The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Garhauer Davit on CD 25

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:38 pm    Post subject: Garhauer Davit on CD 25 Reply with quote

We put our Garhauer Davit on the CD 25 for several reasons--to hoist the 15 hp Honda Kicker onto the boat from its stand, or move it from the C Dory to the 10 1/2 foot inflatable. We also can pick up objects from the dock and swing them into the cockpit, or items from the cockpit to the splash well (like the Honda generator). Would it bring a person aboard? It would at least help get them out of the water, and into the splash well--which is better than leaving them in the water....

We put the kicker on the stb side, because it was already cluttered with the cables and hoses. There are 3 70 lb batteries on the port side to balance that weight.

I also put up a photo of the two AGM's we put on end in back of the water heater. These will give a back up house source for the refigerator and run a 1500 watt inverter to run the microwave when not pluged in to some 110 V power support. We have a split plug for the microwave--one socket for the mains power and one plug for the inverter--this does away with a switching inverter or the necessity for a transfer switch. The inverter will be turned off with a switch mounted aft of the water heater. (more photos of that in the next day or so).

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
ripple

City/Region: Mill Valley
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Ripple
Photos: Ripple
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,
I have the same davit that I kept from a boat that I sold. I can't tell from the picture, did you make a level base for the ball under the main tube, or did you install it flush on the angled surface of the splash well? I am considering mounting mine in the same place, but it seems that the davit might not rotate well if the ball is installed at an angle??
thataway

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can take photos of the blocks. I leveled the boat's cockpit with about a 1/2 degree aft drainage, to similate conditions we would have on the water. Then I used a level and bevel angle finder to deterimine the almount of slope on the block. The bottom block is made out of 3/4" thick starboard. There are a couple of holes drilled and flared in the bottom as well as cuts, and rough areas so 4200 would adhere. A 3/4" thick white pine block was made for under the splash well, with the same bevel angle. The holes were drilled for the bolts, thru the spash well. The holes in both blocks were drilled on a drill press to keep them at right angles to the top. The back up plate was used under the bottom fairing block, with standard washers and nylox nuts on the bottom.

Also I had used a level to be sure that the davit was straight up and down, in both lateral and fore and aft plane.

Our first use was to hoist the 70 lb batteries aboard--and the davit swiveled perfectly, with no force.
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use a 10 ½’ Achilles. Great dinghy, and this air floor is wonderful. Solved the problem of using the 9.9 Honda on both the C-Dory (as a get-me-home) and for the dinghy. Built a removable hoist to move the motor between the boat and dinghy. The first picture shows the unassembled parts, (Hoist Parts) which can be stored in the space under the motor well. Second, the mounting plate, (Hoist Plate) which is bolted to the motor well. Next the hoist assembled, and connected to the motor.(Hoist Assy) . The red strap takes out the torque caused by the motors’ weight. Last the hoist in action, with the dingy backed up, and Judy ready to hoist. (Hoist Motor) .
Just lift the motor off the bracket, turn it around and set it down on the dinghy. Works great, takes about 5 min. Judy on the boat, me in the dinghy. Also made motor plates for the dinghy to raise the motor 5”, as shown in the picture. (Motor Mount). Two plates of 3/16 Al, filled with starboard. Works great, dinghy now planes easier, and less spray. Thanks to Larry Roteman.

I also hope this post come out well. The pics are in the Journey On album, if it's all confusing

Boris
Dora~Jean

City/Region: Simi Valley
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Dora~Jean
Photos: Dora~Jean
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post Boris, excellent pictures. I'm going to mark this for possible use later in case I SUPER-SIZE my dingy motor (3hp Yami). Thanks!
Corsair F-31 Trimaran 1996-2002
MacGregor 26X 1988-1996
Glaspar Seafair Sedan 18 (2)
StarCraft 19 & 22
Catalina 17 & 22
Crestliner 19
+4 Previous, 1/2 sail, 1/2 power
thataway

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few comments about why I chose the Garhauer davit. I have been messing around with various davits for about 45 years. The one above is one we use at our home for the 12 foot aluminum skiff. This bow davit uses a trailer winch, the aft davit is identical, but uses a 2500 lb lift capacity Litton Strongarm 110 V winch. The base socket is about a foot high of double wall aluminum tubing, welded to a 1/4 " plate rolled to the contour of the piling, and lag bolted with 8 1/2" bolts. The center tubing had to have solid steel filling the aluminum double wall tubing to prevent bending under load. We also had to put the diagnal brace to protect the weld. We had a curved SS davit on the Cal 46, using 1" SS double wall pipe, and with solid steel in the center to prevent bending--it had a 24" "socket" it fit into. There was also a curved brace, with several standoffs to keep it solid--we lifted 15 and 25 hp commercial 2 stroke engines. We found that 3:1 was difficult to lift the engine easily for a lady. (the 9.9 and 15 hp Hondas weight about the same--about 117# for the LS model).

The Garhauer has 6:1 power for lifting (minus friction, which is minimal because of the design of the blocks). It has the SS brace and folds back on itself. It has not only the base, but also the anodized aluminum brace about 18" above the ball base and swivels easily so any item can be brought aboard the boat from the dock or water. It also fits under the camper canvas top. The line pulls direcly along the top thru a jam cleat, so you can cleat it off easily, and you are not left "holding the motor". It assembles in less than a minute.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: