The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

CD22' 90hp or 2 40hp motors for fuel efficiency?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flapbreaker

City/Region: Hillsboro
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Playin' Hooky
Photos: Playin' Hooky
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Honda 90 with kicker. I might be getting the worst milage of all but this is in ocean conditions and usually operating in the 15 to 22 knt range. I suppose if I slowed down a bit it would get better but so far it appears a safe estimate of milage is 2.7 mpg (nautical miles per gallon) at about 5k rpm in 3-5 foot seas.

It's important to note that some people still use statute miles and not nautical miles to calculate their fuel consumption. Using statute will make your milage look higher. Just a thought.
flagold

City/Region: Abbeville
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: C-Dawg-E
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sweet spot for my boat is 22 mph and if I do that I get 5 mpg (statute). 90 Merc. stock aluminum prop.
jlastofka

City/Region: Vista
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Bossa Nova
Photos: Bossa Nova
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:28 pm    Post subject: 5 mpg Reply with quote

flagold,

That's a good number at around 20 mph. Congratulations. How do you set up the boat? Trim tabs up, down. Weight back, forward. Motor trimmed up, down. Do the side window frames look sort of level with the horizon, or is the bow riding more of an up angle? I haven't begun to play with this stuff yet.

It is a good idea for people to clarify the use of statute or nautical miles when they post things. I'm used to nautical, from playing on the ocean, but when I go to Lake Powell I expect I'll switch to statute for the week. The mile markers on the lake and the discussions with locals will likely be suited to that.

Jeff
flagold

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not have trim tabs. My spare motor is carried in the V-berth, all other weight as forward as I can get it. Trimmed to where steering goes from hard to easy. I have two GPS systems, one set to statute, one to nautical.
nesibus

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like my best bet would be just getting a kicker motor...

Whats the smallest recommended for the 22'?
flagold

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nesibus wrote:
Sounds like my best bet would be just getting a kicker motor...

Whats the smallest recommended for the 22'?

This really depends on where you are. I use a 4 hp (just as a get in motor) off the flats. Even a trolling motor with a generator or 1 hp will push it, doesn't take much. That would be fine on a lake (or oarlocks -- I've paddled the thing for short distance). On a river, not appropriate, you'd need an engine that will push the current speed plus a few mph. Some of the western rivers I've been to: 9-15 is appropriate. For many of the slower eastern rivers, 4 & up is probably adequate. High wind conditions, the mini-motors will only serve to hold the boat in place (while you anchor and wait for better conditions).
nesibus

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone mounted a trolling motor on the bow of a c-dory?
marvin4239

City/Region: Jacksonville Florida/Wilmington NC
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: C-FLE II
Photos: C-FLE II
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think an electric trolling motor similiar to the ones mounted on the lower unit might be a neat alternative. Perhaps mounted on the transom on a hinged or sliding bracket so it could be raised out of the water when not in use. For me the kicker option would add weight plus unless you used it on a regular basis you would deal with the carb problems with a motor that isn't used regularly. Of course this wouldn't have adequate power to combat heavy currents but for somewhat protected waters it should be fine and user friendly.
Best Day

City/Region: Long Beach
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Best Day
Photos: Best Day
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Westward, that is probably the best comparison of twins to main and kicker I have ever read. You made many good points. When I was trying to decide between twins or main w/kicker I figured that with either set up a fuel problem would make me dead in the water. But if I hit something in the water (container, log, sun fish, etc.) I could potentially lose both props on the twins. With a main and kicker setup you still have a kicker (with good prop) to get you home. That made the decision for me.

bill
flapbreaker

City/Region: Hillsboro
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Playin' Hooky
Photos: Playin' Hooky
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend the Honda 8 hp classic model. THere's no fancy frills but they are reliable, easy to start and don't weigh as much as the ones with power lift ect.
Jazzmanic

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Best Day, that was a great explanation Westward. For our use, I'm glad we got the Main + kicker combination. But I can also see how the twins would work out great to. As they, it all depends on how you wanna use the boat and personal preference.

Peter

Email: pjamero@gmail.com
westward

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Steady Eddy
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the content of my explaination I learned from Les Lampman, of EQ harbor service, the revered W. Washington C-Dory dealer. This is the level of detail and attention Les gives all of his customers on every aspect of their boat, as long as they have the time to listen and absorb. Needless to say, this keeps EQ in the small, low-volume realm, which frustrates the factory's "move more units" mentality. Regarding twins vs. single/kicker: my wife claims I got the twins because because I liked the way they looked and I'm like a kid with a new bike. What does she know... Mike.
CW

City/Region: Kalama
Vessel Name: Satisfaction
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fish for salmon and steelhead solo often and usually my boat (not yet a CD) is anchored and back-bouncing a weighted dropper line (about 3-5 ft. long, depending on 11 -- 60 ft. of water) rigged to a 3 way swivel or slider, with the spoon, brined herring, spinner or Kwikfish (+sardine wrap) trailing on a 3-6 ft. leader behind that in the Columbia river. It is very easy once set up, lazy man's fishin'.... But when we troll here on the lower Columbia, it is with the same gear. This allows us to follow the contours of the river bottom, keeping lures/baits right in the fish zone, a few ft. within the varying bottom. This requires constant mending of line. You let out until you feel it hit sand, then reel up a skosh, and you're there. I could not do this from the helm inside a cabin. This is very different from fishing the salt water at a fixed depth with divers or downriggers where snagging the bottom is not very likely and you just putt along. Trolling as I do requires the fisher to hold the rod and constantly adjust the reel. You have to be in the cockpit in the stern, or you're not really fishing. THEREFORE: It seems I'm best off looking for my new C Dory equipped with a main engine and a high thrust kicker with a tiller. On the other hand, fishing the Pacific, and if main motor fails, a kicker will steer the boat but not likely have enough umph to bring the boat home across the Columbia River bar (treacherous currents). Here is where a 40 or 50 horse backup/twin would prevail and get me home..... hmmmm what to do? I lean towards the first option.

C.W.

El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don is remembering correctly. We got exactly the same mileage on our twin 40's (the burn includes both engines) as Chris got on his single 75. We would check every time we fueled up. On almost 24,000 miles on our twins, we have averaged 4.01 Nautical Miles per gallon -- and that's over all conditions from idle, to pushing a heavy tidal (or river) flow, or drifting down a river. Of course, we get better mileage at slow speeds and less just short of a plane. The extra expense with twins is maintaining two engines instead of one, although that $800 bill is sure more than we've ever spent.
RJD Wannabe

City/Region: Elk Grove
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still 2 questions: mileage at 5 mph (trolling) and how much less do twins go into splash well compared to a single?? Enough difference to make a deeper table, cooler holder, fish box, etc??

Last edited by RJD Wannabe on Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: