The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Permatrim---thumbs up or thumbs down?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trims Tabs, Hydrofoils
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are ways to get 5200 off. Someone glued my gps receiver in with it, but we carved it all off. It should be easily removed from the flat aluminum engine fins with sharp blade.

John
oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 5200? Reply with quote

Wandering Sagebrush wrote:
Has anyone used 5200 on their Permatrims, and then needed to pull the plate off??? I know that the installation guide lists 5200 as one of the sealants, but having tried to remove some stuff that was bedded in 5200, I am hesitant to use it for this application. I think I am going to go with Boatlife, which is also on the list.

Thoughts?

If it was me, I would use 6 or 8 small SS bolts to holt it on. I would not trust 5200 for a permanent instillation, especially with the stress and pressure it will be going through.
________
Dave
Bearbait

City/Region: North Pole
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1991
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instructions call for bolts which are provided, and 5200.
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:26 pm    Post subject: Permatrim---Arrived Reply with quote

Just as promised, my Permatrim plate arrived today. Nicely finished, no rough edges, Honda Silver.

Looks fairly easy to install (which means I will somehow make a mistake doing so.

Steve
westward

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Steady Eddy
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's clear in the Permatrim instructions that the (provided) SS bolts are to be used for attachment. I believe the sealant is to fill the joining gap, providing "cush" and preventing crevice corrosion in that space. I would imagine any below waterline marine sealant (not silicone) would work just fine. I'm going for it with 5200, slow dry version! Mike.
Steve Grover

City/Region: Lake Tahoe
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Vessel Name: Tee Ten
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:03 pm    Post subject: back to permatrim.. Reply with quote

A new Honda 90 (2007) was installed on my new 2005 19' C-Dory. Very Happy The boat has trim tabs. I ordered and have received the correct Permatrim for that engine. Because I am so pleased with the added performance of the Permatrim on my 16' C-Dory and because I'm missing the 3 ft. off the 22' Dory I'm thinking I'll get the lift from the transom the 19 needs to get out of the water and carry that 90 engine. Rolling Eyes Now...someone has said, why would I want to drill holes in the cavitation plate and add strain to the engine mounts and ware them out. Idea I never thought that the Permatrim would put so much vibration and strain on the engine mounts that it would be a problem. Any one want to comment on that one Question I'd really appreciate some knowledgeable feed back on that one. Idea
dogon dory

State or Province: AK
Vessel Name: DogOnDory
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Folks - Post Deleted By Author

Last edited by dogon dory on Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compare the "forces" from the foreward thrust of the engine (which is the dominate force) vs the "drag" whch is induced by the force of the Permatrim. You will find that the engine mounts are more than adequate to take the relitatively small additional force which comes from the Permatrims. I have been using fins on smaller motors for over 30 years and never saw a problem--proportionally the fins give more drag/lift on the smaller engines. There have been some broken cavitation plates from some improperly installed fins, but none to my knowege with Permatrims.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding 5200, be careful when just using it as a sealant. I had to have the outboard bracket removed from Journey On. The factory had glued it on with 5200 (also using 4 bolts.) I tried some liquid solvent. Didn't do squat. The boatyard used heat and got it off. That stuff is hard to get rid of.

For sealant only, I'd use something easier to remove, such as 4200. Silicone breaks apart easier, but I haven't found anything to get rid of the last remnants.

Boris
Steve Grover

City/Region: Lake Tahoe
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Vessel Name: Tee Ten
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:44 am    Post subject: Installed Permatrim Reply with quote

Though I post the results of the installation of the Permatrim on my repowered new to me C-dory 19'er. The 2007 Honda 90 is the only engine I have experienced on the Dory.
I ran the boat without the Permatrim is absolutely calm water (like glass). Used the trim tabs for bow up bow down. All was OK but the boat seemed slugish and steering seemed tight. I could almost steer with the trim tabs and felt the drag on each side when I pitched down. I felt a better plane and speed with tabs up. Less drag but bow higher than comfortable. I couldn't tell speed because I have not yet installed GPS. It's sitting here.
I installed the Permatrim. If I say myself, perfect job. (beautiful). I also dropped in prop size to the standard sea level prop for a Honda 75.
Went out yesterday onto the same perfect water conditions. Absolutely flat water. Not a breath of wind. The performance of the boat might of increased 25%. The engine turned 5500 rpms. I didn't need the trim tabs at all and therefore reduced the drag at the stern. Bow up and down smooth as butter. The steering became much smoother and less tight. I felt the boat to lift higher from the water. I experienced a nice cruising plane at 4000 rpms. I'm totally stoked with this increased performance.
I don't think it is as much related to the prop as to the Permatrim.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We bolted ours on to try it out--(didn't use the nylox for the trial)--and after we were satisfied that we would keep the Permatrims, we went with the 5200. I have removed items which had been 5200ed...but used both the antibond, plus heat. I figured the Permatrims would stay on. Not sure that my rational is correct that the 5200 would spread out the bearing surface of adhesion or not...

The Boat Life will not have the adherance--but should work fine.
westward

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Steady Eddy
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I committed with 5200 as well. I tried to use enough to fill the crevice between the Permatrim and engine plate to keep saltwater from sitting there and causing corrosion. I tooled it smooth with rags dampened with mineral spirits for a neat appearance. Hopefully I won't regret this approach. Later, Mike.
Dora~Jean

City/Region: Simi Valley
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Dora~Jean
Photos: Dora~Jean
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used 4200, seems to work fine after my first 45 nm trip.
Corsair F-31 Trimaran 1996-2002
MacGregor 26X 1988-1996
Glaspar Seafair Sedan 18 (2)
StarCraft 19 & 22
Catalina 17 & 22
Crestliner 19
+4 Previous, 1/2 sail, 1/2 power
Wayne McCown

City/Region: Rochester
State or Province: NY
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Little Mac
Photos: Little Mac
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have twin Honda 40s. Installation was quite easy (the instructions say to remove the props), but I found that unnecessary.

The biggest improvement was on the low end. In my case, that was beneficial, as speed limits on most of the 500 miles of canals (incl. the Erie Canal) are 10 mph. With the Permatrims, I can stay on plane at that speed (or even a tad less).
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I hope you guys know what you're talking about here. I received my Permatrim today and will be putting it on before the boat floats next.

I want to commend the US vendor for Permatrim. I placed my order online last Wednesday night and used an AMEX card to pay. Thursday I got a phone message from them saying that even though their web site store accepted the card they had not yet set their account up with AMEX. In the message the lady asked me to call in a different card if I could or wait a week for the card to work. I returned the call a few minutes later and she told me that they had already decided to process the order as placed and ship the thing right away. They would do the waiting for AMEX on their end. I got a note from them shortly after UPS delivered the package today telling me the card transaction went through just fine and thanking me again for my order. It's refreshing to still find mutual trust. They are pretty nice folks, too, and easy to talk to.

Now then, if this Permadeal doesn't lift my butt out of the water, increase my speed by 20% and double my fuel economy I may never be able to trust what I read on a web forum again.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trims Tabs, Hydrofoils All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: