump upright (instead of on the floor of the bilge Crook ). It took some fussing with new hose and then the new pump leaked. More fussing. More leaking. I found an o-ring with a small deformation, changed that out, and no leak! Wired it up and it works fine. I mounted some non-skid under and behind the pump, so it is much quieter, too. And every screw, hose clamp, and the filter are all easily accessible if it needs to be changed out some time in the future (should last a lot longer since it won't be sitting IN the water... the old pump was rusted and the motor was shot).

And then back to the wiper arm... I've been pulling like an old mule and the damn thing won't come off. Fortunately, it's 90º with 350% humidity... but it only feels like 150º and 400% humidity out on the bow. It's normally breezy here... not today. Tomorrow morning I'll go back out and see if I can find that second set screw.

I really appreciate all your help here, folks. This place is an amazing resource. I called the factory, left a message, but didn't hear back. I had suggestions here within minutes. Very Happy

Joan wasn't sitting around while I was out in the sun practicing some swear words that I hadn't used in a while... she made a Sunbrella container for our camperback. Kinda like a duffle bag. She bought some Sunbrella to match, and it looks great. Prior to that, she went over each piece of the camperback, cleaned the eisenglass, put silicone on the zippers and snaps, and repaired a couple places where the stitching had come apart. I've been rolling the camperback up with old sheets inbetween to protect the eisenglass... Joan cut up old blankets and rolled it the stack around a cut off swimming noodle - it makes a nice tight roll.

Once we get the wiper done, the trailer needs some attention, a couple "projects" for the boat, and Wild Blue will be better than new. Not bad for all the use she's seen this year.

Thanks again for the help!

Best wishes,
Jim B.

Last edited by JamesTXSD on Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
K7MXE

City/Region: Eatonville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: R-21 EC Tug
Vessel Name: Lois H
Photos: Lois H
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:41 pm    Post subject: Notes on wipers Reply with quote

I got pretty good at working on them as changed locations on my little
tug. Two setscrews for sure and as I remember metric. You should get
the proper one with the motor. Make sure the motor is set up for the
correct sweep and you may have to take apart the new one and compare
with the old one so the sweep is correct and the park is correct. The
AFI unit will have instructions and if they don't it is online. I wiggled mine
with water pump plyers and came right off but had salt residue in them.
I think the instructions says something about taking them apart and re
new grease but we are not going to do that till it fails right!
Bob Heselberg near Eatonville wa
JamesTXSD

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, this is big fun! Yep, there's a second set screw... it makes the cutest little "plink" sound as it goes into the water. Disgust Oh well, with that out of the way, I'll just tug that ol' wiper arm right off.

Grunt.

GRUNT!

I have dug at it with a big screwdriver (using the lock-nut for leverage). I have 54 new gouges in my hand... shaped like the slot end of a big screwdriver. Shooting pain down my neck and shoulders from all the pulling. That damn thing isn't coming off for nuthin'! Mad

More swearing, 14 cans of WD-40, more gouges. Joan came down to the dock and said, "Let me try." This almost always results in the deed getting done and me being humiliated. Not this time. She gave up after only a half hour or so of tugging.

The wiper blade looks like an old coat hanger, every knuckle and finger is bleeding, I'm sweating like a farm animal, and that wiper arm STILL hasn't budged a bit!!!! Angry

I'm going to check around to see if I can find any C-4 explosives! A few more hours of this crap and I'm going to re-think my response to the thread about the C-Dory vs the Telstar trimaran... no windshield, no need for changing out wiper motors!!!!

Any ideas, friends?

Thanks in advance.

Jim B.
tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamesTXSD wrote:
Well, this is big fun! Yep, there's a second set screw... it makes the cutest little "plink" sound as it goes into the water. Disgust Oh well, with that out of the way, I'll just tug that ol' wiper arm right off.

Grunt.

GRUNT!

I have dug at it with a big screwdriver (using the lock-nut for leverage). I have 54 new gouges in my hand... shaped like the slot end of a big screwdriver. Shooting pain down my neck and shoulders from all the pulling. That damn thing isn't coming off for nuthin'! Mad

More swearing, 14 cans of WD-40, more gouges. Joan came down to the dock and said, "Let me try." This almost always results in the deed getting done and me being humiliated. Not this time. She gave up after only a half hour or so of tugging.

The wiper blade looks like an old coat hanger, every knuckle and finger is bleeding, I'm sweating like a farm animal, and that wiper arm STILL hasn't budged a bit!!!! Angry

I'm going to check around to see if I can find any C-4 explosives! A few more hours of this crap and I'm going to re-think my response to the thread about the C-Dory vs the Telstar trimaran... no windshield, no need for changing out wiper motors!!!!

Any ideas, friends?

Thanks in advance.
Jim B.

Get out the end grinder & cutoff wheel. Chances are you will need a new arm & Wiper arm before you are done! Mr. Green Beer
Ron on Meander

City/Region: Powell River
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Meander
Photos: Meander
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim,
On mine it seemed to be the tension that the spring loaded wiper arm was putting on the spline was causing it to bind. It was really neccesary to get all the pressure off the arm before trying to pull the end off the splined shaft. I did the big screw driver pry thingee for about an hour before I managed to get it to work. If not, you may have to get a puller that has a sliding hammer on the shaft so you can pull evenly rather than pry with the screw driver. Another thought, I'm not near my boat, but could you undo the locking nut enough to put pressure on the arm end. If the threads go high enough by backing off the nut it may press the wiper arm off the splines. I can't remember for sure how far the thread go up.
Ron
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clearly, Jim, what you need is some Alaskan women or children...

JamesTXSD wrote:

Any ideas, friends?

Thanks in advance.

Jim B.

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim-

Sorry to hear of your problems with the @*%$+!!! swindow-swiper system!!!

Too bad there's not enough room to use a slide-hammer puller on the culprit!

Best suggestion so far has been to just cut the shaft off with a cut-off wheel and replace the montor and arm, since they're both toast, anyway!

If you don't have an electric or pheumatic cut off wheel on a die grinder or Dremel tool, they make a hacksaw frame that has the distance between the blade and the bascking arm shallow to fit into tight places.

They are listed here, but the equivalent also availeable in many hardware stores.

Stanley's version: (below, of course)

For now, why not enjoy a sundowner and take up the battle tomorrow?

Keep us informed!

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
JamesTXSD

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sea Wolf wrote:
Jim-

Sorry to hear of your problems with the @*%$+!!! swindow-swiper system!!!

...For now, why not enjoy a sundowner and take up the battle tomorrow?

Keep us informed!

Joe.

Great advice, Joe. Joan was ready with an adult beverage when I came back in. I'll try again tomorrow... early, before the sun is on that side of the house.

Pat, I can guarantee that if the tough Blonde German woman can't yank that wiper arm right off, it ain't coming! Thus, my previous post about me generally being humiliated. She's one tough babe.

Ron, those threads have enough of a gap that I can get the nut above them. That is also on my list of "try this" in the morning - with me on the outside and the Blonde inside the boat.

tsturm, before cutting I think I'll go with the explosives. Wink I like my Dremel, but I have visions of "Opps! Fiberglass repair!" Rolling Eyes

Frustrating isn't it, when something pretty straightforward like this turns out to take so much time? I'm guessing it will look better in the cooler morning light - thanks again y'all for your help on this!

Best wishes,
Jim
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamesTXSD wrote:

<stuff clipped>
Frustrating isn't it, when something pretty straightforward like this turns out to take so much time? <more clipped>

Yes it is but it's time like those when you can sometimes understand why "simple, little jobs" cost so damn much when done by a professional. Think of how much you would have to charge for this job if you were paying yourself at a reasonable hourly rate! And Joan's half hour of labor must be worth twice as much as the same amount of time from you (after all she is, by your own admission, stronger)! Wink

Jeff Brigner

State or Province: TN
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: C-Pearl
Photos: C-Pearl
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:02 pm    Post subject: wiper motor Reply with quote

Marc at Wefings. I hope your reading this thread and taking notes. I will for sure bring my boat to you when this snake brakes Laughing
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taking both set screws all the way out makes sure the point of one is not in a groove or depession on the shaft (actually best to throw one of them in the drink). Tape a block of wood or a stack of silver dollars located so that it will serve as a fulcrum for your big screwdriver precisely 180º ± 1º from the business side of the wiper arm. While gently prying the bugger out with the screwdriver take your unwounded hand and pivot the wiper away from the window while - you ready for this?? - shoving the wiper side of the bugger ON. When the thing pops off you will probably fall in the water, but you'll be so damn happy you won't care. If it doesn't come off, well, what do I know anyway?
JamesTXSD

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TyBoo wrote:
Taking both set screws all the way out makes sure the point of one is not in a groove or depession on the shaft (actually best to throw one of them in the drink). Tape a block of wood or a stack of silver dollars located so that it will serve as a fulcrum for your big screwdriver precisely 180º ± 1º from the business side of the wiper arm. While gently prying the bugger out with the screwdriver take your unwounded hand and pivot the wiper away from the window while - you ready for this?? - shoving the wiper side of the bugger ON. When the thing pops off you will probably fall in the water, but you'll be so damn happy you won't care. If it doesn't come off, well, what do I know anyway?

Swell... I followed all those instructions right up to the stack of silver dollars. I'm retired, remember? Can I use a stack of nickels? Wink I'm really not looking forward to the "falling in" part.

Haven't heard from you in a while, Mike. I was beginning to think you took your royality checks from this place and ran off to the tropics. Cool

I have something to discuss with you... this whole "be nice" thing. Joan has been reading the site lately (can't imagine she'd ever post, but she does frequently surprise me) and tonight she said, "If you can 'be nice' on the C-Brats, you should just 'be nice' at home." This discussion came up while we were talking about "compromise"... and I said something along the lines of "Why is it when a couple talks about compromise, it means the guy should do everything the way the woman wants?" After mending the bite marks in my butt, I told her that Mike lets me be a smart-ass here. She will be calling you to check on this. Can you and the others here vouch for me? Mr. Green

Best wishes,
Jim
rogerbum

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can vouch for the fact that you are (sometimes) a smart ass. The only problem is - I thought that was MY job. Wink

Oops - this just in - my wife informs me that I must have misheard my assignment - it was "dumb ass" not "smart ass".
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, puts me in a philosophical mood - "If a man speaks in the forest and there is no woman there to hear him, is he still wrong?"
rogerbum

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat Anderson wrote:
Yes, puts me in a philosophical mood - "If a man speaks in the forest and there is no woman there to hear him, is he still wrong?"

And the corollary - "If a woman speaks in the woods and there's no man there to hear her, is she still complaining about him?"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: