The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Water intrusion on 2005 22' cruiser
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan McNally

City/Region: Bothell
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Shannon- Colleen
Photos: Shannon-Colleen
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:38 pm    Post subject: Water intrusion on 2005 22' cruiser Reply with quote

Fellow dory owners I need some insight if possible. I have a small but irritating problem on my 2005 22' cruiser, water on the floor in the cabin. I sent it to a recommended dealer to see if a dunk in a tank and spray of the exterior could locate the source this was of no help. Has anyone had a similar experience? I had the screws checked at the brass bow cover, this was not the problem either. I take on about half a gallon a day, it shows up under the porti-pot then travels to the cabin area with motion when traveling. When I clean the boat after use then water reappears from the hull at the grommet under the porti-pot and slowly bleeds for days. Any help with this mater would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Dan McNally
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the water salty or not? If the boat is used in salt water and the water is salty, it's most likely coming through the hull someplace. If you get water while stored on the trailer. then you should look at the rub rails and perhaps the hatch over the v-berth.
ppriest

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:52 pm    Post subject: Water under the potty Reply with quote

I presume you've eliminated a leak of the fresh water in the potty as a possiblity.
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is your boat stored bow down and does it rain where you are? If my boat is stored bow down, as it often is in my yard, and it rains then water will get into the cabin if the forward bulge pump does not kick on or the battery goes dead from running. The water will flow into the sump, fill it 3/4 of the way and then leak out the hole for the pump hose. Then it drains out from under the cabinet and flows down hill to the base of the v-berth were it enters into the void under the porta-pote and bunk. then when I launch the boat and it gets on plane the water drains back out from under the void and into the cabin were it has no place to go. If I just cover the back of the boat with the canvas then the water can not collect in the back deck and run forward. So back to the first questions. 1. is your boat stored down hill and when did it rain last???
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the 22's got water under the V berth area from the anchor locker-and it showed up under the portipotty-check to be sure that the floor of the anchor line locker is completely sealed.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is also a drain tube that exits the anchor locker and passses through the hull, with a clamshell type cover over the outer end of the tube. This tube must be sealed at both ends well, or water from outside - or from the locker inside - can drain down between the outer hull and the anchor locker, and then down into the space under the v-berth.

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Ashley Lynn

City/Region: Panhandle
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Ashley Lynn
Photos: Ashley Lynn
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When did the 22' cruiser stop having a forward bilge? I was not aware that my 2007 22' had a forward bilge.

Am I missing something?

Boating, where its ok to play with your dinghy!
ripple

City/Region: Mill Valley
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Ripple
Photos: Ripple
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drilled a hole for the anchor locker drain thru the hull on the port side at the bottom of the anchor locker and it appeared to be solid fiberglass, i.e. no balsa wood core in that location.

Is this something that is different than the older boats?
Sea Wolf

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ripple wrote:
I drilled a hole for the anchor locker drain thru the hull on the port side at the bottom of the anchor locker and it appeared to be solid fiberglass, i.e. no balsa wood core in that location.

Is this something that is different than the older boats?

Ripple-

No, to my knowledge, neither the hull or the anchor locker have ever been cored up front at the bow near the stem.

The "trick" is to seal both of the ends of the tube well.

Joe.

Hull lay-up showing balsa coring in floor.
Sea Wolf

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ashley Lynn wrote:
When did the 22' cruiser stop having a forward bilge? I was not aware that my 2007 22' had a forward bilge.

Am I missing something?

Bob and Nancy-

The forward bilge was added to deal with rain and splash water when the boat is at rest because the water accumulates at the bulkhead near the door, and the rear bilge pump works only after the water gets quite deep, or the boat is tilted bow up during oeration. (The water accumulates forward instead of at the rear because the roundness or rocker in the hull from front (stem) to rear (stern).

I'm not positive, but they probably eliminated the forward bilge pump a couple of years ago when floorboards became standard equipment. The floorboards raise the floor up to a dry level, such that any additional water is high enough to activate the rear pump.

Hope this accurate and helps!

Joe. Teeth
ripple

City/Region: Mill Valley
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Ripple
Photos: Ripple
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe-

Maybe I am missing something but why is a "tube" required if the hull is solid fiberglass where the hole for the drain is? I just drilled a hole and smoothed the fiberglass and then installed the clamshell on the outside. It seems like a tube would only be required if there was a gap between the inner and outer hull...
Sea Wolf

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ripple wrote:
Joe-

Maybe I am missing something but why is a "tube" required if the hull is solid fiberglass where the hole for the drain is? I just drilled a hole and smoothed the fiberglass and then installed the clamshell on the outside. It seems like a tube would only be required if there was a gap between the inner and outer hull...

ripple-

You're exactly right! Most of the older boats had a gap of about 3/4" between the locker and the outer hull, necessitating a tube.

Maybe they have eliminated the gap by enlarging the locker component and glassing it to the hull directly before putting the deck on, or simply adding a back bulkhead as the rear wall of the locker and using the sides of the hull as the anchor locker walls! It would sure be a very logical and simple improvement!

Does anyone know if this has been done?

Joe.
Grumpy

City/Region: Whidbey Is
Vessel Name: Kingfisher II
Photos: Kingfisher
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 2005/6 CD 22 and it definitely has a gap between the two. Not 3/4 inch but more then enough to let water through. It is very difficult to actually see it but if you put piece of bent wire in the hole you can find it.
I simply inserted an appropriately sized plastic tube (which just happened to be part of a Bic ball point pen !!) and carefully epoxied and trimmed both ends.
Since then no visible water in the forward area as seen via the small hole under the P Pottie well.

Merv
Not For Hire

City/Region: Cadillac, MI
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Not For Hire
Photos: Not For Hire
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that the newer boats still have a small gap between hull and locker and that a tube, epoxied in place, is a good idea. Also paint the locker with some epoxy paint is a good idea. The vent area is not balsa cored.

Biggest water intrusion in boats a few years ago was through the stem guard screw holes. There are several previous long threads on both these topics.

One of these two is the likely culprit in your boat. To have that much water.

If you see water coming out small circle under porta-potti location that means you have a lot of water under the v-berth. The foam takes up most of the room and the foam shouldn't rot but it will take a long time to get all of the water out. The water that is in there can't flow readily because of the foam. To get the water out, suck it out with vac and then blow air though with vac, or clean out foam below viewing port down to hull and wick it out with towels replaced daily for a while, or drill a small horizontal hole allowing water to drain into aisle, etc.

Good luck Dan,

Mark

dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Water under the potty Reply with quote

ppriest wrote:
I presume you've eliminated a leak of the fresh water in the potty as a possiblity.

This could really be the problem. It was on my boat. Surprised

"...we're all in the same boat..."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: