The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

16' Cruiser Tabs or no tabs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeff M

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 3:56 pm    Post subject: 16' Cruiser Tabs or no tabs Reply with quote

This is a posting for a customer that has just registered for the C-brats (Kepuhikid). He is considering tabs for his new 16 cruiser. He will be doing much of his boating alone. His concern is about balance underway. Anyone with tabs on a 16 that can help?
Chuck S

City/Region: Cleveland
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Amelia Anne
Photos: Amelia Anne
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff --

I've been looking at trim tabs since the first day I had my 16 Cruiser in the water in May '03. Boat is fine with two aboard, but with 1 or three, or if that second person moves a little the boat goes out of lateral trim very fast.

The boat is so butt heavy (seats are a full 2 feet aft of the 16 Angler's position) with engines, fuel, and battery on the stern that getting the bow down to stop pound in more than glass smooth water takes more than just power trim. The Honda-packaged SST hydrofoil does this part very well, but has so much lift that turns can get a little strange.

Why C-Dory put the battery to starboard is still a question, and placement of a kicker engine there makes the boat heel to starboard even more. I don't have a kicker mounted and won't until I can find a way to trim the boat back to level.

By coincidence about 10 minutes ago I had 8"x10" templates cut out of cardboard and tried them on the stern of my 16 Cruiser. They looked VERY big holding them in my hand, but not so bad on the back of the boat. This size matches the Bennett M80 sport tabs I'm considering. I was concerned they'd interfere with the swimstep -- we tube enroute many times. But the seem OK.

Measuring the pistons I noted I'd have to cut out part of the swim step. Is this cored? I think I can just pull it off, grab a big hole saw, and remove enough material for the top of the piston.

Looking forward to reading the responses before making this change.

-- Chuck
Wheeler Dealer

City/Region: Wheeler, OR
State or Province: OR
Photos: Denebola
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know that I can be a lot of help as I own a 16' Angler. I do know that with my wife and I on board I don't have run the trim all the way down on the Honda 50hsp main. There's not alot of borrow but I don't have to bury it all the time. That 2 feet of seat shift sure makes a big difference.

As for running solo, I mounted the kicker on the port side which works perfectly for the balance although I only weigh 150lbs. Also, I like the kicker in my left hand and rod in the right. I made a center mount steering tiller for my Honda 5hsp. (pics in the Denebola album).

The hydrofoil may do the trick for running alone and said that with two people it is fine. Be nice to try one out before dropping the $$$$ on tabs.

Jon

Rock-C

City/Region: Salem
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1988
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Rock-C
Photos: Rock-C
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wheeler Dealer wrote:

although I only weigh 150lbs.
Jon

I weighed 150 once. A long, long time ago, Cry

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: