View previous topic :: View next topic  
jlastofka

City/Region: Vista
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Bossa Nova
Photos: Bossa Nova
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:59 am    Post subject: New CD22 sink istallation Reply with quote

My new 22 cruiser was ordered by someone else, without sink and stove. Then the order was cancelled and I bought the boat, planning to install my own sink. I see the factory sink, tank, pump and faucet can be bought for just under $200, which doesn't sound too scary. I've been researching the Brats board photos and I see that mounting the sink "sideways" instead of "front to back" looks like a good idea. I'd like to leave out the stove and save counter space and just use a camping stove when I want it. At least for now.

Any comments on the new factory parts mentioned above? Anything really bad in there I should consider skipping? My boat has a full length shelf inside the double doors under where the sink and stove would be (about halfway up, about 18" deep). I guess this is standard. Does the water tank fit in with this somehow, or will I be cutting the shelf?....

Thanks for any input or picture links.

Jeff
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff,

The water tank is usually installed under the rear port seat. They use a 20 gal tank,
and it takes up about 1/2 the space under that seat. A shelf is usually constructed across the top. Part of the logic of putting the tank on the port side is that it can help balance the weight of the captain when single handed. 20 gals is a lot of water for most purposes and the water has a bit of a plastic taste to it. In practice, I find I use the water just for hand and dish washing and I rarely fill the tank to more than 5 gals full. I take bottled water for drinking. If I was to do it all over again, I'd install a saddle style, stainless tank of 8-10 gals. on the port side. This would be expensive as I'd probably have to have it custom made to fit under the gunnel and fit the shape of the boat, but it would leave a lot more storage space under the seat.

The factory sink, foot pump and faucets are fine. For some, an electric pump might be nice, but that's just one more thing to keep running. If you do put in a large tank, the only reason I can see to put in an electric pump is to use a T fitting and provide a fresh water wash down in the cockpit. Then, you might want the 20 gal capacity.

Kerry and Lisa

City/Region: Galveston
State or Province: TX
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 24 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Kid 'n' me
Photos: Kid 'n' me
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jeff. Congrats on your new boat!

Check with the factory about the the tank's height. There should be plenty of space beneath the shelf. The 25 (30?) gal water tank in our 24' TomCat is in the same location and doesn't come anywhere near half way up. If the tank height is a problem, I would consider shopping for one with dimensions that can be accomodated. A tank of lesser height is also preferable because of its lower center of gravity.

Best wishes,

Kerry
Wayne McCown

City/Region: Rochester
State or Province: NY
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Little Mac
Photos: Little Mac
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:01 pm    Post subject: Adding 2 Cents Reply with quote

I think the decision(s) you have articulated depend on your expected use of the boat. My boat has the standard/factory setup. I am pleased with it.

My use of the sink and water tank is very similar to Roger's on SeaDNA. I refill 16 oz. store-bought Aqua bottles with home-filtered water for making coffee, etc.

But I am also glad to have the stovetop at hand for heating the water... for coffee, my breakfast oatmeal, etc. The alcohol stovetop works wonderfully well and is very easy to light, operate, etc. (Admittedly, I only need a single burner, as I have never used both at the same time.)
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff-

You're getting a lot of good advice to sort out here!

If you have good reasons, go with your own intentions, otherwise the factory set up is good and balances the boat out. 20 gallons of water equals 160 lbs, and moving it from one side of the boat to the other has a profound effect on the boat's lateral balance. Heed Roger's advice about preserving the factory balance.

Be sure to leave space for installing a built-in stove later. Even if you don't decide to do it, the next owner might want to, and the resale value will reflect whether this is possible.

I have an electric pump, and it's a lot easier to install than a foot pump. However, the electric pump will go through your water supply much quicker than a hand or foot pump. Washing dishes uses more water than cooking, etc.

The chief advantage of a manual foot pump over a manual hand pump is that the former frees up both your hands simultaneously.

The larger 20 gallon tank will provide more water for washdown and shower uses, should you elect to install those utilities.

Good luck with whatever you do!

Joe.Teeth

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
416rigby

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Foggy Dew
Photos: Foggy Dew
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We don't need 20 gallons of water, and wanted the extra storage space. I removed the factory tank and replaced it with a 6 gallon tank from Tank Depot online. Much better for our use of the boat. Lots of storage space gained. I used the same foot pump and lines. A happy Brat received our 20 gallon tank for installation on his 27 footer...

Works for us

Rick

At last...home for good in the Great Northwest!

2001 22 Cruiser "Foggy Dew" 2006-2013
Adeline

City/Region: Vancouver
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: Adeline
Photos: Adeline
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have an electric pump
Me too. This little guy operates with a knee-switch and rarely needs to be re-primed(2 or 3 strokes of the Fynspray). Installation is a snap !

Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adeline wrote:
Quote:
I have an electric pump
Me too. This little guy operates with a knee-switch and rarely needs to be re-primed(2 or 3 strokes of the Fynspray). Installation is a snap !

Pete-

Good idea!

I have the older version of that pump with a twist knob/switch on the faceplate beside the spigot.

LINK to Description.

The knee activated switch would save water by allowing shorter bursts of water.

Joe.
jlastofka

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:16 am    Post subject: Stock sink installation? Reply with quote

The factory sent me most of the sink installation stuff for my CD22 cruiser, but forgot several items. I'll be calling them today. They also sent no diagrams or pictures.... I'm an engineer and can figure it out, but it would be nice to know the stock setup anyway. (My boat was ordered by someone without the sink, and I bought the boat after they cancelled.)

I guess I can pick a good spot for the deck fill plate. I wonder where they put it? A picture or dimension might have been nice. I also wonder where they put the sink drain fitting through the hull side. Again, I can pick a spot. The hose routing I can do to suit me. I assume they run it across the cockpit floor inside the cabin door threshold where you'd step over it entering the cabin.

I believe I'll mount the sink with the long dimension "sideways", as seen in a picture I found related to this thread or just poking around the photo section (I forget which). Better hand access for dish washing.

One item they forgot to send was the faucet (how could you forget the ....) so I'll need to wait to think about positioning that. Maybe near the left rear corner as I face the sink. Maybe centered? Could be nice to have it out of the way, or could be nice to have better reach for filling a bottle or something. Depends how easy it swivels, I guess. I could always slip a little hose on the end to fill bottles or ?? Depends what the end looks like, or if I modify it.

They didn't send the tank vent hull fitting, either. What's it look like? I assume it goes through the hull side. Where do they put it?

Any dimensions, comments, picture links showing the tank, plumbing, hull fittings, etc. would be appreciated. I'm finding the factory folks to be friendly to talk to, but it's a VERY slow process to learn anything from them.

Jeff
Chris

City/Region: Bend
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Rana Verde
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff...why don't you come on down to San Diego and look at my boat? That way you will see the entire factory install...take pics and measurements...looking at the install in person beats trying to figure out the location of everything from measurements and a few pics!
jlastofka

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:58 am    Post subject: San Diego sink visit Reply with quote

Chris,

That's a nice offer. My cell number is 760-415-2798. Maybe we can pick a good time for a short visit. I hope they can get the missing parts to me by the weekend. I'd like to get this stuff installed before the upcoming Lake Powell cruise. Time's a wastin'....

Jeff
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cabin, Interior All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: