View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jack in Alaska

City/Region: Anchorage/Ninilchik
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 26 Pro Angler
Vessel Name: HIGH TIDE II
Photos: HIGH TIDE II
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:04 am    Post subject: Need Electronic help/suggestions Reply with quote

Today, while trolling for cohos in Homer, my Hummingbird Matrix 37 "gunny sacked". The depth became intermittent, then worked awhile, quit completely, started to work again etc.
Any ideas. GPS, speed, temp still ok.
It is the end of my fishing season so will have all winter to fix or replace it.

Also.........I am thinking of starting over in the electronics dept. I want a unit that will give me GPS, depth and a bottom contour map in the Cook Inlet Katchemak Bay area. I want it simple to use and in the $1500 area. Is there something like this out there for an electronically challenged simpleton like me?
I read the catalogs and posts on this site and all of the jargon.....C80, CD roms, DVD's, chart kits, maps, gold XL3 carts, NMEA0183 interfacing etc. .it makes one nuts trying to understand all of that.
Like the add on TV......."will somebody please help me"

Thanks for any help you can give.

HIGH TIDE-II; 2005 26' ProAngler; 2003 200 Honda / 2009 9.9 Honda high thrust
No. CD026021I405; AK-5008-AK
MSSI No. 338143486(cancelled)

HIGH TIDE; 1983 Angler Classic 22'; 90 Honda/ 9.9 Tohatsu-sold 2009 to son Dan (flatfishfool)
Stolen & stripped in Aug. 18
Bare hull & trailer sold in Nov.
CatyMae n Steve

City/Region: Jefferson, OR
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: CatyMae
Photos: CatyMae
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We were having the same sort of issues with the Raymarine C70 and had been in contact with Raymarine and they wanted to see the unit, thinking the actual unit was bad. We were at the end of the salmon season last year when that was happening. We hadn't pull it, but the next time we were in the boat was to install the remote kicker throttle controller -- looking at the panel to see where to connect it, Steve laid down on the berth and touched the wiring cover -- and he could make the interior lights go off and on by touching it -- long story short, one of the wires was loose -- Sportcraft tightened everything down AND connected the remote throttle wiring for us and the C70 hasn't malfunctioned since! So, I'd say check the wiring connections first -- I know, it's a maze (unless stevej, owner of Shearwater, has gotten in there and tidied it up for ya! Smile )

After that experience, I'd recommend checking the wiring anyway -- shorts and fires don't agree with fiberglass boats!

Caty
tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Electronic help/suggestions Reply with quote

Jack in Alaska wrote:
Today, while trolling for cohos in Homer, my Hummingbird Matrix 37 "gunny sacked". The depth became intermittent, then worked awhile, quit completely, started to work again etc.
Any ideas. GPS, speed, temp still ok.
It is the end of my fishing season so will have all winter to fix or replace it.

Also.........I am thinking of starting over in the electronics dept. I want a unit that will give me GPS, depth and a bottom contour map in the Cook Inlet Katchemak Bay area. I want it simple to use and in the $1500 area. Is there something like this out there for an electronically challenged simpleton like me?
I read the catalogs and posts on this site and all of the jargon.....C80, CD roms, DVD's, chart kits, maps, gold XL3 carts, NMEA0183 interfacing etc. .it makes one nuts trying to understand all of that.
Like the add on TV......."will somebody please help me"

Thanks for any help you can give.

I have the Garmin 188C, color plotter, Gps, fishfinder Etc. W/speed & temp!! Mr. Green Beer if you want to see the Garmin operate give me a call(in ihe book) next time you are in Soldotna. Trustworthy in Soldotna carries Garmin!

Last edited by tsturm on Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:09 am; edited 1 time in total
gljjr

City/Region: Fall City
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1982
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Migratory Dory
Photos: gljjr
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds like a bad transducer or a bad connection on the transducer.

You can get a really nice Lowrance LCX-28C HD that will have the NauticPath charts built in, plus get the correct Navionics chart chip for your location for about $1500 from BOE. That would give you a 7" screen. Going to the LCX-27C might save a little but you lose the Nautic Path charts on the internal "HD".

A Raymarine C-70 would run you a couple hundred more. The Garmin units of this size seem even more expensive yet. And Humminbird's a little less.

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can easily replace the transducer. First I would clean the contacts with contact cleaner, and a fine brush, then put on corrosion block and plug it back in. Look for pinching of the cable etc.

You can always replace the transducer. The Matrix 37 is still a good depth sounder.

I'll do some checking and see what chart chip has the bathyspheric chart of Cook inlet. If it is Navioncis, then you may want to stick with Hummingbird.

Over all the Furuno fish finders are the best. I think my Lowrance is second best--But both RayMarine and Garmin have improved their depth finders in the last several years. But if you want the ocean contour, you will be limited.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C map has the Bathymetric chart M 820:
http://chartcatalogue.c-map.no/chartlisting_max.asp?crtrID=M-NA-M820&quickrefID=BAT&us_crtr=0 lists all of the sub charts.

Navionics has "Fish'N Chips" which is one chart cover the entire waters of the US, to be used with the Gold + or Platinum charts (but it is not specific for the Cook Inlet as you desire). I don't know what detail is available in this area.

Garmin US 304 B is a Bathymetric chart of the Alaskian waters.

I would suggest that you contact Garmin, C map and Navionics and ask for sample bathymetric chart of Cook Inlet --the same lat and long so you can compare the charts.

There is a very comprehensive Hummingbird list server thru Yahoo:
sideimaging@yahoogroups.com, There are discussions of capture of specific depths and GPS co-ordinates on the higher end GPS/chart plotter/fishfinders made by Hummingbird.

If I was looking for the best depth finder/fishfinder/GPS to record places for fishing, I would go with Furuno NavNet 3 (just comming out, so you might want to wait for the spring)--This will give the excellence of the Furuno Fishfinder with the networking chart plotter and the very good C map Bathymetric charts.

The current Furuno Fish finders will interface with Furuno chart plotters to record the location of fishing hot spots.
Jack in Alaska

City/Region: Anchorage/Ninilchik
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 26 Pro Angler
Vessel Name: HIGH TIDE II
Photos: HIGH TIDE II
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:19 am    Post subject: Garmin 545map Reply with quote

I just happened to be in the local marine store today. They had many last yrs. electronics on sale at 60% off. I did not bite.
Also had the new Garmin 545 set up with the local charts and bottom contours. I want it!!!!! It is really neat. The clarity of the screen was amazing.
I would be interested in opinions of others particularly those that have one.
That may be on my Christmas list this year if i get good feed back on it.
drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Raymarine Chip for the Vancouver area and Puget Sound has the bottom contour mapping. It is a Navionics chip, I believe.

John
oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack – I have the Garmin 3205 and really like it. It is similar to the 545. The reason I went with the 3205 is because it is network and radar compatible. If you think you will ever want radar, look at the 3205.

The other differences are the screen orientation and the chips they use. The 545 uses the SD card (much better) then the Garmin proprietary chip the 3205 uses.

The cost of the two unites are about the same.

Haven’t used any of the other brands, but the Garmins are very intuitive and easy to use. You don’t need a manual with their units.

________
Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: