Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bshillam

City/Region: Bellingham
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1981
Vessel Name: Heaven To Me
Photos: My Heaven
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:21 pm    Post subject: Carpet sources? Reply with quote

Anyone have a good source for marine grade carpet by web? I haven't had time to look at Home Depot or Lowes but would consider ordering by web/mail. Thanks!
marvin4239

City/Region: Jacksonville Florida/Wilmington NC
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-FLE II
Photos: C-FLE II
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just looked at some Marine Grade carpet at Lowes. They claimed it was marine grade anyway it had a rubber backing. It was in six foot widths and I think about $4.50 a running foot but it only came in black. I wound up buying some regular grade I liked better. It was just a little over $20 for enough to do the cabin. At that price when it gets worn or dirty I figure I'll just replace it.
timflan

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Two Lucky Fish +1
Photos: Two Lucky Fish
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The floor in my 22 cruiser is 26" wide, or so. Lots of carpet runners are 26" wide. Has anyone used off-the-shelf runners in either 5-foot or 6-foot lengths in their 22 cruiser? How about cut-to-length runners?
Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim, I used an off the shelf runner on the "Jenny B" but I had to trim the binding off one side and one end to get it exact. Also had to trim around the water foot pump. It really isn't noticeable once down and with that "rubberized" like backing it doesn't move a bit.

Got it at Home Despot.

Don
marvin4239

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't mention but thats what I got at Lowes. It's 26 inches wide by 6 foot. They sell some binding tape to put on the cut ends thats a sticky back stuff. Don't know how it will hold up. With the 26 inch width I didn't have to trim anything. It doesn't have a rubber back. Funny this subject came up because I just finished putting mine in.
jstates

City/Region: SHELTON
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Endurance
Photos: Endurance
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:14 pm    Post subject: Carpet vs grid tile Reply with quote

I remember seeing one CBrat Album where they used the blue lock together grid tile inside on the floor instead of carpet. .

I am about to replace carpet - plan to use the boat all winter in S Puget Sound -with usually one overnight per week - I am in and out of the cockpit often - and wonder if the blue grid tile [not sure of the correct name] would be an advantage for frequent mostly wet all winter use. I usually leave shoes at door and use inside sandal for winter to keep most of carpet dryer. Suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

Jim
Endurance
marvin4239

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:01 am    Post subject: Re: Carpet vs grid tile Reply with quote

[quote="jstates"]I remember seeing one CBrat Album where they used the blue lock together grid tile inside on the floor instead of carpet. .

I think you are talking about Dri-Deck. I had it in my 16. It was okay but I didn't find it that comfortable on bare feet. It shifted around a lot. You can order it directly from the factory by goggling Dri-Deck.
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought an outdoor mat at Costco for 20 bucks that was 6' x 10' I believe. Green to match the boat (well, close enough for colorblind guys) with a rubber backing. It was enough to cut out a fitted runner for the cabin and cover as much of the cockpit floor as I wanted with enough left over for a mat on the cabin step. This is the second full year for it. I throw it on the dock to hose it off, and I even stuck the cabin chunk in the washer once. I figured I would get a new one every year, but it is good to go for a third one.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dri-Deck is one brand of the lock-together plastic grid mesh and Deck-Mate is the other brand. There's nearly identical. Both work well, and cost about $5.00 per square foot unit (a few years back, anyway). The edging and corner pieces are more expensive.

They're good in cool climates, but squish around quite a bit when warmed above 90 degrees or so.

There also uncomfortable on bare feet, although they are used a lot in locker rooms and around pools to provide non-slip footing.

I used red indoor/outdoor carpeting on my cockpit and then overlaid it with the royal blue Dri-Deck. This looks great, provides some give under the mesh, making it much more comfortable, and when it gets hot, I just splash the carpet with water and the evaporation keeps the Dri-Deck cool enough to be firm.

The only down side is the Dri-Deck has to be taken up periodically to vacuum the carpet, as washing it down with a hose only removes so much the the particulate junk that falls down between the little mesh squares.

Dri-Deck flooring:

Dri-Deck Source

Misty on the Dri-Deck/carpet cockpit floor. (Cooler blocks view of floor to the rear.)

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
snal

City/Region: Asheville
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 1994
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Thelma Lou
Photos: Thelma Lou
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TyBoo wrote:
I bought an outdoor mat at Costco for 20 bucks that was 6' x 10' I believe. Green to match the boat (well, close enough for colorblind guys) with a rubber backing. It was enough to cut out a fitted runner for the cabin and cover as much of the cockpit floor as I wanted with enough left over for a mat on the cabin step. This is the second full year for it. I throw it on the dock to hose it off, and I even stuck the cabin chunk in the washer once. I figured I would get a new one every year, but it is good to go for a third one.

This is what came in our boat, fitted by the previous owner. It doesn't slip at all, and lays nice ant flat.

Currently looking for a steal of a deal on a 25' "Thelma Lou II"
Swee Pea

City/Region: Bath
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Swee Pea
Photos: Swee Pea
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I bought Swee Pea from Cutter, they had a carpeted runner in the cabin. Was an off the roll type from Lowe's, thicker pile. Just don't get it wet. You can buy indoor outdoor carpet, still in a runner roll, from Lowes or Home Depot. Very inexpensive. It has a hard rubber back. It is not very thick, but is easy on the feet and if it gets wet, hang it out to dry. You cut it, and it does not fray, so no need to bind the edges. If it gets dirty, scrub it or toss it for a new piece. Comes in colors. I got dark green to match my interior. One of those under $20 fix up.

John
Swee Pea
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sea Wolf wrote:

I used red indoor/outdoor carpeting on my cockpit and then overlaid it with the royal blue Dri-Deck. This looks great, provides some give under the mesh, making it much more comfortable, and when it gets hot, I just splash the carpet with water and the evaporation keeps the Dri-Deck cool enough to be firm.

Joe.

I did just the opposite on Captain's Choice. Used Dri-Deck on the cockpit deck and put indoor/outdoor over the top. Soft on the feets and the carpet dried out quickly because air could circulate under it.

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, we always used off-the-shelf runners (from Wally World as I recall) in our CD22, worked great. The aisle in the CD25 is an odd shape, wide at the aft and narrowing forward, so we have to cut our carpet out for it. Here is Oscar (RIP) impersonating a naked rat on our CD22 carpet runner.

timflan wrote:
The floor in my 22 cruiser is 26" wide, or so. Lots of carpet runners are 26" wide. Has anyone used off-the-shelf runners in either 5-foot or 6-foot lengths in their 22 cruiser? How about cut-to-length runners?

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Last edited by Pat Anderson on Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:01 am; edited 1 time in total
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain's Cat wrote:
Sea Wolf wrote:

Joe.

I did just the opposite on Captain's Choice. Used Dri-Deck on the cockpit deck and put indoor/outdoor over the top. Soft on the feets and the carpet dried out quickly because air could circulate under it.

Charlie

I did the same for awhile on my 22 in the cabin. However, I've given up on carpet on the inside. I fish a lot from the boat and even with the dri-deck underneath, the carpet gets pretty wet from repeated in and out trips - especially on rainy days. Add in a little (or a lot) of fish slime in the cockpit and even with regular drying and washing out, the carpet gets stinky fast. There's a lot to be said for a simple fiberglass floor.

dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carpet on a C-Dory? I didn't think that was allowed!

"...we're all in the same boat..."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cabin, Interior All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: