The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Considering 19 Angler or 22 Sport Cruiser

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Laila

City/Region: Chesterfield
State or Province: MI
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 11:15 am    Post subject: Considering 19 Angler or 22 Sport Cruiser Reply with quote

We are considering a 19 Angler (first choice) or a 22 Sport Cruiser. We are just starting our research (and search). I am wondering about the performace, ride, stabiltiy of the 19 since it is a shortened 22. Can anyone give me some specific information regarding their experience with the 19 Angler?

I am not going to fish the boat so I don't need to add a kicker. We are going to primarily use it for day boating and taking out 2 to 6 people. We may do some overnighting with just the 2 of us.

Any help about the boat would be greatly appreciated. I am open to a used or new purchase if anyone has either of the boats for sale.'

Thanks for the assistance.

John
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laila

We very recently discussed almost this very question. Go to "Forums", select "C-Dorys All the Time", and then the topic "New to Site, Looking for Recomendations". After that, we'll pick up the converstion there! Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Taco
Photos: <a>Da Boats</a>
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Considering 19 Angler or 22 Sport Cruiser Reply with quote

Laila wrote:
Can anyone give me some specific information regarding their experience with the 19 Angler?

Hi John, welcome to the site.

Click on the "Search" link at the top of any page, and just enter "19". You'll see a number of discussions.

Here's a link to a recent one, specific to the 19.

Short answer - keep it light in the rear. Pay close attention to engine weight, and if you don't need a kicker, all the better.

I don't think you could fit 6 on board, and even if you could, it would probably be over weight. It's great for 2, crowded for 3, anything more won't be enjoyable for anything more than a very brief cruise.

You might also chat with Robbi - here's a link to her profile, and her brand spankin' new 19 is currently on the front page. She's been quite pleased with hers, and can probably give you good feedback on the recent models and her engine choice.

Robbi

City/Region: Chambers Bay
C-Dory Year: 2023
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Photos: C-Run
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, First off, I have less than 20 hours in this new boat, not an expert and don't expect to be for some time.(if ever) However, I think that Bill is right on in his remarks about the 19. He is the 19 expert in my book! I have only had two on board my new boat at any time, and I can't see that the 19 would be very good for more than 3. There is just not the room, plus any additional weight is to the stern. It is going to work great for me because I will use it alone most of the time, with a maximun of two on board. If I use it with four, it will be for short, slow cruises near home. I have a 90 Suzuki with no kicker. The Honda 75 would be a good choice also. Maybe better depending on use. Or the Suzuki 70.

Some changes that C-Dory has made to the 19 in the last two years have improved its over all performance. They now put a wedge on the transom to change the motor angle, plus the addition of trim tabs help in many respects, but not in the way I thought at first. I use little tab to get the boat up on the water, and only some adjustments to bring the bow down at speed. I use them more for balance. I also think that they add to the length of the hull. They just make the stern longer and thus hold the stern higher. My theory. Idea As I use the C-Run more, I will be better able to give informed thoughts. Well, maybe. Robbi

2003 C-Dory 19
sold 2019

2004 C-Dory 16 Cruiser
Sold 8/2015

2004 C-Dory 19 "C-Run"
Sold 8/2011

1989 C-Dory 16 Angler
Sold 2010
Robbi

City/Region: Chambers Bay
C-Dory Year: 2023
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Photos: C-Run
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, back again. Had to run off to a baseball game. I wanted to add that the 19 and 22 are both great boats. I love mine and it has lived up to all expectations. The ride and comfort are super. The boat feels very solid and safe (because it is!). My first day out I got into 2 foot choppy seas and didn't blink an eye. If you want a 19 to carry up to six, I like the idea in the other CD 19 thread. Build the interior like the 16 crusier, and then I would add- maybe move the fuel tanks forward! Shocked

Have fun in your search. If you get out this way, you can count on a ride. Robbi
R-Matey

City/Region: Bow
Vessel Name: R-Matey
Photos: R-Matey
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John,

We're the very happy owners of a 19' Angler. It's used primarily for cruising and exploring. No kicker motor just the Honda 75. It's really most comfortable with a maximum of two people. A third person or two small grandchildren are okay for short trips.

Ruth (and Joe, too)
R-Matey
Laila

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 3:06 pm    Post subject: Thanks for input Reply with quote

Thanks to all for the generous response. This, plus a lengthly chat with Les, is really helping.

Does anyone have photos and other info on what the 22 Sport Cruiser looks like; cabin as well as shots from stern forward? I'd appreciate it if anyone could direct me to a place to get a better look at the 22 Sport Cruiser.

Thanks,
John
jdoskoch

City/Region: Charlevoix, MI
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, where is Chesterfield, MI? If you are near the Detroit area, give Decks & Docks a call - they may have a 22 to look at. They are an authorized C-Dory dealer. Check link from C-Dory site - dealer listing - for phone number. They are near Orchard Lake. I drove down from Charlevoix to look at one last month. Lots of pictures in photo album in this site.

John D, "Up north", MI
Chuck S

City/Region: Cleveland
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Amelia Anne
Photos: Amelia Anne
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are lots of 22 Sport Cruiser photos here, just look around. And there's a line drawing of it as well.

There are forward facing seats port and starboart for the captain and wheelman (on our boat they are NOT the same person!), and two center facing benches which should seat 2 apiece. That's six all together. All seats have seatbacks, unlike the 19 in which the secondary seats are just pads or jumpseats. You can get this same interior in the solid bulkhead 22 Cruiser as well if you think you'll be extending the season.

The ordering process on these boats takes several months, so you're looking for something in stock. As I noted in an earlier message I drove from Cleveland to north of Green Bay to get our 16 Cruiser last May. Baltimore (Cutter Marine) and Sister Bay (Door County Boat Works) are about the same distance from Detroit. Heck, I was going to take the ferry across Lake Michigan, but it was just before the season started more than one run a day. Both dealers have Email links on the C-Dory factory site.

-- Chuck
Laila

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 10:12 pm    Post subject: Thanks for help Reply with quote

Chuck,

Thanks for this and previous communications. I think we're starting to hone in on what might work for us. Your info is helpful and maybe some day we can start a Great Lakes group.

Regards,
John
Chuck S

City/Region: Cleveland
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Amelia Anne
Photos: Amelia Anne
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 22 Cruiser what was first caught my eye, but I'd probably go for the 22 Sport Cruiser based on a season with our 16 Cruiser. I thought the open back would be a problem, but I think it's a benefit on the Great Lakes, our water gets hard when it gets cold enough for a Wallas stove or other heat. The factory can put the 22 Cruiser interior in the 22 Sport Cruiser, or any combination of seats and cabinets. I'd like the ability to sleep 3. Some way to convert the center facing seats into a berth might do it, I've not run the length/width. Yeah, you'd have to climb over this person to get out, but the boat is only 22 feet long.

-- Chuck
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: