The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Water intrusion on 2005 22' cruiser
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan McNally

City/Region: Bothell
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Shannon- Colleen
Photos: Shannon-Colleen
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies and information. I have tried to eliminate all the on board water to isolate the source. The fresh water tank has been drained and the porti-pot has been removed. I can wipe the area dry and within a couple of minutes there is water showing up at the grommet in the floor under where the porti-pot would sit. I pull the grommet and poke the foam and it releases more water, the problem is coming from from the hull or anchor drain hole. I did not see a tube at this area just a small hole going to the outside.

Thanks Dan.
Sealife

City/Region: Woodland Hills
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: SeaLife
Photos: SeaLife
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan,

Mark has probably given you the best guess.......the screws afixing the bronze stem to the bow were drilled too long, and breached the hollow area within the hull containing the foam flotation. This was a problem just after the change of C-Dory owners a few years ago. The foam flotation material absorbs alot of water and continues to weep for quite a while. Roger (Fishtales) had this problem which he cured by cutting an inspection port in the bulkhead just behind the porta-potti, then drying the area out with a blower, and afixing a cover over the hole. Of course, remove the stem screws and reseal the holes well before reattaching.

Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Water intrusion on 2005 22' cruiser Reply with quote

Dan- Didn't you say in your first post you had already checked the screws on the bow strip for leakage?

Joe.

Dan McNally wrote:
......(Stuff clipped) I had the screws checked at the brass bow cover, this was not the problem either.

Dan McNally

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grumpy wrote:
I have a 2005/6 CD 22 and it definitely has a gap between the two. Not 3/4 inch but more then enough to let water through. It is very difficult to actually see it but if you put piece of bent wire in the hole you can find it.
I simply inserted an appropriately sized plastic tube (which just happened to be part of a Bic ball point pen !!) and carefully epoxied and trimmed both ends.
Merv

We have a 2004 CD 22. It likewise has the gap between the two. What worked very well for spanning the gap was to insert a piece of Oxygen Supply Tubing (it is the perfect size! and made of soft plastic). Cut the tubing so that the flaired portion where the tubing would connect to an oxygen cylinder is still present on your "cut piece". Then if you insert the tubing from the inside of the anchor locker, the flaired portion will rest (squeeze) perfectly in the hole. I cut the tail portion of the tubing so it is flush with the trailing edge of the outer clam shell. (That should eliminate any intrusion of water).

As to the foam area under the inspection port (beneath the porta potti), use a screw driver and "chip out" the foam down to the hull (this creates an opening the size of the exterior hole. Then you can vacuum out the water as Mark S. suggested or obtain a 50 cc syringe and suck the water out.

All a very simple and easy fix.

C-Brat #16
colobear

City/Region: Denver
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2006
Photos: C-Cakes
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 2006 has a small bilge well at the rear of the cabin just under the door. It is approx (guessing here, not at boat) 6"x14"x6" and is a hand laid fiberglass "bucket" that contains a Rule bilge pump. Water comes into the well through a slot at the base of the cabin bulkhead and there is normally an inch or two in that well. I think most of the water is rain/wash water. The bilge is covered by a plywood cover extending the width of the cockpit between the two storage areas (under rear seat and under stove/heater). When finished it looks like a step at the rear of the cockpit with a hinged door used to get at the bilge. I think the 2006 was the last model to have this setup. The molded in floor raises the cockpit floor as Sea Wolf said and eliminates the water access.
Dan McNally

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brats,
Thanks for the information to date, I have e-mailed the factory but have not had a reply as of yet. Just an update, I recently went to the boat and removed two plus gallons from the porta-pot area. the porta-pot is not the problem as it was not in the area at the time, the possibility of rain water is out because the boat is completely under a covered garage and there is no fresh water in the tank. This is saltwater that has entered the hull from some outside source. I wonder if it could be from the raw water wash-down pick up that goes thru the hull at the rear of the boat? Is there a double hull or void space at this location? I see no standing water in the area by the drain but if there is a double hull at this area the water then could travel to the bow and be released thru the grommet as this is the only release point that I can find.

I'll keep you posted and thanks for the information so far.

Dan.
DaveS

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barry,
My '04 has the same set up as yours with the bilge pump in the same location.

However, the water in the bow (under the inspection port ie: beneath where the porta potti goes) is a different issue. It is water that is held in the foam under the v-berth until it starts leaking upwards through the edges of the inspection port and probably only becomes visible after the foam becomes so saturated that if will no longer hold the water. The entry point of this water is through the space between the outside hull and the anchor locker. Water either gains entry in this space through the outside "clam" or if your anchor locker gained enough water from the retreival of a saturated anchor rode.

(The bilge pump you are referring to catches it's water from the cockpit. After all trips I inspect it and if there is any water in it, I sponge out what the bilge pump does not remove so as to keep moisture down in the boats interior).

Most likely anyone who has a vessel that has that "space" between the hull and anchor locker, has water intrusion under the v-berth......it just hasn't escaped through the inspection port yet as it has a fairly tight seal. Once the inspection port is removed and some of the foam is removed you'll see standing water!
DaveS

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan McNally wrote:
Brats,
Just an update, I recently went to the boat and removed two plus gallons from the porta-pot area. the porta-pot is not the problem as it was not in the area at the time, the possibility of rain water is out because the boat is completely under a covered garage
Dan.

Hi Dan,
My vessel is stored in a completely enclosed shop also. (FYI I don't have a raw or fresh water washdown and no screwed on stem guard). I'd bet YOUR paycheck that your water problem is as I stated above. Of the two...saturated anchor rode or sea water coming in through the outside clam I'll wager YOUR paycheck that mine is from the outside clam, as I rarely deploy my anchor.

Please note.....(since I have to get my daughter through college) I'm not putting my paycheck Rolling Eyes into the mix so its' all on yours.... Laughing

On the last cruise that I made, I noticed a slight bit of water in the walkway of the cabin under my carpet. Today I removed the porta potti and when I pressed down on the inspection port I squeezed a bit of water past the port's seal. I then pried the port off and saw a slight bit of water on the foam. (It is packed with foam!) I scraped the foam out in a neat circle beneath the opening down to the hull. I then had standing water. I initally vacuumed out some water. Now every hour for the past 4 hours I've gone out to the boat and utilizing a 50 cc syringe, I've sucked more water out as the foam gradually releases the water. I feel certain that my "fix" with the oxygen supply tubing that I earlier described will solve the problem of further water intrusion.

Additionally, please note that the water that got in has been over a period of 3 years, so it is obviously not a major/sudden intrusion. Most likely every time that I've gone out and hit a few waves enough to dip the "clam shell" under water, the boat has ingested a small bit of water with each immersion.
DaveS

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I started this "project" this afternoon, the water impregnated foam has been "giving up" about 60 to 90 cc's of water each hour.

With water weighing in at 8.345 lbs. per gallon, if this keeps up, I'll soon be able to pick up the front end of the boat without having to eat my spinach Wink
Alana Kai

City/Region: Matawan
State or Province: NJ
Photos: Alana Kai
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:15 am    Post subject: Water Leak Reply with quote

In my 2004 22 Cruiser I have a bulkhead fitting that is to the right of the cabin door just below the floorboards. It is a plastic fitting with an O ring seal that threads into the female portion of the fitting.

The only time I ever had water in the cabin is when this fitting loosened up a little. Now I check it every so often to make sure it is tight.

I did not know it was there until one day I noticed some water on the cabin floor. I called my dealer (Cutter Marine) and they knew what it was right away.

Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got one of those too but don't have the plug. I get water in the cabin every time it rains. The only bilge pump on a '94 is at the transom between the gas tanks. I usually keep my bimini up to help or put the cockpit cover over the whole shebang. I need one of those plugs!!

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
Moxieabs

City/Region: Cape Neddick
State or Province: ME
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Widget
Photos: Widget
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My "plastic" fitting leaked around the mounting flange and through the mounting screws that penetrated the bulkhead wall. Took several tries to figure out it wasn't just a loose plug.
Jazzmanic

City/Region: Seattle
Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Water Leak Reply with quote

Alana Kai wrote:
In my 2004 22 Cruiser I have a bulkhead fitting that is to the right of the cabin door just below the floorboards. It is a plastic fitting with an O ring seal that threads into the female portion of the fitting.

The only time I ever had water in the cabin is when this fitting loosened up a little. Now I check it every so often to make sure it is tight.

I did not know it was there until one day I noticed some water on the cabin floor. I called my dealer (Cutter Marine) and they knew what it was right away.

Thanks for the tip. Thumbs Up We've had water on the cabin floor from time to time and I didn't know where to start to look. Maybe this is the answer! Smile

Email: pjamero@gmail.com
Dan McNally

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an up-date, as of yet no contact from the factory. I e-mailed them again and pointed out that as a consumer I had expectations and to have no response in a weeks time I felt was below my expectations. I hope this is not going to be a battle. You may question why I do not just call them on the phone, well the simple answer is I work long hours and I am far from a phone. To get a hold of the factory by phone would be great but so far I can not get them to e-mail me, or leave a message on my answering machine.

Regards,

Dan
DaveS

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One week ago today, I started this project and I'm STILL extracting water with a syringe from the inspection port. That foam doesn't give up that water at any "breakneck" speed!

So far, I've extracted two and a half gallons of water!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: