The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Considering the C-Ranger, but....
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
D&BP

City/Region: Upstate
State or Province: NY
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:33 am    Post subject: Considering the C-Ranger, but.... Reply with quote

New here, but have looked at the Ranger 25 tug. I have a concern with regard to the stability of this boat in heavy weather. We do not plan any ocean excursions, but plan to keep the boat we buy on a fresh water lake.

We have 15 years sailing experience so we know what weather conditions can do.

Does anyone who owns the Ranger tug wish to comment on how the boat behaves in adverse conditions? I ask because we were chatting with a man who owned a 26 tug coming thru the Erie Canal. He commented that when he got back home, his boat was going up for sale because of its performance in rough conditions.

I am also concerned about the gentleman who had problems with his 110hp Yanmar..I read the thread, but didn't see what the outcome was. Does anyone here know? Thanks. Diane & Bob
flagold

City/Region: Abbeville
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Dawg-E
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What model 26 and what were his comments? Thanks.
Island Ranger

City/Region: Whidbey Island
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: Island Ranger
Photos: Two Lucky Fish and Island Ranger
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a Ranger 25, and have spent a bit of time on it. But your question (handling in adverse weather) is not an easy one to answer.

For a 25 ft power boat, with 8.5 beam and only 7000 pounds - I think it does an outstanding job in adverse conditions. We did not have any concerns regarding seaworthiness during our travels.

It rides far better than the C-Dory (we had a 22) - but I thought that was pretty seaworthy as well.

Yes, we have had uncomfortable moments (on all our boats). That occurs when the seas get confused - like when the swell comes from one direction and the wind waves from another. The boat "bobs" - I kinda think it is like a cork - floating on the surface, rocking from side to side. The boat is fine, the occupants get tossed around. Not pleasant, very tiring, but not dangerous.

The worst seas we've encountered so far on the Ranger have been wind waves of maybe 5 or 6 ft. The boat is wonderful going into the waves, but it can get difficult to handle surfing. With only a rudder to steer (instead of being able to turn the thrust of the outboard or stern drive), it can get difficult.

I guess I would have to ask what you want to compare it to? Our Cape Dory 27 sailboat handled a gale in open ocean waters (Atlantic - on the way to Bermuda that dismasted several boats). That was a heavy weather, full keel, heavy displacement boat. I sure wouldn't have wanted to be out there in a Ranger 25.

Mac
D&BP

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flagold wrote:

He owned a Crosby 26 tug. He had what he claimed to be a very harrowing experience on Lake Erie and told us the boat almost rolled a couple of times during a storm...I do not know how bad the conditions actually were and I don't know how good his seamanship skills were, but he was one unhappy boater.

D.
D&BP

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Island Ranger wrote:

I guess I would have to ask what you want to compare it to? Our Cape Dory 27 sailboat handled a gale in open ocean waters (Atlantic - on the way to Bermuda that dismasted several boats). That was a heavy weather, full keel, heavy displacement boat. I sure wouldn't have wanted to be out there in a Ranger 25.

Mac

I think I was looking for a generalized opinion from tug owners about how the boat handles in heavy weather. We too sailed in adverse conditions with lake water sliding by our portholes in a blow. I wouldn't have wanted to be out there in a small powerboat at the time, but our choices and circumstances have changed.

We've always wanted a Hinckley Sou'wester 50, but that will be in our next sailing life. Laughing

Thanks for taking the time to answer. Enjoy your tug!

D.
bobsboat

City/Region: Seattle
Photos: Bob's Boat
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worried too about the handling in rough water. My previous boat was a 30000 pound motor-sailor that would go through anything. I have been only in large boat wakes with the Ranger 25 and learned to turn into them to avoid rocking. But while annoying it did not seem dangerous. I just considered it to be expected for a 25 foot boat. We just hold on and stay warm and dry in the nice cabin.
pcator

City/Region: Fletcher
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Donna Marie
Photos: Donna Marie
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is another post that looks questionable to me. Where is the town/city "Upstate" New York?
flagold

City/Region: Abbeville
State or Province: AL
Vessel Name: C-Dawg-E
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D&BP wrote:
flagold wrote:

He owned a Crosby 26 tug. He had what he claimed to be a very harrowing experience on Lake Erie and told us the boat almost rolled a couple of times during a storm...I do not know how bad the conditions actually were and I don't know how good his seamanship skills were, but he was one unhappy boater.

D.

Appreciate it.
D&BP

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pcator wrote:
Here is another post that looks questionable to me. Where is the town/city "Upstate" New York?

Kindly explain your comment..the application said City/Region. I chose region.

I am not certain how a legitimate post about a boat we were considering would be "questionable".

I thank the OP's for taking the time to answer.

Diane
Valkyrie

City/Region: Loudonville
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Valkyrie II
Photos: Valkyrie
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having boated on Lake Erie for the last thiry years, it is safe to say that anyone who has spent any time cruising or fishing this smallest of the Great Lakes has had experiences with its legendary storms. In fact, there are more shipwrecks strewn across the bottom of this lake than any one of the other Great Lakes.

Erie covers 10,000 square miles and has an average depth of only 62 feet, and the average depth of the western basin, where most boating takes place, is only 24 feet. As a result of this depth, I have seen it go from flat calm to six-footers in an amazingly short time. Aso, its waves are typically very steep and closely spaced.

Of course, as with any body of water, knowing how to take the waves and wind is crucial, especially on a small powerboat. As a result, I have met plenty of people who are intimidated by Lake Erie and refuse to go there anymore. There are a number of large impoundments in PA and OH that sport an amazing number of large sail and powerboats (very sound and capable vessels) whose owners have convinced themselves that the lake is too mean for them. What a waste of good boats.

After making an extended two year cruise on Spirit, a Jeanneau 23, the single worst day of weather was the last, covering 75 miles on Lake Erie, where I faced three thunder storms with winds to 45 mph and half inch hail.

All that being said, I have never once felt that I was in danger of losing a boat or my life. The only thing that really got my attention was close lightning strikes. In addition, we all know that boaters tend to exaggerate or misinterpret the heights of waves or wind.

I suspect that the tug owner might fall into this or the inexperienced category. To date I have weathered two Lake Erie storms on Valkyrie (six-footers and 25-30 knot winds with gusts to 35) and felt perfectly safe quartering into them. Now if I had taken them on the beam, I would have had a harrowing, near-rolling (or rolling) experience.

I certainly would not write-off an entire category of boats based on one person's subjective experience.

Nick
"Valkyrie"

Last edited by Valkyrie on Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:00 am; edited 3 times in total
El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said, Nick. Good for all of us to pay attention to your words.
D&BP

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valkyrie wrote:

I certainly would not write-off an entire category of boats based on one person's subjective experience.

Nick
"Valkyrie"

I appreciate your comments.

We have not by any means written off this category of boat, but being ex-sailors, there was something comforting to us about several tons of lead in keel.

Before we made a move into a small powerboat like the C-Ranger tug, we wanted to know how their owners generally feel about their abilities in unpleasant conditions. We are getting the drift. We appreciate your sharing your Lake Erie experiences with us.

We had a brand new 28' sailboat that we took out on its shakedown cruise; got stuck in a storm with an overheating diesel engine that had eaten the fins from the impeller. That little jaunt was cause for Beer !

Thank you for your insight. Diane & Bob
SHOPGNG

City/Region: NORTH EAST
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Considering the C-Ranger, but.... Reply with quote

D&BP wrote:
New here, but have looked at the Ranger 25 tug. I have a concern with regard to the stability of this boat in heavy weather. We do not plan any ocean excursions, but plan to keep the boat we buy on a fresh water lake.

We have 15 years sailing experience so we know what weather conditions can do.

Does anyone who owns the Ranger tug wish to comment on how the boat behaves in adverse conditions? I ask because we were chatting with a man who owned a 26 tug coming thru the Erie Canal. He commented that when he got back home, his boat was going up for sale because of its performance in rough conditions.

I am also concerned about the gentleman who had problems with his 110hp Yanmar..I read the thread, but didn't see what the outcome was. Does anyone here know? Thanks. Diane & Bob
The boat in question is being tested this week. Remember your hearing a one sided story about this engine. The 110 is very reliable as are all Yanmar engines
SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy the first thing I would do is talk to Ranger to find out if you have an engine problem are THEY going to stand behind the product !!!!! Read the subject just above yours......40 days to get parts !!! NO WAY ! They are playing with you..... I absolutely would not buy a boat that had such a good engine.....but rotten repair history....

Joel
SEA3PO
Trinity

City/Region: Edmonds
Vessel Name: Trinity
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We talked to Ranger about this problem before we picked up our tug. We were satisfied with their response and are confident they will stand behind their customers.

I too suggest you talk to Jeff at the factory. That would be the best way to get the answeres you are looking for.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: