The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Trim Tabs and/or Permatrims on a TC 255?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trims Tabs, Hydrofoils
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:42 am    Post subject: Trim Tabs and/or Permatrims on a TC 255? Reply with quote

There are lots of 255's out there now, what is the concensus on tabs? Do many of you have trim tabs on there and are they considered useful? I know Dr John has permatrims, is that enough?

I'm considering a 255 at this point. Captain's Choice would be for sale, probably in the spring, got some things I want to complete on her before that though...

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
Discovery

City/Region: LOA, UTAH
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Discovery
Photos: Discovery
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't think there's room for trim tabs on a TC255. We have Honda SST Hydrofoils on Discovery. Others have Permatrims.

Brent and Dixie,
1984 22' Classic sold 2003
2003 24' TomCat sold 2005
2006 TC255 Discovery Sold 2020
2006 CD 22' Angler Sold 2014
https://share.delorme.com/FBrentBetenson
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms." ~ Thomas Jefferson
drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With my experience using trim tabs on other boats vs. Permatrims on the TomCat, the Permatrims offer much more robust control than trim tabs. In fact, just leaving the Permatrims set level, the boat's performance is greatly improved.

An extra bonus of the Perma-Trims is that, when going slowly, as in docking, you can still have effective steerage when the engines are in neutral. Somewhat like a sailboat's rudder effect.

The unique water dynamics from the aft edge of the narrow hulls to the the raised, set back outboards makes installation of a large enough trim tab difficult and I think the performance would be hampered by doing so.

Also, why put holes into the cored hull when greater control is possible with Permatrims or equivalent?

Heading into rough seas, you can force the bow down to allow greater speeds without the bow jumping and airborne episodes - a great comfort for the trip home after hours in rough seas.

I have never needed the total range of control available with the Permatrims. The slightest touch on the tilt control makes significant changes.

John
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks John et al.... Just looked at the boat and I agree, I don't think there's room. This boat has Suzi 115's on it, a little small but the current owner says it'll do 40mph lightly loaded and in a smooth sea and that's plenty fast for me! They should be somewhat lighter than a bigger engine too. I think it's hull #16 so I need to look closely for some of the early problems you folks have had....

The macerator pumps for the fish boxes aren't even fastened to the transom, they are hanging on their inlet and outlet hoses.... I guess I should be glad they didn't screw them in!

Charlie
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no room for trim tabs. If you want to plane the boat at lower speeds, then the Permatrim (or other tabs help). Otherwise, I would run the boat without first.

I added Permatrims, and I don't see a great deal of difference. I don't think that the rudder effect is any different--it was present before. What I have noticed is a huge quarter wave at 8 to 10 knots. I can plane the boat down to 11 knots, but not below.

The Permatrims have not helped, in fact may have hindered the fuel consumption.. Top speed may be slightly less--but again, the boat has been slightly more heavily loaded, so it is difficult to tell.

I think that the 115's may be fine for the very light load--and if you only take day trips, with light loads, they may be OK--but the engine displacement is 30% less than the 150's. If you want to do serious cruising, you may want the bigger engines. I don't think you will get any better mileage at the same speed, and you will be really working the engines. The 115's were well suited to the TC 24. But that was a considerably lighter boat. Also this boat has older 115's--as I recollect he had the same engines on a pirsuit before the Tom Cat 255.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trims Tabs, Hydrofoils All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: