The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

TomCat Engine Question
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am thinking that your manner of use would have a greater effect upon the carbon footprint than the choice of engine. Technology advancement in efficiency renders very efficient designs in all the major players of outboard manufacture.

As Dr. Bob has mentioned elsewhere, you generally are going to burn a certain gallonage of gas per horsepower per speed per boat shape, period. The larger displacement Suzuki 150's might give you very slightly less efficient low load economy, but the Honda 135-150 VTechs might give you slightly less efficiency at high loads. As above and as in many autos, your manner of piloting would have greater carbon footprint impact than buying a different brand name of similar sized (HP) engine.

When I was looking at Mercuries they were quite a bit heavier than either the Suzuki or Honda 150s, and that is a big deal on the aft end of a TomCat.

John
tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YAMAHA Smile I have had Mercury & Honda. Yamaha first, if not available Honda. A cam chain & assorted guides, tensioners etc will wear lots faster & require more maintenance, that is why most have gone to Belts! Mr. Green Beer
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tsturm wrote:
YAMAHA Smile I have had Mercury & Honda. Yamaha first, if not available Honda. A cam chain & assorted guides, tensioners etc will wear lots faster & require more maintenance, that is why most have gone to Belts! Mr. Green Beer

Tim, Ah -- another Yamaha owner! We are definitely in the minority, for some reason. I wanted Hondas but the Tom Cat dealer (Master Marine) made me a good deal on Yamahas, plus they don't stock them (could have gotten them, though.) So I decided to try them. Have been quite happy with them.

I have a question about your experience with these engines. I have two 150s and I know you have a 100, but maybe there is some commonality. What I have discovered is that if I run my engines over about 4000 RPM for a sustained period the temperature gauge goes up a couple of notches. On my Yamaha Command Link gauges, under sub-4000 operation, the temperature indicator is lined up with the pointers for oil and battery (I think that is what they are.) Running at faster speeds moves the temp indicator to about half-way between middle and maximum.

Do you see the same thing or does your motor remain at midpoint regardless of the RPM? Would be interested what the Honda and Suzuiki owners experiences are also.

Thanks,
Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lori Ann wrote:
tsturm wrote:

Tim, Ah -- another Yamaha owner! We are definitely in the minority, for some reason. I wanted Hondas but the Tom Cat dealer (Master Marine) made me a good deal on Yamahas, plus they don't stock them (could have gotten them, though.) So I decided to try them. Have been quite happy with them.

I have a question about your experience with these engines. I have two 150s and I know you have a 100, but maybe there is some commonality. What I have discovered is that if I run my engines over about 4000 RPM for a sustained period the temperature gauge goes up a couple of notches. On my Yamaha Command Link gauges, under sub-4000 operation, the temperature indicator is lined up with the pointers for oil and battery (I think that is what they are.) Running at faster speeds moves the temp indicator to about half-way between middle and maximum.

Do you see the same thing or does your motor remain at midpoint regardless of the RPM? Would be interested what the Honda and Suzuiki owners experiences are also.

Thanks,
Warren

Heat definatly increases with load / RPM, but in my case 27 to 50deg water I hardly notice. Mr. Green One thing I did notice switching from Honda to Yamaha is the Yamaha is one notch better / faster warming up during the winter (less carb icing) Wink
This may have been addressed with FI in the newer yrs. Also the Yamaha F 100 (99) is far more corrision resistant than the 98, 90hp Honda. Maybe they fixed that too!! Mr. Green Beer
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: