The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Permatrim---thumbs up or thumbs down?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trims Tabs, Hydrofoils
View previous topic :: View next topic  
seabeagle

City/Region: Farmington Hills
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Beagle II - Sold 4-19-12
Photos: Sea Beagle II
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumbs down. Thumbs Down
I've had one on my CD16 cruiser for 4 months now and could have gotten the same results from a $35 plastic hydrofoil. Did not help at all with cavitation. Plus, under certain wave conditions, small slow rolls of wake from odd angles, the boat can be violently thrown sideways. Must be the way that it holds the water. Prior to that, I would have bounced across the wake. Now, hang on tight, you could get knocked out. I guess the core problem of my cavitation is the near flat bottom and the prop being too close to the surface. My old boats were serious bottom feeders and never had ride issues.
I still love my CD though. Wink

http://www.youtube.com/SeaBeagleII
Steve Grover

City/Region: Lake Tahoe
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Vessel Name: Tee Ten
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do believe you may have another problem Rolling Eyes
seabeagle

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope its not the captain. Gave up the bottle 14 years ago. Shocked
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may be correct that the small fins will work well on smaller boats. I have used te Dolfins on 12 to 14 foot RIB's very effectively. But the cavitation is a bit puzzling? Did you have cavitation before putting the Permatrim on? The mounting height of the engine is critical--both with and without the Permatrim. I have found the Permatrim to be more for putting the bow down and avoiding the pounding, plus getting the stern up faster, than dealing with problems of cavitation. Cavitation is due to other issues--such as prop size, blade types, clearance of the lower unit, and motor height--as well as the boat's bottom and water flow.

My personal experience with even the smaller fins, is that they improve handling in the situations you describe--but again--I have not owned a 16.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may be correct that the small fins will work well on smaller boats. I have used te Dolfins on 12 to 14 foot RIB's very effectively. But the cavitation is a bit puzzling? Did you have cavitation before putting the Permatrim on? The mounting height of the engine is critical--both with and without the Permatrim. I have found the Permatrim to be more for putting the bow down and avoiding the pounding, plus getting the stern up faster, than dealing with problems of cavitation. Cavitation is due to other issues--such as prop size, blade types, clearance of the lower unit, and motor height--as well as the boat's bottom and water flow.

My personal experience with even the smaller fins, is that they improve handling in the situations you describe--but again--I have not owned a 16.
seabeagle

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:

My current prop is a 3 blade 11.1 x 13. The previous one was a 3 blade 11.6 x 11.
As far as the motor height it is mounted as low as it can be. You can kind of see it in the picture.

http://www.c-brats.com/albums/album768/New_Name_8.sized.jpg

Also, when comparing the level bottom of the boat to the level of the cavitation plate, the plate is about 1 inch lower. To the best of my knowledge, that is the longest shaft available.
If the water is like glass, no problems. I have cavitation in as little as 3 inch ripples at 13 mph. This can vary due to wind direction, wave direction, or balance of the boat.
Spike38

City/Region: Punta Gorda
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In following this thread I noted earlier posts mentioning improved maneuverability at slow speeds and even with way on in neutral. I'm just getting used to outboard power (again, after too many years to want to think about), am consistently non-plussed by my inability to steer at very slow speeds, being used to sailboats. Just curious as to whether a concensus exists on the degree to which Permatrims really help in this regard. If a lot they might be worth the price of admission. (I've got trim tabs so presume they wouldn't add a lot in the trim department.)
marvin4239

City/Region: Jacksonville Florida/Wilmington NC
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-FLE II
Photos: C-FLE II
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spike38 on the subject of contolling trim with the permatrim verses the trim tabs for me the permatrim is far superior in that it's much easier to use and the trim is altered much quicker. I use my trim tabs to control side trim. As far as added control at low speeds I do believe the permatrim helps in this department also.
Rob & Karen

City/Region: Franklin
State or Province: TN
Vessel Name: Life of Riley
Photos: Life of Riley
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started with Lenco 12x12 tabs. After asking lots of questions and working up the courage to drill 10 holes in my motor, I finally bought and installed a permatrim. I have been very happy with it.

The following is a quote from Les Lampman. He posted this in response to my question about having both trim tabs and a permatrim. This helped move me towards ordering the permatrim.

"I don't see it as being an "either or" situation at all. I'd rather have both options than none and only the tabs if I get one choice but for the price I'd definitely have both."

Rob
drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spike,

The permatrims definitely allow better steering while gliding thru the water with no power. Like you, I had sailed for years and really felt lost with so little control while gliding/drifting without power on a power boat. Even the TomCat 255, which I assume is more difficult to turn than any of the single hulled C-Dory models, has excellent control with the Perma trims.

I glide down the way and into my slip every time with no power needed since the steering under drift is so pronounced.

John
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drjohn71a wrote:
Spike,

The permatrims definitely allow better steering while gliding thru the water with no power. Like you, I had sailed for years and really felt lost with so little control while gliding/drifting without power on a power boat. Even the TomCat 255, which I assume is more difficult to turn than any of the single hulled C-Dory models, has excellent control with the Perma trims.

I glide down the way and into my slip every time with no power needed since the steering under drift is so pronounced.

John

John-

Have ever driven a jet boat?

Anytime the motor runs, the jet thrusts.

Forward, neutral and reverse are accomplished by a cup diverter:

No diverter= forward.

Diverter fully down, thrust backwards = reverse

Diverter half down, jet stream half and half = neutral (spinning jet stream still rotates boat some)

Come into dock, shut off engine= no thrust, = no steering= no control

Takes some getting used to. You have to learn to drive a boat all over again, pretty much.

Some jet drives (Hamilton) are better than others, and have a little better control.

CW could tell us more about this!

Jet skis are like this, and most of them have NO NEUTRAL OR REVERSE, JUST FORWARD AND IN GEAR!!

Jet boats need bit of a rudder to steer with when he power's off, but a rudder on a jet ski would be very dangerous.

If you've never driven a jet boat, don't just jump into one and expect business as usual! It's like a 5 year old kid thinking because he can ride a tricycle, he can jump into his dad's pickup and go 4-wheeling on the sand dunes!

Permatrims get a lot of their control from their downward side panels that act as rudders, and Permatrims are the best hydrofoils for any of the C-Dorys, as about 15 previous threads have concluded!

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Joe, I have had several jet boats. The last one had twin engines, but had absolutely no steering control once the throttle let off. Docking it was like throwing a boulder at the float and crossing your fingers!

As mentioned, I can steer the TomCat adrift without power for over a hundred yards right into the slip. I do it every time I return nowadays... many of my dockmates are amazed you can steer so well without power after having installed the Perma Trims.

I too believe the length and the turned under edges are what works.

John
phillipgo

City/Region: Westchester
State or Province: NY
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed a Permatrim on a 19' Arima,( simalar to the C-Dory). I am very happy with it. Well worth the money.
C-Hawk

City/Region: Carpinteria / Channel Islands
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: C-Hawk
Photos: C-Hawk
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phillipgo wrote:
I installed a Permatrim on a 19' Arima,( simalar to the C-Dory). I am very happy with it. Well worth the money.

Hi Phillip,

I almost bought an Arima- great boats.
I used to take a 17' Sea Ranger out 50+ miles for albacore.
You might want to check out the Arima Owners Group, another great owners group.

KJ6VVB
A Brat I am, At sea I be
God is Great, Beer is Good.... and People are Crazy
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and dont let the door hit you on the way out Twisted Evil

great bunch of nice people here Evil or Very Mad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trims Tabs, Hydrofoils All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: