View previous topic :: View next topic  
Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Taco
Photos: <a>Da Boats</a>
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 9:00 pm    Post subject: Maptech Chartbooks? Reply with quote

Any of you ever use the Maptech Waterproof Chartbooks? In particular, I'm looking at the San Juan Island and Puget Sound editions.

They seem to get pretty good reviews in the newsgroups, and I like the form factor (12" x 17".) They would seem to be much easier to work with (and stow) in the relatively small 22 cabin, and at $50 a pop, they seem pretty reasonable given the detail they include.

Opinions?

WadeV

City/Region: Southern Pines
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Why Knot
Photos: Why Knot
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill, We have found the waterproof chartbook of the San Jaun's more than adequate--they are the only paper charts we have & highly recommend them.
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Maptech Chartbooks? Reply with quote

I have the Maptech San Juans book, and am going to pick up the Puget Sound book Real Soon Now...like you say, they are a convenient size, comprehensive and waterproof - what more could you ask for? For me a chart book is sort of questionable however, as I rely almost totally (sorry, you old mariners) on my Garmin 188C and my Garmin GPSMAP76 for backup. I am in trouble if the guvmint turns off the satellites, but otherwise I am covered...I tried using compass and charts - problem is that you have to recognize some landmarks in order to fix position, and it seems one green island looks pretty much like another (except Speiden, which looks like what we imagine Ireland would look like). But we always have the chartbooks open and try to track where we are and where we are headed. The Maptechs are the cat's meow (eh, Brock?) for local charts.
Da Nag wrote:
Any of you ever use the Maptech Waterproof Chartbooks? In particular, I'm looking at the San Juan Island and Puget Sound editions.

They seem to get pretty good reviews in the newsgroups, and I like the form factor (12" x 17".) They would seem to be much easier to work with (and stow) in the relatively small 22 cabin, and at $50 a pop, they seem pretty reasonable given the detail they include.

Opinions?

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Taco
Photos: <a>Da Boats</a>
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feeedback, guys - I'll pick up a set.
Aiviq

City/Region: Juba
C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Aiviq
Photos: Aiviq
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 6:11 am    Post subject: chartbook Reply with quote

I have a similar maptech product called a chartkit. It isn't waterproof, but it has wider coverage than the chartbook (coverage area "Pacific Northwest". It covers Puget sound and the San Juan's.) One thing I've noticed about the chartkit, and I don't know if this holds true for the chartbook, is that it's coverage is based on U.S. charts, and it doesn't have detailed coverage of Candian waters. If you cross the boundery, you'll still need Canadian charts. Jim
Alyssa Jean

City/Region: Guemes Is.(Anacortes)
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Alyssa Jean
Photos: Anna Leigh and Alyssa Jean
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bill, looks like you have made up your mind. I have also both of the Maptech books and like them alot. They are about 50 bucks each at West Marine.

When I/we venture up to Canada will need to find something small for that area. Don't know if Maptech makes one that takes in the area above they San Juan book. Have't seen one yet.

Alyssa Jean 16 Angler
Anna Leigh 22 Cruiser Sold 2005
Anna Leigh 25 Cruiser Sold 2014

K7KJR C-Brats #51
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Seamanship All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: