The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Permatrim---thumbs up or thumbs down?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trims Tabs, Hydrofoils
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:37 pm    Post subject: Permatrim---thumbs up or thumbs down? Reply with quote

Greets,

I am getting ready to buy a Permatrim plate for Constant Craving, but thought I would solicite input from folks before I do. I know this is a repeat topic for many folks, but I would appreciate your input.

Kind Regards,

Steve
Bearbait

City/Region: North Pole
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1991
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed one last winter, best money I've spent on the boat.
Jazzmanic

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've said it before, I'll say it again. I love the Permatrim. Thumbs Up

Email: pjamero@gmail.com
Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had one sitting on a shelf in my garage for almost two years. Finally installed it (I also have trim tabs). The jury's still out on how well it works in heavy chop or heavy weather (hard to find here in San Diego) but I can say the slow speed maneuverability is greatly improved. I'm impressed.

Don
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

(Only have two hands!)

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
Wandering Sagebrush

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:52 pm    Post subject: Wooo Hoooo Sounds like Permatrim is a good deal Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback! The order goes in tomorrow!

Steve
oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You won’t regret it.
________
Dave
marvin4239

City/Region: Jacksonville Florida/Wilmington NC
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: C-FLE II
Photos: C-FLE II
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one on my 16 and really liked it.
smittypaddler

City/Region: Neenah, Wisconsin
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Na Waqa
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three questions:

1. I have twin Honda 40's. Is there any chance the permatrims will interfere with each other, e.g. make physical contact?

2. On my best days I only get 4.25 mpg, and have averaged 3.75 mpg over 7500 miles. Would Permatrims increase my mileage?

3. How difficult are these to install? Can a person like me with five thumbs on each hand manage it, or would I have to go to a professional?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smittypaddler,

I love my Permatrims, but as Bob of Thataway attests, they can lower your top end speed and, if tipped down much, will lower your mpg efficiency.

Mine seem to have an effect similar to a longer hull length when just set flat, parallel with the hull. In this position, my boat planes a bit earlier and I get good mpg. When the sea is rough and I want to go head on with minimum pounding at higher speeds, I tip them down a bit and the ride really smooths down. However, the fuel use per mile goes up some too. Maybe 1/2 to 1 mpg less. To me, it is worth it in these conditions.

As I mentioned earlier somewhere else, the Permatrims really increase the "rudder" effect of your outboard at slow, coasting speed, such as when in neutral approaching a dock float. Seems like more of a sailboat rudder going for you.

Also, they provide a handy boarding platform. I can crawl up on one, reach the engine tilt switch on the side and "elevate" me up to the swim step. This has come in handy when I fell overboard once when the swimstep ladder was not in place.

Do keep in mind though that the top speed will probably come down a bit about 2 mph I think.

They don't interfere with one another to my knowledge. I think if you bought one of those small, clamp-on drill guides, you'd have no trouble installing one. 8-10 small holes drilled in easily accessible area.

John

Last edited by drjohn71a on Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Alok

City/Region: League City
State or Province: TX
Photos: Top Cat
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mileage will certainly not go up; the mileage and top speed might go down by a fraction. That has been my experience. In fact, I posted a query to that effect on a previous thread. Below, I am copying the response from Sea Wolf which I found useful:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alok-

Not having fuel monitors, I've not seen the mileage drop with various hydrofoils, but instead have noticed a mile or two drop in top speed.

It's the same thing, either way, caused by the drag of the water on the foil surfaces.

It's probably minimized when the foil is at a non-tilted angle, more when tilted to trim the boat.

Trim tabs also drag the same way with the same effects.

It's a nice feature, but not without some drawbacks.

Same old story: No free lunch!

marvin4239

City/Region: Jacksonville Florida/Wilmington NC
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: C-FLE II
Photos: C-FLE II
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't really answer your first two questions but as far as installing them they are very easy. If you can operate a magic marker to lay out the holes a drill to drill them and a screw driver and a wrench to tighten the screws they are a snap. It is a little unnerving drilling a hole in your motor. They come with instructions. One thing they are kind of pricey compared to similiar items but there quality is superb. One thing I noticed is they helped me get on plane quicker which would increase gas mileage but then I guess you have to figure in the drag created by them.

As far as mileage I noticed on my 16 when I installed a level for lateral trim and paid close attention to my fore and aft trim my mileage increased.
oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot speak for the 22 but on my 16, my average speed increased by 4 to 5 MPH. The reason for this is before the Permatrim, my bow would get too high and start floating then start porpoising. It had to be dead calm and the water glass smooth before I could get above 27 MPH. After the Permatrim, even with some ripple and wind, I could get up to 35 MPH
________
Dave
westward

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Steady Eddy
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have twin 40's and recently purchased permatrims. I haven't installed them yet but I have no concern about them hitting each other, etc. The installation seems clear and easy; all fasteners are provided, they are sized to your motor, and all you need to buy is a small size tube of 5200. My thinking is as follows: As compared to our old 22 cruiser, the new boat is definitely stern-heavy. (curiously, though, it absolutely pounds less in a 1 foot chop condition despite not being able to nose down as much as I like). This is due of course to the additional weight of 4-stroke motors, more batteries, large fuel tanks, etc. But the boat was designed for less weight, and I must admit the old cruiser had a lighter feel underway and a more level planing attitude. I'm thinking that the 2 Permatrims will give the boat a few inches of hydrodynamic lift in the stern, which will allow the boat to perform more like it was originally designed to, will lower my minimum planing speed, and decrease overall friction (ie water displacement) in my normal cruising speed range, which is 20mph or less. I'm also hoping the Permatrims augment the trim effect I get from twin motors, reducing the need for trim tabs, which I've declined to have installed in the interest of mechanical simplicity and hull integrity. They may well add drag at the top end. Maybe I'm just talking myself into all of these benefits, but the feedback I've gotten from here and elsewhere has been overwhelmingly positive. I will report back honestly once they're installed and I've tried them out. Best, Mike.
Wandering Sagebrush

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:18 am    Post subject: 5200? Reply with quote

Has anyone used 5200 on their Permatrims, and then needed to pull the plate off??? I know that the installation guide lists 5200 as one of the sealants, but having tried to remove some stuff that was bedded in 5200, I am hesitant to use it for this application. I think I am going to go with Boatlife, which is also on the list.

Thoughts?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trims Tabs, Hydrofoils All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: