View previous topic :: View next topic  
Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: Wilbur
Photos: Da Boats
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 8:47 pm    Post subject: Tax day - who's feelin' the pain??? Reply with quote

Dang - I'm one happy camper today.

I'm one of those folks who stupidly gives the government an interest free loan all year. We've always received a tax return, sometimes big, sometimes small. I just hate the thought of writing them a check.

So, it was with great disgust and surprise when I fired up the tax software last January, started punching in the numbers, and saw that we would have to send in some cash - almost $3000!

I've been a grumpy dude ever since, and with no refund coming, I put off finishing the taxes until - you guessed it - today. Why rush to pay? Grumble grumble...

Then, just a couple clicks before submitting, it prompted me to run the data through some error checking. One of the warnings that popped up indicated the software had guessed on one of my line items, and I should check the decision it made. Basically, it guessed wrong, and when I manually corrected it, my $3000 deficit turned into a $4000 return.

Woo hoo! Now let's see...what else can I cram on that new boat...Mr. Green

Makes me wonder if I should trust these programs down the road...I've used them for years (TurboTax and TaxCut), but a good accountant wouldn't have made the "bad guess" that needed correcting.

If any of you used TaxCut this year, and contributed to more than one pre-tax retirement plan, you may have been hosed as well. Drop me PM, and I'll cough up the details...

Wheeler Dealer

City/Region: Wheeler, OR
State or Province: OR
Photos: Denebola
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill,

Wow, from grumble grumble to woo hoo in one posting!

We always loan Uncle Sammy the bucks too. We know several freinds that try to play it way too close and then stress like a bait fish for months before filing. We got $2500 back. I guess were going to remodel a bathroom instead of getting that new windlass I've been hinting about daily since January Cry. Thought I had her sold on it after Catchlimit Rolling Eyes.

Jon

Wheeler Dealer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill,

Put some Cathlamet pics in the Denebola album just now. They loaded fine according to the upload message and it says there are the correct number of pics, but now I can't get to the album at all, just says "page not found".

Can you help when you get a chance Pleeeeeeease?

Thanks Hug

Jon
Da Nag

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm...your album and the river pics are coming up fine for me - clicked on the Denebola link in your post, and saw two pages of pics.

You might try clearing your cache, and trying again. Assuming a recent version of IE, click Tools...Internet Options...Delete files...Delete all offilne content...OK.
El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow -- I've been using Turbo Tax for years -- you mean if I switch to TaxCut maybe the gummit will owe me something??
It sure pays to look at the details, eh? Some years ago we discovered the IRS didn't know the difference between an oil royalty (that we certainly don't have) from a book royalty (that we have a little of). That took three years to resolve but we treasure our little momento of victory, the cover from the court case -- El and Bill Fiero vs. The United States Government. And, hey, we're about the most patriotic people around. But you sure have to watch those complicated forms from the IRS and they aren't usually on your side.

KenMcC

State or Province: NM
C-Dory Year: 1999
Photos: Vivien C
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great news, Bill (Da Nag)

I've only used Turbo Tax (about 10 years now), and I'm neither broke nor incarcerated, so something must be working right.

That kind of a swing sounds HUGE, so it sounds like a simple reality check might be in order. I always calculate my final tax as a percentage of my GROSS income, to see if it makes any sense. If not, then I look at any significant changes that may have occurred in the process (dependents, etc.). Since I have been doing the "reality check" (from about 1966), my percent of tax against my gross income hasn't varied more than about 2 percentage points (except for very large swings that I knew about, such as investment gains or losses).

If you can't explain the big swing in your own mind, I'd go for a third party opinion, because Uncle has a way of catching up, even though it may take several years. And there are no boating facilities at Leavenworth!

Good luck, and I hope it comes out your way.

Ken
KenMcC

State or Province: NM
C-Dory Year: 1999
Photos: Vivien C
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, I never came across TurboTax "guessing" at any line items. I'm surprised that any legitimate software publisher would try that. But heck, in the short term, it might be a great way to sell software!

Doesn't sound like any normally accepted accounting practices, to me!

But what do I know?

N. Ron
DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 2:35 am    Post subject: Re: Tax day - who's feelin' the pain??? Reply with quote

Da Nag wrote:

I'm one of those folks who stupidly gives the government an interest free loan all year.

I enjoy loaning the government $$$ also.....after all, I loaned them my body for three years for a few mere coins (Army)....of course they gave me a vacation in S. E. Asia. At any rate I'm sure my extra money to them does a bit to strengthen the economy.

At any rate, received our money the end of February and guess what we spent it on!

I've used the accountant method for years.....the one year IRS questioned me, I called the accountant on the phone and he checked it out and said, "No, we're right, the IRS is wrong!" Guess what? My accountant was right! Kind of like a life jacket at sea....wouldn't be without one. (After all, he keeps up on all the rules, regs, and changes and does a lot more tax forms than I'd ever do in a year....so I pay the expert!).

C-Brat #16

Last edited by DaveS on Fri Apr 16, 2004 2:37 am; edited 2 times in total
Da Nag

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KenMcC wrote:
By the way, I never came across TurboTax "guessing" at any line items.

I used TurboTax for years, and was quite happy with it - up until last year, when they decided to incorporate their mis-guided product activation scheme. Made me drop them like a hot rock, along with a bazillion other customers.

Perhaps "guessing" was a bad choice of words. Basically, TaxCut has a bug, but it probably doesn't affect too many people. It handled our 401K pre-tax contributions as it should, but did not handle our 457B pre-tax contributions correctly - it counted the entire amount as taxable income, which resulted in the huge error. I had to drop out of the "interview mode" and into the forms to correct it manually.
Da Nag

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

El and Bill wrote:
Wow -- I've been using Turbo Tax for years -- you mean if I switch to TaxCut maybe the gummit will owe me something??

You guys are far too smart to take tax advice from somebody named Da Nag...Shocked
Lynn Marie

City/Region: Redmond
C-Dory Year: 1997
Photos: Lynn Marie
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,

The crew from the Lynn Marie uses a tax accountant that hounds me for everything and then makes sure we don't owe and that our returns are minimal. The best part is while he's in the office putting our return together, we're out on the boat playing. This years returns are already on the boat or in the bank. Works for us.

Tim

Wheeler Dealer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill,

Cleaned up cache files,(pretty full). Can open first page in album but second page still comes up "page not found" Embarrased.

Hmm. Let's see, I start talking about taxes and government, and now I can't get in my own files Twisted Evil.

Jon
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C-Brat TaxPayers aand Protesters-

Good News and Bad News:

The good news is that since my wife joined me in retirement this year, we overpaid a bid and will be getting $7k back from the Feds and $3k back from Arnold's World. The bad news is that my wife decided she wants a pontoon boat to lay back on, swim around, and enjoy the hot summer afternoons on Shasta Lake. After writing out a check for $21,000+, the good news is that half of it was paid for by the returns.

The other good news is that we will have the resulting 24 foot Fisher patio style boat to mess around with during the C-Brat get together on Shasta on October 8-10!

By the way, Bill (DNDN), we'll have to talk soon with Les and the EQ Gang about how to integrate this with their plans and set up some kind of loose agenda as needed for that weekend, including any moorage arrangements necessary for those who want to stay at any of the marinas over night, or reserve camping space (where necessary). Talk to you all later. Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Wheeler Dealer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill,

Got back in to the album tonight and was able to get to the second page.

Thanks?

Jon
Da Nag

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wheeler Dealer wrote:

Thanks?

Hmm...admit I did nothing, or take the credit. Decisions, decisions... Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: